Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: MIghty Queens

We women can often be dramatic (we deserve to be!) but I think the strongest women or the strongest moments in a woman's life are often when they just quietly go about their business and do what needs to be done. There seems to be an inner strength that takes over and allows them to do what they have to do.
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

I think the mighty Queen is almost always your mother. Mine was. Unfortunately she died rather young so we never got to know each other during the grandmother stage. Still, she gave me the outlook on life and the support that have helped me accomplish so many things. It's great to have a mighty queen in your life!
Author
Amy_Dickinson
0 Kudos

My absolutely favorite part of sharing this book with others is hearing about the Mighty Queens in everyone's life. Oh -- the stories! It reminds me that this book is not just about my own story. It's not just about my home town. It's about all of the people who have influenced those of us smart enough to pay attention.

My daughter Emily named the women in her life "The Mighty Queens" and I now realize that this concept really resonates with people. I love the idea that people are inspired to share their own descriptions of ordinary women leading extraordinary lives of great consequence; true unsung heroines. So let's sing about them now!

I'd like to share some of these stories on a web site, coming soon, and will post a list I've composed, called "You Know You're a Mighty Queen If..."

I'll do so in a future post and will encourage readers to add to it...

Amy

Learn more about The Mighty Queens of Freeville.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I think the Mighty Queens resonates so well with women (Mighty Kings doesn't have the same effect) because women have a quiet strength. Sometimes they have to dig down deep to get through something that they never dreamed was possible. Men reveal their strengths differently and I tend to think of them as physical stronger where women often have more emotional strength (I'm generalizing).
Contributor
lsmith3125
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

lsmith3125 wrote:
  I, too, come from strong female stock and am proud that we recognize that strength in ourselves.  My "Mightiest" Queen would be my little sister.  I am the caregiver in the family by temperment and always assumed that I would care for my mother in her later years.  But 15 years ago my youngest son was left a quadriplegic on a ventilator when his bike was hit by a car.  I still assumed that I would care for Mom right along with full-time care for my son.  But my dear little sister stepped right up and without a word began keeping tabs on our mom and, when the time came, moved her into her own home.  Mom is 92 now and doing relatively well (as is my own 25 year old son) and we all have my youngest sister to thank!
You sound like a "Mighty Queen" yourself.  Blessings on you and to you!
Well, thank you very much, Pepper!  I'll take all the help that I can get!

Linda 

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

The Mighty Queens in my life are my mom and her two best friends from grade school.  My mom just turned 80 and her best friends were like more mothers to us when we were growing up.  Also, my three sisters and I have several good friends who are always there for me. 

From my mom and her two friends I've learned that you can be friends with someone for over 70 years and you don't have to have the same interests or goals.  From my sisters I have learned that it's okay to be myself and there will always be someone who has my back.  I've also learned to share.  From my friends I've learn all of the above, plus that people don't have to share your DNA to be family.

Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 719 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: