Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Questions for the Editor

Please welcome Gretchen, the editor of The Mighty Queens of Freeville to the discussion.  Post your questions for her here. 
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Editor

I have two questions. Who choses the title? Most of us felt that  the characters of the women in Amy's life who make up "The Mighty Queens", other than herself and her daughter, were not explored enough at all, for us to understand what made them mighty, so we don't feel the title really matches the story, that it might have been an afterthought. I thought maybe about 50 more pages of some kind of stories about her Freeville women, the queens, would have added to the story and make sense of the title.

Also, which cover is going to be the final one? The one on this club site some of us didn't like very much, pretty dimestore novel looking and also for me, the half shot of a picnic scene didn't match the story either. I thought maybe either an old picture of those women, like the picture she had of them, all around a car, smoking and laughing, or now, a cover with women sitting in a diner talking like they do, rather than a picnic would have been good. Barring that, I personally like the cover on the one we got in the mail with the barn and the wind vane showing the directions. It seemed more like something showing the direction home and the cow on top fits too. 

Thank you for your time. :smileyhappy: 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I have two questions. Who choses the title? Most of us felt that  the characters of the women in Amy's life who make up "The Mighty Queens", other than herself and her daughter, were not explored enough at all, for us to understand what made them mighty, so we don't feel the title really matches the story, that it might have been an afterthought. I thought maybe about 50 more pages of some kind of stories about her Freeville women, the queens, would have added to the story and make sense of the title.

Also, which cover is going to be the final one? The one on this club site some of us didn't like very much, pretty dimestore novel looking and also for me, the half shot of a picnic scene didn't match the story either. I thought maybe either an old picture of those women, like the picture she had of them, all around a car, smoking and laughing, or now, a cover with women sitting in a diner talking like they do, rather than a picnic would have been good. Barring that, I personally like the cover on the one we got in the mail with the barn and the wind vane showing the directions. It seemed more like something showing the direction home and the cow on top fits too. 

Thank you for the questions and what great comments. Amy came up with the title which we loved here at Hyperion because all of us related to the idea that there are special people in our lives who help us through. For me, the book doesn't need to be more about the Mighty Queens-- it is enough that they exist and helped Amy along her journey. But I can't blame you-- they are so special that  a reader may very well yearn for more.

Regarding the cover: It took us quite some time to come to a cover we felt captured Amy's story. And as with most covers, for every one who likes it there is someone who doesn't and another who likes a very different approach. Eventually, we have to make a decision. And most who weighed in liked the picnic table. The packaging of a book is important so we do spend a lot of time on the cover. I think the picnic table cover captures the idea of community--family and friends. I really do appreciate the takeaway/the meaning you got from the barn, the wind vane and the cow.

Learn more about The Mighty Queens of Freeville.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

One more "market research data point":  But where is the picnic table tie-in to the book?  It may be there if I go back and re-read, but it certainly was not a memorable image for me.

Gretchen_Young wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Thank you for the questions and what great comments. Amy came up with the title which we loved here at Hyperion because all of us related to the idea that there are special people in our lives who help us through. For me, the book doesn't need to be more about the Mighty Queens-- it is enough that they exist and helped Amy along her journey. But I can't blame you-- they are so special that  a reader may very well yearn for more.

Regarding the cover: It took us quite some time to come to a cover we felt captured Amy's story. And as with most covers, for every one who likes it there is someone who doesn't and another who likes a very different approach. Eventually, we have to make a decision. And most who weighed in liked the picnic table. The packaging of a book is important so we do spend a lot of time on the cover. I think the picnic table cover captures the idea of community--family and friends. I really do appreciate the takeaway/the meaning you got from the barn, the wind vane and the cow.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

One more "market research data point": But where is the picnic table tie-in to the book? It may be there if I go back and re-read, but it certainly was not a memorable image for me.

It's not there Pepper, or I didn't read it either. I don't see this picnic cover as representative of this particular family of women.

Gretchen_Young wrote:For me, the book doesn't need to be more about the Mighty Queens-- it is enough that they exist and helped Amy along her journey. But I can't blame you-- they are so special that a reader may very well yearn for more.

I guess what I am saying tho is the reason we need a bit more about them is to know why they are considered Mighty Queens to Amy. Yes we all know we have them in our lives and we have even shared short stories as to why they are. This seems to be missing from this book, the little stories of why. It is not that we are wanting them to take over the story of Amy, but with that as a title, we just need enough more to know why they are to her, other than they live all together in the same town and meet once a week. Amy said they told her they didn't want to be written about, but surely writing even some little stories about them in general, truths she learned from them, some words of wisdom wouldn't hurt and might help the reader not feel the title is a bit misleading. It might be a "catchy" title but it doesn't ring true to us if we don't know why any of these women came to be known by this phrase. I think its a fine little book when she is talking about things she and her daughter have in common, i.e. dorkiness or feelings about their fathers etc. Those are really good parts. So since this is to be about Amy and since her female relatives didn't want to be written about, see how this title doesn't fit to us? Maybe a title having more to do with Amy and her daughter or her life in general is more apropo?

Peppermill wrote:

One more "market research data point": But where is the picnic table tie-in to the book? It may be there if I go back and re-read, but it certainly was not a memorable image for me.

Gretchen_Young wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I have two questions. Who choses the title? Most of us felt that the characters of the women in Amy's life who make up "The Mighty Queens", other than herself and her daughter, were not explored enough at all, for us to understand what made them mighty, so we don't feel the title really matches the story, that it might have been an afterthought. I thought maybe about 50 more pages of some kind of stories about her Freeville women, the queens, would have added to the story and make sense of the title.

Thank you for the questions and what great comments. Amy came up with the title which we loved here at Hyperion because all of us related to the idea that there are special people in our lives who help us through. For me, the book doesn't need to be more about the Mighty Queens-- it is enough that they exist and helped Amy along her journey. But I can't blame you-- they are so special that a reader may very well yearn for more.

Regarding the cover: It took us quite some time to come to a cover we felt captured Amy's story. And as with most covers, for every one who likes it there is someone who doesn't and another who likes a very different approach. Eventually, we have to make a decision. And most who weighed in liked the picnic table. The packaging of a book is important so we do spend a lot of time on the cover. I think the picnic table cover captures the idea of community--family and friends. I really do appreciate the takeaway/the meaning you got from the barn, the wind vane and the cow.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks so much for joining us here.   I'd like to know more about the "Small-town bus tour" - how do you o about setting such a thing up?  What kind of promoting do you do in advance?  

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
umlaut
0 Kudos

I thought this book was well prepared. Each chapter was clearly defined into specific parts. Each chapter seems to start with current issue, Amy is dealing with and then reflects these issues to her past, and then finally the “moral” or the conclusion is reveled. I really enjoyed this structure.

There are few repetitions of the story already mentioned earlier in the book and mentioned again towards the end of the book, I assume this could have been used to “build” the story line, however I thought this was not necessary since the book is small and there are not many characters.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Hi Gretchen,

I agree that the Mighty Queens in Amy's life helped her on her journey.  It would have been lovely to learn more about them - but I think the main crux of the story is how Amy and Emily, in turn, became Mighty Queens in their own right - in part as a result of the support & influence of the other Mighty Queens in their lives. 

With respect to the cover of the book, I understand the reasoning behind choosing the picnic table but must say that I also like the barn, wind vane & cow - I felt it really connected to the book. :smileyhappy:

Thanks! Dawn

Gretchen_Young wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote: 

Gretchen-Young wrote:

Hi Gretchen,

I agree that the Mighty Queens in Amy's life helped her on her journey.  It would have been lovely to learn more about them - but I think the main crux of the story is how Amy and Emily, in turn, became Mighty Queens in their own right - in part as a result of the support & influence of the other Mighty Queens in their lives. 

With respect to the cover of the book, I understand the reasoning behind choosing the picnic table but must say that I also like the barn, wind vane & cow - I felt it really connected to the book. :smileyhappy:

Thanks! Dawn

I liked both covers. Living in a small rural town myself, also in the state of NY, I thought both were fitting. The weather vane on the barn and the bright colors got my attention and gave me a good impression of her town. The picnic table cover also reflects the idea of community. Family and friends at a picnic table is representative of good times spent together. That's a very common occurrance in my area, common and comfortable. I think either image conveys the theme of the book.

Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

It wasn't a particular scene in the book just representative of peoplel/family coming together. Thanks for your question.

Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

Interesting. Do you see Amy and Emily as mighty queens ?

Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Deltadawn wrote: 

Gretchen-Young wrote:

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks! Dawn

I liked both covers. Living in a small rural town myself, also in the state of NY, I thought both were fitting. The weather vane on the barn and the bright colors got my attention and gave me a good impression of her town. The picnic table cover also reflects the idea of community. Family and friends at a picnic table is representative of good times spent together. That's a very common occurrance in my area, common and comfortable. I think either image conveys the theme of the book.

Wrighty wrote:
Deltadawn wrote: 

Gretchen-Young wrote:

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks! Dawn

Dawn: Thanks for your input and thoughtful remarks. I am so glad to hear your comments--it seems like this book really is for you! What other books do you like to read? gretchen

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Gretchen - Thank you for your kind words! In answer to your question - I read all sorts of books - In addition to recently reading The Mighty Queens of Freeville, I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns - before that I  completed The Alchemist and before that The Shell Seekers (by Rosamunde Pilcher).  So you see I am pretty open to different kinds of books. Also read The Feather Man recently (through B&N reading club - Book Explorers).  Other authors I love are Charles Dickens, John Irving, Stephen King, Elizabeth Berg, Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, Maeve Binchy, Madeliene Lengel (sp), Joyce Carol Oates, JK Rowling, well I could probably go on and on!!:smileyhappy: Normally, as you can see, I read novels as opposed to memoirs - this was a nice change of pace. I really did enjoy this book - thanks again for the great opportunity...Dawn

Dawn: Thanks for your input and thoughtful remarks. I am so glad to hear your comments--it seems like this book really is for you! What other books do you like to read? gretchen

Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

Gretchen - Thank you for your kind words! In answer to your question - I read all sorts of books - In addition to recently reading The Mighty Queens of Freeville, I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns - before that I  completed The Alchemist and before that The Shell Seekers (by Rosamunde Pilcher).  So you see I am pretty open to different kinds of books. Also read The Feather Man recently (through B&N reading club - Book Explorers).  Other authors I love are Charles Dickens, John Irving, Stephen King, Elizabeth Berg, Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, Maeve Binchy, Madeliene Lengel (sp), Joyce Carol Oates, JK Rowling, well I could probably go on and on!!:smileyhappy: Normally, as you can see, I read novels as opposed to memoirs - this was a nice change of pace. I really did enjoy this book - thanks again for the great opportunity...Dawn

You have  awesome taste.!

Users Online
Currently online:3 members 509 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: