Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]
We are delighted to offer Amy Dickinson's forthcoming memoir as our First Look Book Club selection.

In The Mighty Queens of Freeville, Dickinson offers an engaging and heartfelt account of the hurdles and triumphs of her life, from divorce to single motherhood to her current role as confidante to advice seekers from all over the country. While others sought her wisdom and guidance, Dickinson found her greatest source of strength and support from her family. We are pleased that Dickinson will be available to talk with us about the book in October, months before the book will be published.

You will receive a free advance reading copy and access to the discussion with the author. The ARCs will mail in later this month and the discussion will begin on October 20. The book club will be visible to the public, but only those enrolled will be able to post on the board and discuss the book with the author and other readers. Your participation in previous First Look Book Clubs does not automatically grant you access into the next, so everyone who is interested in this book and discussion will have to enroll.

Here is how:

1. Sign in
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in from the link in the upper left of this page. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book.
If you are not a registered book club user, you can register by clicking on the register link in the upper left of this page. It's easy, and it's free. Be sure to verify your email address to complete the registration process.

2. Submit your information
Now that you are signed into your account,  (sorry enrollment is closed). A new window to a private message (PM) will appear. (Two things you need to know to be sure that this window appears: Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in My Settings > Display & Privacy Settings and your computer should allow pop-ups.)

Now that your private message is open, enter the following information into the window, as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
(your name)
(your mailing address, including zip)
(your daytime telephone number)

Note the following:
  • Only one selection per person, so please choose carefully.  Please do not register for both, as doing so will disqualify you from both clubs.
  • This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to anyone else.
  • Be sure to give us all the information required and do not include any other text in this message other than what is requested.
  • Do not post the requested information on the boards. It should only go into a private message.

Click "Send Message"

You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message. It may take several days before this confirmation arrives, so please be patient. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the welcome thread and introduce yourself!

These ARCs are limited and we will stop taking requests once we run out.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 09-15-2008 12:53 PM
Message Edited by Maria_H on 11-18-2008 10:05 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
jose408
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Excuse Well i was woundering I just put the mailing adress and the zip code but i didnt put the City or State were i lived should i send you a new one or just stick with the one i send you
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

I received an acceptance email to this First Look, but never received the book.  Could anyone tell me if it's too late to get a copy?

Thanks

kmensing

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

It looks like the original shipment was damaged.  Another one is on its way!

kmensing wrote:

I received an acceptance email to this First Look, but never received the book.  Could anyone tell me if it's too late to get a copy?

Thanks

kmensing

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Maria -- is enrollment still open?  If it is, I want to suggest joining this discussion to someone.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi Pepper,

It is.  In fact, Amy will be sending you all a PM to invite your Mighty Queens to the Book Club.

Thanks for checking!

Peppermill wrote:

Maria -- is enrollment still open?  If it is, I want to suggest joining this discussion to someone.

Pepper

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Maria,

I hadn't thought about this until someone brought it up but when is the last day of this club? I see the start date of the 20th, and I have assumed the end date was the end of the month as we move into the clubs for November. But someone pointed out that the end date was not listed.

Thanks. :smileyhappy: 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Good question.  The end date is Friday, November 14.

Thanks.

vivico1 wrote:

Maria,

I hadn't thought about this until someone brought it up but when is the last day of this club? I see the start date of the 20th, and I have assumed the end date was the end of the month as we move into the clubs for November. But someone pointed out that the end date was not listed.

Thanks. :smileyhappy: 

Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 559 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: