Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Maria_H wrote:

It's in "Preferences" or "My Settings" under "Display & Privacy Settings" tab. Check "Enable Private Messages."

Luvstoread wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
Norma,
Because your PM is disabled, we are unable to send a confirmation to you.
Everyone, please, if you are expecting a confirmation of your spot in the club, please be certain of the following:
1- Your PM is enabled. 
2- You signed up for ONE club only, if you signed up for both, you will not be sent either. 
3- You signed up for one person on your account, not two or three others. This will disqualify you.
4- Check the News, Schedules & Updates thread for updates about confirmations.  We always include information about your submission's timestamp.
Many thanks!

Luvstoread wrote:

I haven't received my confirmation yet :smileysad:

Sure hope I get in.  This book sounds really interesting.

Norma

Message Edited by Maria_H on 09-25-2008 10:47 AM

How do I "fix" my PM????

I think I fixed it now.
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Contributor
dogearedcopy
0 Kudos

Hi! 

I'm a relative newbie to the B&N boards and this is my "first look" at First Look!

I've not read Zoe Heller's works before and I'm intrigued.

So, I've signed up and now I wait for a confirmation e-mail and an ARC?

How long before I know whether or not I've been accepted?

dogearedcopy

(in Southern Oregon)

Stay Cool & Keep the Faith
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mwinasu wrote:
 Thank you Barnes and Noble.  I just got my conformation.  I am Mwinasu on line and I live seven miles outside Wasilla Alaska. And for those who may be wondering, I live five miles closer to Russia than Sarah and I am up on a hill with binoculars and I still can't see Russia.

Great post mwinasu!  Alaska seems like the perfectly cozy place to have a stack of books to read and (hopefully) some uninterrupted time to read them unless you're busy enjoying your snow machine.

:smileywink: 

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 09-26-2008 06:29 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Reader 2
sleepless01
0 Kudos

Hello Karen,

If I'm lucky, this will be my second time as a participant in the First Look Book Club. I spent the last few weeks reading everything by Stephenie Meyer and Andrew Davidson, so I can't wait to find out what Zoe Heller has in store!

RNB

"No, you're not bored. You're boring. You have to take responsibility for creating an exciting and dynamic life." - Kerry Washington's mother
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I have heard nothing as yet but am hoping that I may participate. It will be an interesting discussion. Waiting anxiously.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

debbaker wrote:

I have heard nothing as yet but am hoping that I may participate. It will be an interesting discussion. Waiting anxiously.

Deb

Same here.   I am waiting anxiously too!
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Contributor
jabrke
0 Kudos

Hello fellow readers,

I am from northwest New Jersey.

WOW, two books to choose from--it was a hard choice.

I have never read anything from this author.  I'm hoping for a good read--it sounds interesting.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Luvstoread,

I am so excited-----I just got my confirmation! I am sure you probably have as well. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, I live in South Jersey, originally from North Carolina. I love to read, teach high school English, and have participated in First Look before---not on the last book however. 

I look forward to chatting with all of you. It will be nice to have fellow readers to talk to.

deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Contributor
gdawson
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to the discussion.  This book sounds great.

Gwen

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

debbaker wrote:

Luvstoread,

I am so excited-----I just got my confirmation! I am sure you probably have as well. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, I live in South Jersey, originally from North Carolina. I love to read, teach high school English, and have participated in First Look before---not on the last book however. 

I look forward to chatting with all of you. It will be nice to have fellow readers to talk to.

deb

hi Deb -- I haven't received mine yet :smileysad:.  Hopefully, soon. . .. .
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
New User
Sistahreader
0 Kudos

Hello Karen and Hello Everyone: This is my first time particpating in an online book club online dsicussion group. I look forwad to it and hope I can keep up.

K

New User
Sistahreader
0 Kudos

Hi Deb:

I also live in South Jersey not far from Atlantic City...I look forward to reading the book.

K

Frequent Contributor
lamorgan
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm LuAnn from the Pacific Northwest. I'm waiting (impatiently) for my copy of "The Believers." This is the third book I've read with First Look. I've enjoyed the discussions and I'm glad readers aren't afraid to admit when they don't like something about the book they are reading. We've had some  really lively discussions, so I'm looking forward to taking part in this one, too.
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Hi K:smileyhappy:

I also live not far from AC. Township! It is terrific to meet up online. This will be a great discussion.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

I'm Cathy from MA, where the rain is dampening my spirits. But, guess what, I just got my confirmation, I'm in! Waahooooo! What a bright light from BN. Lifted me right up.

I really look forward to this book and discussion. There is just nothing like the first look club. The discussions are great. Newbies and Oldies alike, the comments are thought provoking, insightful, delightful. Some of them are fightin' words, some are not. But all are fun to read.

See you all online.

Contributor
kolsonheld
0 Kudos

I'm Karin from North Dakota, and this is my first time participating in the book clubs. I'm looking forward to it!
Karin
Contributor
megan-smith
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey all! I'm so excited about reading this book. I just got my confirmation! This is actually my first venture in any type of book club, so I'm really looking forward to it!

--Megan

Message Edited by megan-smith on 09-26-2008 11:11 PM
Reader 2
3boyscreations
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone, This is my first time doing an online book club and I am looking forward to it.

Danielle

Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

KathleeneAnne wrote:

____ 

I'm Kathy from MA.  I have never read anything by this author .  First Look has introduced me to authors I would never have read without it.

I'm looking forward to this one.

______

I feel the same way about First Look, and also the other B&N book clubs. Without these clubs, I may never have ever heard about Stewart O'Nan, but after having read Last Night at the Lobster, I was hooked. I love this author, his writing and storytelling style, and am so glad to know about his work! I was lucky enough to have been chosen to participate in First Look's discussion for Songs for the Missing and it was a great experience, especially having access to the author, his thoughts/background for the book/his writing process, etc. which really enriched the reading experience for me.

New User
magill1968
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Mary Ann from South Puget Sound in Washington State.  This is my first "online" book club...looking forward to getting started!