Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Re: Prologue and Part I (Ch. 1-4)

The observation about a family reaction to a  sudden health crisis is dead on. Pardon the play on words. Individual  relationships are tested in ways that the parties never saw coming. Anger is a normal part of the initial reaction, so I was not p it off by Audrey's anger. I was put off by her continual use of her anger. I had the feeling that she had been angry with Joel, her children and herself for a very long time anf this crisi gave her the perfect vehicle to vent it. This anger comes out all  through part 1. Audrey appears to be a person that never learned how to control her emotions.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

READERJANE wrote:
The observation about a family reaction to a  sudden health crisis is dead on. Pardon the play on words. Individual  relationships are tested in ways that the parties never saw coming. Anger is a normal part of the initial reaction, so I was not p it off by Audrey's anger. I was put off by her continual use of her anger. I had the feeling that she had been angry with Joel, her children and herself for a very long time anf this crisi gave her the perfect vehicle to vent it. This anger comes out all  through part 1. Audrey appears to be a person that never learned how to control her emotions.

Definitely! Although I do get the sense that venting her anger is a rather common occurrence for her, not limited to the wake of Joel's health crisis.

She seems like she suppresses any emotions that hint at weakness and so it all comes out as a jumble of anger. It's the only emotion she knows how to express! It should be intersting to see if any cracks appear in the facade as the story progresses.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:

READERJANE wrote:

Definitely! Although I do get the sense that venting her anger is a rather common occurrence for her, not limited to the wake of Joel's health crisis.

She seems like she suppresses any emotions that hint at weakness and so it all comes out as a jumble of anger. It's the only emotion she knows how to express! It should be intersting to see if any cracks appear in the facade as the story progresses.

I agree with you both.  And yes, it appears that Audrey is not capable of showing any emotion other than anger.  It may turn out that she is using anger as a defense mechanism.  We will have to see how she copes as the story goes on. 
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
New User
KimE
0 Kudos

Re: Prologue and Part I (Chi. 1-4)

Audrey irritates me to death. I think she needs to learn some compassion for her own flesh and blood. I'm wondering why she's hiding behind her tough act. She obviously has feelings since she's so upset about her "new addition" to their family. I am very interested in seeing how things end up. Ms Heller has certainly held my interest with her unusual characters and storyline.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Joel remains the same pompous jerk (of course once in a coma, he is delightful)

:smileyvery-happy: 

0 Kudos

The conflicts in the family are many, and all seem to have roots with Audrey. She seems to thrive on the conflict that is around here, while appearing to be bothered by it.

I agree that Audrey is part of the problem, but I think Joel is equally, if not more, responsible.  His opinions are so fixed and overpowering that it would be a challenge to grow up under his shadow and develop the courage to think independently.   

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the late reply but I just got my book on Friday.  So far, I really enjoy the book and find Joel & Audrey quite interesting.  I was surprised that the characters started their life the way they did in 1962.  But I believe from what I have read so far, both individuals defy the normal characters for that time frame.

Audrey has a very hard personality, but she also does not stammer around her words wishing she could or would have said something.  However, in the same breath, she does not appear to have the wisdom to use common sense when she addresses certain situations or people.

I find Joel an interesting character regarding his law career and his beliefs in order to defend his clients.