Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

Re: Dickinson's Family

While I would have liked to know more details of Amy's family, I got the feeling that they were "Mighty" due to the support they got from each other. I could relate to Amy and her "Mighty Queens" by my own life experiences.
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

I agree that it would have been even richer if the book had fleshed out the description of her family and their shared experiences. I expected to relate to the bonding and their closeness but feel that you didn't get to know enough about the other characters. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

I have to wonder, if there was more written about the other Mighty Queens would it have overshadowed the relationship between Amy and Emily?
April
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:
I have to wonder, if there was more written about the other Mighty Queens would it have overshadowed the relationship between Amy and Emily?

April -- Depends on how it was done.  It need not necessarily have done so, although it probably would have been a more difficult book to write, requiring both more research and more rewriting.  Nor, do I think the title necessarily implied that the book was primarily about Amy and Emily, at least that was not my expectation from either the title or the book blurbs, although the point is well taken that they, too, are Mighty Queens of Freeville.

Amy has explained why she has written as she has -- respect the requests of living persons.  I think at this point we each probably serve ourselves best by simply accepting that and enjoying what we have received, whatever our expectations or desires might have been -- or perhaps even still are.  On the other hand, I also think it is totally fair to write a review that calls this aspect of the book to the attention of future potential readers.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I think the line of thought regarding the "Mighty Queens" of Amy's extended family follows Amy's own viewpoint perfectly: "We are what we do."   Her mother set an amazing example for her- rather than "throw her ring in the creek" or toss in the towel and give up when her husband left her with a passel of children and a mountain of debt, she worked hard, went back to school and made an even better life for herself.  No words necessary there for me- her actions from the past showed Amy what she needed to do, and her actions show all of us what to do. 
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I think the line of thought regarding the "Mighty Queens" of Amy's extended family follows Amy's own viewpoint perfectly: "We are what we do."   Her mother set an amazing example for her- rather than "throw her ring in the creek" or toss in the towel and give up when her husband left her with a passel of children and a mountain of debt, she worked hard, went back to school and made an even better life for herself.  No words necessary there for me- her actions from the past showed Amy what she needed to do, and her actions show all of us what to do. 

I love that!  "We are what we do."  So simple, so true. 

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 269 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: