Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Advice

What makes Amy Dickinson a good advice columnist? Who gives you the best advice?
Stephanie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Advice

I think Amy gives good advice for multiple reasons. First, she is thoughtful about her responses. Second, she has a group of people around her who she trusts. And, third, she can laugh at herself. Put all of that together and you have thoughts that others want to hear!

My best advice comes from my parents, my husband, and my close friends. They are there for me all the time, telling me the truth even when it hurts.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
emeraldisle
0 Kudos

Amy admires the women of her family who lead "small lives of great consequence". Most of us are not great and famous, and do lead such "small lives", but lives that greatly influence the people with whom we come in contact.  Amy connects to that and thus can speak to the many who read her column. 
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Gosh, I feel terrible. I have never read Amy's advise column nor had I heard of her until I made the decision of which book club to chose (the other choice was a bit to heavy for my taste). Sorry Amy!  I actually get my best advise from my daughter who is 20. She is wise beyond her years, a great listener and "calls it as she sees it".  She is also fiercely independent which she must of inherited from my Mighty Queen Grandmother.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
New User
LizzyLooEM
0 Kudos

I think what makes Amy a good advisor is she has been through a failed marriage, raised a daughter, has seen the woman in her family have their ups and downs and been so strong.She seems to have the  laid back relaxed self being.This probably is from being raised in a small city.  My advisor probably is my 43 year old daughter since all the woman in my family have passed.  I am kinda like the advisor for my friends and grandkids.
LizzyLoo
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Cocospals don't feel too bad, I wasn't familiar with her either until I started the book. Honestly I was interested in it more for the female bonding and empowerment aspect than anything else. I actually get my advice from my boyfriend who is incredibly tuned into the feelings of those around him. With that being said I think even from reading her memoir that it is obvious that she is a good advice columnist and that has everything to do with the ability to pick yourself up in hard times and relate to others, which she demonstrates in her novel.
~*Ash*~
Contributor
kayJ
0 Kudos

I think anyone who can sort of be atuned to what is going on around them would be good at advice. That any thing that happens to you is part of who you are and for you to be open to accept that some things are just out of your hands and you can only do what you can do. Someone not afraid to take a chance or open up and speak up. All good qualities!
New User
Bethany66
0 Kudos

I think the way Amy can relate to real life day to day issues and do so with empathy and humor is the reason she is the right person to be an advice columnist.  She has been in the trenches of the roles of family member, wife, ex-wife and single mother.  And to be able to laugh at yourself is a great gift to others.
Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

I'm afraid I haven't read Amy's column either. When I was a teenager in Michigan our local newspaper carried "Dear Abby" and I would occasionally read hers.  But, back to the question.  I would imagine Amy's advice would reflect her world experiences, intellect, warmth and sense of humor. Especially her willingness to laugh at herself and to see humor in just about anything. Of course growing up in such a closeknit community and family would foster her willingness to take chances, knowing they have her back.  As far as who gives me good advice...I don't usually ask for anyone's advice.  But, if I did, it would probably be my friend of 34 years, Steph.  The one who dragged me off to college kicking and screaming.   Thank you, Steph, it was worth it.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I have never seen Amy's column here in rural Oklahoma. I do remember vaguely Dear Abby when I was a kid. I think being close to several generations of her family including her daughter would help. Also the things we experience ourselves do. Amy seems to have a good sense of humor too and that is really necessary, to me, in getting through troubled times.

I have to say tho, the many things she calls "disasters" in her life, I had to giggle at and say, man ok, you and the women you know have been through a divorce and maybe it was even messy, which it doesnt really sound like hers was (emotionally I am sure it was tho, ok), but I was thinking, these should be the biggest disasters I ever went through! The shame of no designer clothes, LOL! Ok as an advice columnist, I would guess she actually gets these kinds of questions and people are probably really concerned about such things but I got the feeling she was too! Like with her own daughter and if that is so, I wanted to write her a dear Vivian answer hehehe.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

For those of you who have not read Amy's column before and would like to, click the link below.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/advice/chi-amydickinson,0,4715685.columnist

Stephanie
Contributor
Worducopia
0 Kudos

I think Amy does a great job with her advice column, I like her much better than Dear Abby or Ann Landers (though I liked them, too). Her advice often surprises me, it's not what I would have predicted, but it's spot on once I think about it.

I don't really get advice from people, I'm  usually the one to give the advice instead!

My blog: worducopia.blogspot.com
New User
tjsjohanna
0 Kudos

I'm in the "haven't read" column also but after reading her book, I would guess Ms. Dickinson is a good advice columnist for a couple of reasons.  First, she has an accessible writing style - she makes you feel like she can relate to you - she isn't perfect but she has learned some lessons along the way.  Also, she seems to have a pretty wide circle of friends and family with whom she can talk things through.  As far as actual advice goes, I can't really judge, since I haven't read her suggestions, but my guess is that it is common-sensical and empathetic.  As for who I get advice from?  My mom, mostly - though I occasionally get great suggestions from my walking friends!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I see the questions on that link, do you have to have a subscription or something to see Amy's advice to them?

Stephanie wrote:

For those of you who have not read Amy's column before and would like to, click the link below.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/advice/chi-amydickinson,0,4715685.columnist

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman
0 Kudos

Experience and the ability to research for answers when she gets a unique question.  I am certain her family played a role in helping her establish who she is  and her belief system.

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

I'm in the "haven't read" column as well.

Thank you Stephanie for the URL.  I'll be sure to check it out.

I think that it depends on the situation.  The best advice comes from someone who has been there or who takes the time to really look at the situation and helps me to evaluate all of my options.

Melissa

Contributor
cindysloveofbooksarc
0 Kudos

I think what makes Amy a good advice columnist is that she has been there and done that. She has the tshirt and wears it proud. I usually get advice from my friends.
My blog. Please feel free to check it out.

http://cindysloveofbooks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I've read Amy's advice column and agree that she is always spot on...

I think her experiences, combined with her thoughtfulness, compassion, character, common sense, the role models in her life, and her great sense of humor all work together to make her a great advice columnist.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Click the link for a question that interests you, Vivian, and the entire article will come up.  =)

vivico1 wrote:

I see the questions on that link, do you have to have a subscription or something to see Amy's advice to them?

Stephanie wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

You don't need a subscription, you just click on the title for the question, and the entire column will open.   

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online:47 members 431 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: