Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Introduction to The Mighty Queens of Freeville

Please post your comments and questions about the introduction in this thread.

In this and the chapter threads, please remember to limit your discussion to the chapter to which each thread refers so as to avoid posting spoilers.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
emeraldisle
0 Kudos

Re: Introduction to The Mighty Queens of Freeville

One important point Amy makes in the Introduction is that even "famous"people (as she is now) live the same everyday lives that everyone does. One day Amy is appearing on the Today show and the next day Joan, the owner of the Bright Day laundromat  is handing Amy quarters so she can do her laundry. Even famous people carry out the garbage and hassle with their children and have husbands leave them. No one is immune from the ups and downs of "real" life. 
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I think what I find most interesting about the introduction is that Amy Dickinson and her family could be any family..  She and her sisters could be me and my sisters, her mother could be my mother, and her town is just like every small town in America where everyone knows you and you cannot get away with anything.  
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

What struck me about the introduction was on the last page of it where she wrote about the photos Amy and her sisters found. "Women leaning against Chevy Impalas or pickup trucks, smoking cigarettes with their arms flung around friends; doing handstands on the lawn-or showing off their new babies, new shoes or beloved house cats"  This could be my family, this could be your family.  I doubt there is a family around who doesnot have such a picture somewhere. This was my first clue that this book was not just about Amy and her family, but about anyones family.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Oh my - what can I say about that absolutely grabbing introduction.  You got me on the first page!  The voice is wonderful.  I anticipate that this book will both inspire me, make me cry and also make me wonder why I don't have this type of relationship with my sisters.  Could it be because most of the jerky husbands stuck around?  Mine didn't - perhaps one of the reasons why I anticipate being able to relate to this story more than ever expected.  I look forward to reading more - most likely late into the night as I won't be able to put it down.

Susan

Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

The introduction could also be an introduction to my life. My Mom, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, cousins and other members of the small town that I came from, who inspired and instructed me through my "growing up".

My favorite sentence is the last one. "These are the women of my world-the Mighty Queens of Freevile-who have led small lives of great consequence in a tiny place that we call home.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

danikl wrote:

The introduction could also be an introduction to my life. My Mom, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, cousins and other members of the small town that I came from, who inspired and instructed me through my "growing up".

My favorite sentence is the last one. "These are the women of my world-the Mighty Queens of Freevile-who have led small lives of great consequence in a tiny place that we call home.

Thanks for the reminder, that was a great line! One of many in this book. I wish I had written down more of them the first time through because now I have to go looking for them again. At least I know I will enjoy reading it!

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

I agree that this could be anybody's family.  You don't think of the fact that "famous" people go through the same things we do.  I liked that the introduction grabbed my attention and I wanted to know more about Amy's life.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 664 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: