Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Chapter 4 - Nothing's Too Much Trouble

Please post your comments and questions about Chapter 4 in this thread.
Stephanie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 4 - Nothing's Too Much Trouble

I loved the description and stories of this house! It reminded me of the movie, "The Money Pit," which someone else already mentioned. With some hard work, money, and lots of love, this house went from just a house to a home.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Buying a home in a small town is not like buying one anywhere else, especially if you're a newcomer, or, as it were, an outsider.  When Amy describes her family "accidentally" dropping by and seeing Amy and Emily on the porch with the real estate agent, I had to laugh. 

I think the whole town of LaFargeville turned out (however surreptitiously)  to watch the movers unload the two huge semis (they were very loosely packed!)  that pulled up and blocked Rt 411 (Main St, but not called such) on a warmish day in July four and a half years ago.  I have since made my escape back to warmer climes but I think the small town experience was good for my children for a time. 

So when Amy talks about Freeville, I think of LaFargeville, which, for those of you who do not feel like looking it up, is about 75 miles north of Syracuse.  The house she bought sounds suspiciously like the one across the road from us. 

Stephanie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I believe she bought my first house, we even paid the same amount.  However, at my first house it was $5000 not $1000 to fix everything.   Does everyone buy the same first house? 
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

I really had to laugh at the description of the hourse the first time Amy spotted it.  The writing almost had a Rodney Dangerfield-ish quality to it. "The house looked like a child's drawing of a house if the child had no talent and was in a hurry. It was the house equivalent of a guy who had gone on a bender and been kicked out of rehad. If this house had parents, they would have disowned it and moved to Buffalo...."  Great one liners!
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Contributor
Tonya
0 Kudos

Someone hit the nail on the head when she was describing the house she just bought as a second home, being like the one in "The Money Pit." That is such an accurate description. I had to laugh when she was describing the ceiling fans and the carpet on the stairs, and then sliding down.

Amy really has a way with words and leaves you wanting more.

Chapter 5 is calling me!

Tonya

Contributor
shopdaisy
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed the way she described the first time she saw the house, the description of the inside, and the issues with it.  There are so many things that is great about this chapter but the one thing that got me was that she bought a second home.  It makes me realize that no matter what life hands you, there are so many opportunities out there.  You just have to recognize it and do it.  I love the intimacy of her family, the way they are there for her and so involved.  I think it is great to have such a small community. 

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Great title for this chapter!  Nothing is ever too much trouble when it involves your child and especially your child's happiness.  Buying a house in Freeville and offering Emily the opportunity to get to know her family despite all the hardships for Amy was a wonderful thing to do. 

Amy has a great sense of humor and it really shines in this chapter.  I don't often laugh out loud when reading, but the front door falling off and stair slidings were hilarious. 

Cost to replace/repair anything associated with the house....$1000.  Cost of sharing her experiences priceless!

TC

Contributor
PCGator
0 Kudos

I also enjoyed both the descriptions of the house and the trick-or-treating stories (very timely since Halloween is day after tomorrow!)

This quote from page 70 stood out to me, ... my leave-taking didn't seem to take.  I always seemed to travel in the same direction, even when I didn't specifically intend to - my personal compass was permanently set toward home.

That rings so true!  I had ambitious plans after graduating from school - leave Florida behind, live in a big city, pursue exciting career, etc. etc..... and sure enough, I wind up years later settled down less than 20 miles from my own home town.  It reminds me of the scene in the original Star Wars movie, when Luke and Ben realize they are involuntarily being pulled toward the Death Star.  They were hopelessly caught in a tractor beam, being reeled in even though that's not at all the destination they wanted or had intended.  And yet, that is where they must go, and in the end that's where they needed to be to complete their life's story. 

Carol

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Like shopdaisy, I really enjoyed the way that Amy described the way that she'd first seen the house and the processing of buying and settling into the home.  

"In retrospect, I realize that I didn't exactly inspect my little house in Freeville carefully before buying it, though Emily and I went through it together and noticed that certain houselike elements, such as doors, a staircase, toilet, and the sinks, were in fact present."

We just bought our first apartment in NYC and when we first saw it we had a general impression of how much we liked it and that it had the basic elements.  Though after we made an offer, I couldn't exactly recall the details of the place and it took several return visits and actually moving in to slowly discover everything that we missed.

I love the way the chapter weaves so much humor into these personal milestones! 

Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Please post your comments and questions about Chapter 4 in this thread.
I love the description of the house she bought for $58K!  Where all the repairs - regardless of what they are cost $1,000!  Sounds familiar!  Too funny and too true.  I'd love to hear Amy read from this book as I bet she'd be quite entertaining.  The house anchors her somewhat in Freeville while she still lives in DC and I hope it ends up being a good decision.  Time to pull up the carpeting on the stairs!!  And hope that there is a good oak surprise below!
I also enjoyed her contrast with some of the other students in college and how those that have family money and an allowance just assume that everyone else does too.
The Halloween stories bring back memories - those stories always scared me so much - perhaps why I am not a fan of camping (the hookman) -  preferring the people and noise of the city.
The relationship between Amy and Emily is once to be almost jealous of - there is a mutual respect and friendship.  I hope it endures when Emily is in her teens.
Susan 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Susan,

I know just what you mean when you say that Amy and Emily's relationship might make one a bit jealous!  The relationship between them might have been filled with angst, but it seems Amy found just the right balance between being involved and letting Emily do her own thing. 

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 841 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: