Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Chapter 12 - I'll Fly Away

Please post your comments and questions about Chapter 12 in this thread.
Stephanie
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 12 - I'll Fly Away

I loved this part:

"That morning Mom had said to me, "I only wish I had known Lena better."  I wondered how you could possibly know a person better whom you had been acquainted with for seventy-eight years and had seen almost daily for much of that time, but I think I understood what she meant....And when you love people you always want to know them better." 

My grandmother passed away a few months ago. Though she was 97, she was still very alert and fully herself though she had been slowly getting weaker and sleepier.  She was warm, gracious and incredibly loving.  Though I had known her well and spent a lot of time with her, there is so much more that I wish that I had thought to ask her and so much more that I wish I knew about her and her life with my grandfather.   (They had eloped, had six loving children, built a strong business and had been the center of our large family but he had passed away a few years ago.)  I knew them both well and often had dinner with them during the workweek and spent nearly every Sunday with them, but when you love people you always want to know them better.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I have three sisters and we are pretty close, but I'll bet their friends know them better than I.  I think maybe it's time to rectify that and also to learn as much as I can about my mother and her family.  She's 80 and the last of her five siblings. 
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Tarri,

You make an excellent point- we should get closer to those we love, and learn all we can about our family.  My own mother has shared much of her past and the past of her family with me- I've taken copious notes, but wish that I had just run a recorder instead.  Perhaps I can get her to tell me some stories this Thanksgiving.  :smileyhappy: 

Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

You always want to know more about someone you love, once they pass away.  My grandmother died in 2000.  I feel that I knew her well and that we shared a lot with each other.  I didn't know her for the first half of my life and I feel that I should have had more time to catch up with her about that.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Contributor
PCGator
0 Kudos

This comment is on a different subject, but regarding the days after Emily went to college, on page 118 Amy writes, "Emily and I sent letters back and forth-written on paper and sealed in envelopes."

At first I thought this sentence awfully redundant (how else would you send letters?) until I suddenly realized almost no one communicates this way anymore, particularly young adults.  Today's family news is sent through cell phones, instant messaging, texting, and for those of us who are really dinosaur-age,  through e-mail.  We've gained a world of convenience, but sacrificed a special little joy - of seeing that handwritten-addressed envelope in the day's mail and knowing someone thought of you.  I was glad to learn that there are a few of us out there that still send an old-fashioned letter now and then.

Carol

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Carol, I have two penpals who I met through a messageboard.  I have been writing to both of them for about five years, and just met one this summer for the first time.  I've never met the other, but we still write about every month.  It is so fun to go to the mailbox and get a letter, much more fun than getting an email, even though the words may be the same.   
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
Carol, I have two penpals who I met through a messageboard.  I have been writing to both of them for about five years, and just met one this summer for the first time.  I've never met the other, but we still write about every month.  It is so fun to go to the mailbox and get a letter, much more fun than getting an email, even though the words may be the same.   

For some neat thoughts about incorporating letter writing in our lives, pick up one of the books of Alexandra Stoddard, like Living a Beautiful Life or The Decoration of Houses. She even has one called Gift of a Letter, but I prefer her books on home decoration or grace notes for living.  (Thanks to her I keep a collection of colored pencils in a flower pot on a desk -- they are there to add a bit of spontaneous color to writing from this definitely-not-an-illustrator person.)   She has lots of other graceful ideas from which to pick and choose, if you don't let her seem too, too much.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 886 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: