Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Chapter 7 - Failing Up

Please post your comments and questions about Chapter 7 in this thread.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 7 - Failing Up

I love "failing up" and found the way Dear Amy came into being very interesting.  When she told the Washington bureau chief that she had to turn down the job because she had another job (raising a person) I knew that he would be calling her with a great opportunity. 

It was also very interesting to learn how September 11, 2001 changed the other people's futures.  The trip to the grocery store to stock up on the essentials (Twizzlers and diet pop) is something we all did, although I did buy some spaghetti-os too. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:

Tarri wrote:

I love "failing up" and found the way Dear Amy came into being very interesting.  When she told the Washington bureau chief that she had to turn down the job because she had another job (raising a person) I knew that he would be calling her with a great opportunity. 

It was also very interesting to learn how September 11, 2001 changed the other people's futures.  The trip to the grocery store to stock up on the essentials (Twizzlers and diet pop) is something we all did, although I did buy some spaghetti-os too.  {Emphasis added.}

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
dege
0 Kudos

I loved the whole concept of "failing up". It's funny how better opportunities in life have a way of finding you and putting a stop to the second guessing about whether or not the right decision was made.
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

I love the idea of failing up, too!  There are moments when you feel that life is conspiring in your favor and she captures this with such humor.   There were so many other parts to this chapter that I appreciated: (1) the way that she acknowledged the people who trusted her, mentored her,  and helped her career and life grow, (2) how she discovered that she was in the perfect position to offer advice to others ("It's not that I'm a natural at giving advice, in fact, I couldn't think that I'd ever been asked my opinion on a personal dilemma, but as the plankton at the end of my family's food chain, I have been on the receiving end of plenty of advice (all of it unsolicited).  I thought of my mother and her three older sisters and my own two older sisters. In my family, the advice flows downward, and I'm at the bottom of the hill holding a bucket."), and (3) her essential truth about garbage bags and packing and how "Anything put in a garbage bag, no matter how precious, has a way of becoming garbage once it's in a bag.(p. 139)

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

gl wrote:

...her essential truth about garbage bags and packing and how "Anything put in a garbage bag, no matter how precious, has a way of becoming garbage once it's in a bag.(p. 139)

I agree with the garbage bags statement.  I have moved twice and things were put into garbage bags that I still haven't opened and I have been in my house for two years now.

I also like this chapter because I love when Amy says that her other job is raising a person.  It's true though, raising a person is another job entirely.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:

gl wrote:

...her essential truth about garbage bags and packing and how "Anything put in a garbage bag, no matter how precious, has a way of becoming garbage once it's in a bag.(p. 139)

I agree with the garbage bags statement.  I have moved twice and things were put into garbage bags that I still haven't opened and I have been in my house for two years now.

I also like this chapter because I love when Amy says that her other job is raising a person.  It's true though, raising a person is another job entirely.

When our son was three months old, we returned to the Midwest for his baptism in my hometown church.  My husband packed each day of baby's clothes and diapers in a garbage bag.  It was a little embarrassing if we had to go through a hotel lobby for our room at night, but most nights were motels and his method worked wonderfully well!  (He did have very good skills at packing a car for get-aways!)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

One of the things I love about Amy's memoir is that it pulls our stories out of us.  I've really enjoyed reading your posts for this chapter, and of the times in your lives that Amy's story caused you to remember and share here. 

Stephanie
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed that whole idea of failing up.  How clever!  Another fun and interesting chapter that made me smile and chuckle.  As a resident of the lovely city of Chicago I do hope that the years Amy and Emily have spent there so far have been fun.  I look forward to book signings when the book is published and will be there in line to have my ARC signed...I am really enjoying this group of stories.

I do have a question about the cat and the chronology of the chapters...I thought she drove up from DC to Cornel and Freeville with Pumpkin - that would have been difficult if Pumpkin moved with them to Chicago, right...

Susan 

Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 520 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: