Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Amy_Dickinson
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Amy Dickinson

Stephanie wrote:

Amy,

I'd love to hear about your writing process.  Did you do a lot of planning and outlining, or did you just let it flow, so to speak?  Also, how did you keep up with your busy life, and find the time to write your story? 

And during that process, were you tempted to try to paint a rosier picture than you actually experienced?

Thanks,

I generally write my daily column in bunches, working from Sunday-Wednesday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday I tried to concentrate on writing the book. I did actually map it out a great deal before writing it -- this outline and a couple of completed chapters formed the proposal, and it was on the strength of the proposal that I got a contract from Hyperion to write the book. The deadline was tight and I tried to write a chapter every two weeks. I tend to write and finish my work in a fairly polished way and I'm happy to say there weren't various drafts to contend with -- we had a pretty easy and light edit before the manuscript was considered complete. I'm very proud of my little book -- and proud of the life I've lead that contributed to it. I never considered "cleaning up" the events of my life, though in general I do tend to have a fairly rosy outlook, which helps -- in my writing and in my life....

Learn more about The Mighty Queens of Freeville.
Contributor
Worducopia
0 Kudos

Amy, I love your column and enjoyed the book very much. Any plans for other books in the near future?
My blog: worducopia.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Amy_Dickinson wrote:

I generally write my daily column in bunches, working from Sunday-Wednesday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday I tried to concentrate on writing the book. I did actually map it out a great deal before writing it -- this outline and a couple of completed chapters formed the proposal, and it was on the strength of the proposal that I got a contract from Hyperion to write the book. The deadline was tight and I tried to write a chapter every two weeks. I tend to write and finish my work in a fairly polished way and I'm happy to say there weren't various drafts to contend with -- we had a pretty easy and light edit before the manuscript was considered complete. I'm very proud of my little book -- and proud of the life I've lead that contributed to it. I never considered "cleaning up" the events of my life, though in general I do tend to have a fairly rosy outlook, which helps -- in my writing and in my life....

I was curious to hear how you handle writing your column. Do you always work on it from Sunday - Wednesday or was that just while you were working on your book? Do you choose the letters yourself or does someone help you with that part? You must recieve a huge quantity of mail. It seems like such an interesting career although sometimes a bit scary with the kinds of things you must read about!  :smileysurprised:

Author
Amy_Dickinson
0 Kudos

Worducopia wrote:
Amy, I love your column and enjoyed the book very much. Any plans for other books in the near future?

I have a second book in the works -- another memoir, this time of my childhood.

But I'm dying to write a novel, really. I hope someone will let me.

Amy

Author
Amy_Dickinson
0 Kudos

I always work on my column from Sunday-Wednesday, mainly because of the editing schedule and the syndication schedule. I try to schedule everything else on Thursdays and Fridays and mainly that works out well. I choose all the letters myself and yes, I receive a ton of mail. I consider choosing the letters to be the greatest challenge and biggest pleasure of my job. I love the way people write when they are describing their problems and many times my heart breaks when I read about the issues people are dealing with in their daily life. And then sometimes they're just silly, and of course I like that, too. Mainly I feel honored to be graced with this job and to be a witness to the private dilemmas and dramas of average people (like me).

Amy

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Speaking of which, Amy, check your private messages in that little envelope at the top. :smileyhappy:

Amy_Dickinson wrote:

I have a second book in the works -- another memoir, this time of my childhood.

But I'm dying to write a novel, really. I hope someone will let me.

Amy

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 686 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: