Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Sorry, didn't finish my thought. I have a son. I just noted his age!! It has been a long day : )
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a retired high school English teacher. Ashley, I taught at Ft. Lauderdale High School for 16 years in the 60's and 70's...wow! wild times!

I have participated in three of the First Look Book Club and certainly hope to be selected for this one.

I live now in Raleigh, NC, in the house I grew up in....two sons, a dil, two grandbabies, a dh, and an adorable Pomeranian.

Hope I get to discuss this book with you all.

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Reader
sharonluvscats
0 Kudos

My name is Sharon and I'm happy to be part of this group. I live in NY with my three cats.
Contributor
lonelyfilly
0 Kudos

Hello!  I'm April, I'm from TX.  I never even knew B&N had a book club until a week or so ago, so I am really excited to be doing this!  I've wanted to join a book club for a long time, but have a hard time doing one local because of needing to take my kids with me......so this is excellent.

Can't wait to get started on the book, it sounds really good.  I've discovered recently that I am really into memoirs.

April 

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
Reader
cawrigley
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Carey and I am a transplanted Buckeye living in Burlington, NC.  I am a middle school Language Arts teacher and former employee of Barnes and Noble.  I love to read and was looking for something interesting and different from what I am reading with my students, and this book sounds really unique.  I'm really looking forward to it.
New User
OneAcreHomestead
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Stephanie.  I live in Oklahoma with my husband and two daughters...oh, and a large supporting cast of pets.  ;-)
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

Yippee! :smileyvery-happy: I got my pm this morning saying I am getting the book! I was worried as so many people were saying they got theirs and I didn't so thought I had missed out. Can't wait to meet the Mighty Queens! AND I received this message today, which is my birthday! ...what a nice gift! Thank you!
Reader 2
Reba76
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Renee, and I am a nurse from Wisconsin, and a mom of two. This is my first time in the First Look Book Club and I am very excited.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

hi all!

Just received my pm which confirms that I'll be receiving the book! Thanks B&N and First Look Book Club!!

I can't wait to read it and discuss with all of you here. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I have received my confirmation for participating in The Mighty Queens of Freeville First Look discussion.

Since I seldom read a print newspaper any more, I have scarcely read the "Dear Abby" column since Amy Dickinson has been writing it.  Also, I have not read any of Zoe Heller's novels, so selecting a First Look was not easy.  However, the deciding factor was probably this phrase in the description:  "a moving testament to the many women who have led small lives of great consequence in a tiny place." 

I look forward to the discussions here.  I see lots of new faces, which undoubtedly means new insights, as well as "old friends."

I live in New Jersey, am currently in the process of cataloguing at least a fair number  of my too many books, have worked for many years in the computer and telecom industries  (research, product development and marketing), and thoroughly enjoy the chance to discuss what I have read or am reading with others.  Besides my family and my reading, community activities occupy my time.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
coavalanche12
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  My name is Susan and I live in Kansas.  This will be my 4th first look club, and am excited to get started!  I work as  a middle school reading teacher and love to pass on the love for reading to students
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

I have received a confirmation letting me in.  This is my 3rd First Read, and I was a bit torn as to which one I would join.  It is a good thing one had to make a choice.

I'm a New England native who has lived in NY for 21 years; and I work in Manhattan.  I've been dabbling between a number of areas on this great B&N Book Club; great because of the chance to talk about books one reads, and the people I've met.

This should be very interesting; hope I will be able to do more than lurking; I'm inclined to over-schedule myself, and I may have done it again. 

Contributor
dewgirl
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. I am Diane and I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. This is my second time in the First Look Book Club. I read The Sister early this year. 

I am familiar with Amy from her newspaper column and I look forward to reading this book. I have been into nonfiction lately which is why I chose this one. I was glad for the opportunity to choose between two books this time. Hope B&N keeps doing that with the First Look clubs.

Happy reading! 

Contributor
monsoonnana
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am hoping to be able to preview The Mightly Queens of Freeville. I have enjoyed the other reads.  I am an elementary library assistant in PA. Reading is a passion.

Monsoonnana

Monsoonnana
Contributor
jose408
0 Kudos

Hey My name is Jose Zarate and I want to thank the people who made this First Look section and i hope i can get some copys of the books

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see that the group is growing, and more people are getting confirmation emails.  I'm really looking forward to discussing Amy's memoir with all of you.  Wish we could start right now! 
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

My name is Tarri and I live in Western Washington state.  I am retired and this will (hopefully) be my fourth First Look Book Club.  The Mighty Queens of Freeville looks like a great read; of course, the other selection looks good too.  I hope we can peek in at their discussions, if we promise not to say anything. 

Reader 2
ajhwny
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone, Amy here, just south-west of Buffalo, NY. With thought of snow coming soon enough, a good book sounded like just the ticket on a chilly fall evening. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can begin reading.
Reader
NYCMegan
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My name is Megan and I live in New York City.  This is my first time doing the First Look Book Club, and I am so excited to get the book and start reading and discussing with everyone.  I just received my confirmation this morning, and it made my day!

Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Janice. I am very excited to be a part of this discussion and cannot wait to receive and begin reading this book. It is great to be back for another "First Look"!

What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 334 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: