Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Discussions

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've posted some questions for discussion, and I'd like to remind all of you to hold off on replying to them until our book discussion officially begins on Monday.

I am open to suggestions as to how you'd like to proceed through the book itself - for instance, would you like me to break the book down into sections, or would you like to have a thread for each chapter?  Either would be a great way to discuss this memoir.  I have no doubt we will all have plenty to say!   Also, if there is a topic of interest that is not addressed at any time during our discourse, please feel free to post a message about it, or let me know and I'll do it for you.

Happy Reading!

Stephanie
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Re: Discussions

Hi Stephanie - I was thinking it would be great to discuss it chapter by chapter. That gives ppl the ability to discuss the book all the time, but I would try to associate it with a schedule. So ppl know when they should be done with the book. Just a thought! Can't wait until tomorrow!

Ash

~*Ash*~
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

I would like a thread for each chapter. That way those who received their books late will still be "on time" for the discussion.  Maybe it would be a good idea to give date range for each chapter...like Oct 20-23 for chapter one, etc so that those who get ahead will have to wait for the rest of us.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

I agree with the chapter by chapter discussion, but to try and give a date for each chapter.  This would be helpful for people who find it harder to keep up with the discussion.  They would be able to read it chapter by chapter instead of larger sections at once.  There could also be a section towards the end for the book in whole.  Can't wait to start the discussion.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie,

The format doesn't matter to me. (I am already putting together my answers to the questions you posted, and look forward to the discussion.) I see that others have mentioned chapter by chapter, but might we also discuss themes, relationships, more of what you have posted?  

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I agree with you Donna on some theme threads too because there will be some things to talk about that without a seperate thread, they would have to be covered on the end of the book thread, because they develop as you go along. BTW, you really are "putting together answers" for questions not asked yet, in a non graded bookclub?? lol, talk about dedication! :smileywink: OK, I just previewed this and read that your answers are for the questions up so far, but left that part here cause it was kinda funny hehe.

DSaff wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

The format doesn't matter to me. (I am already putting together my answers to the questions you posted, and look forward to the discussion.) I see that others have mentioned chapter by chapter, but might we also discuss themes, relationships, more of what you have posted?

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

LOL  I like what I see so far.  :smileyhappy:

vivico1 wrote:

I agree with you Donna on some theme threads too because there will be some things to talk about that without a seperate thread, they would have to be covered on the end of the book thread, because they develop as you go along. BTW, you really are "putting together answers" for questions not asked yet, in a non graded bookclub?? lol, talk about dedication! :smileywink: OK, I just previewed this and read that your answers are for the questions up so far, but left that part here cause it was kinda funny hehe.

DSaff wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

The format doesn't matter to me. (I am already putting together my answers to the questions you posted, and look forward to the discussion.) I see that others have mentioned chapter by chapter, but might we also discuss themes, relationships, more of what you have posted?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Looks as though chapter by chapter will work for everyone.  There will of course be themes that we discuss separately from the chapter discussions, and those will come up naturally, I'm sure.  I'll be certain to post a "whole book discussion" also, but as to time restrictions on the chapter discussions, I'd hate to leave anyone behind.  I think as long as someone is interested in posting in a thread, we can certainly go back and revisit it no matter where we are in our actual reading.  I hope that makes sense.  As to those who want to read ahead, that's fine too - online books discussions lend themselves well to flexibility. 
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
emeraldisle
0 Kudos

How many people usually participate in a discussion? For the number of "Introductions", it seems as if not many of these readers have posted. I wonder what would make more readers get involved.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

You have to consider the fact that the same person views a thread multiple times throughout a book discussion.  For instance, I have personally viewed this thread at least half a dozen times.  Other people will look, not find a reason to comment, and then each time a new post is added, look again.   Seeing 1000 views for a post with 300 replies might merely mean that each of those 300 looked at the thread 3 or 4 times.  

And then, some people just like to read through the posts and only reply to a few when they felt they had something new to contribute.   Some never reply at all, and that's fine too.   Each person is free to experience the book club his or her own way. 

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Stephanie -- it was my understanding that part of the exchange for receiving an ARC was to contribute at least once to the book club threads, preferably with a review of the book if only once?

Stephanie wrote:

You have to consider the fact that the same person views a thread multiple times throughout a book discussion.  For instance, I have personally viewed this thread at least half a dozen times.  Other people will look, not find a reason to comment, and then each time a new post is added, look again.   Seeing 1000 views for a post with 300 replies might merely mean that each of those 300 looked at the thread 3 or 4 times.  

And then, some people just like to read through the posts and only reply to a few when they felt they had something new to contribute.   Some never reply at all, and that's fine too.   Each person is free to experience the book club his or her own way. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Pepper,

When I said some people may chose to not reply at all, I was referring generally to all the groups on B&N, not specifically to First Look groups. 

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
umlaut
0 Kudos

I have been debating with myself about posting this message, while I was reading this book; I didn’t feel very enthusiastic about the storyline.  Some of the plot lines were repetitive for example her dad’s departure and her divorce. I have read only few memoirs and to me, Amy’s memoir didn’t seem anything extraordinary, I kept waiting to read more about Amy’s position at NPR and how she deals with some of the issues at this position. All in all in felt disappointed in this book since nothing new is reveled at first few chapters.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

umlaut wrote:

I have been debating with myself about posting this message, while I was reading this book; I didn’t feel very enthusiastic about the storyline.  Some of the plot lines were repetitive for example her dad’s departure and her divorce. I have read only few memoirs and to me, Amy’s memoir didn’t seem anything extraordinary, I kept waiting to read more about Amy’s position at NPR and how she deals with some of the issues at this position. All in all in felt disappointed in this book since nothing new is reveled at first few chapters.

For many of us, I think Mighty Queens needs to be read alongside something meatier or heavier -- then perhaps we can enjoy more the lightness and life zest that she communicates -- not that her tale is all roses and gravy, but it is not Anne Enright's The Gathering  or War and Peace   or Jerry Toobin's The Nine, which have been sharing my reading time (you undoubtedly have your current equivalents).

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,281 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: