Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cocospals-x
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I just got registered this morning. The reminder about the changeover in the book club was dumped into my spam file and I just happened to go online last night and found out about it.  Hopefully I got signed up in time to be included in The Mighty Queens of Freeville discussion.  Sounds like it could be a good one. I was part of the House at Riverton and The Sister discussions.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I agree with Wrighty (Hi Deb) -any way you want to read the book is fine- all at once, a bit at a time as we discuss, or even do what I do, read the whole book through and then go back and read it again as the discussion progresses.  I often find that I missed a few things on the first go-round, so rereading gives me more than a few "aha" moments. 

Hi Stephanie and thanks for being here with us. Another trick that works for me is taking notes in my notebook to keep track of characters or important points, pages, etc and I use Post It notes to mark pages I may need again. It saves me from having to shuffle through the book looking for something I need and never seem to be able to find again. :smileyhappy:

New User
Krisha
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jean.  I am a high school librarian with a 17 year daughter.  I love to read.  My daughter plays volleyball, basketball, and softball.  In my "free" time, I read all I can.  I try to read different genres so I can recommend books for my students. 

Stephanie wrote:

Welcome to the First Look Book Club for Amy Dickinson's memoir The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I'm Stephanie, and I'm honored to be your moderator for this club.  

Please introduce yourself here and share a little bit about yourself. 

Stephanie wrote:

Welcome to the First Look Book Club for Amy Dickinson's memoir The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I'm Stephanie, and I'm honored to be your moderator for this club.  

Please introduce yourself here and share a little bit about yourself. 

Contributor
lonelyfilly
0 Kudos

I got my copy yesterday!  I can't wait to read it, but I'll wait a few days so I can finish the book I'm reading now!  
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
New User
Krisha
0 Kudos

Hi Jean!  I was enjoy meeting other jeans.  I have read Emma with B&N bookclub.  I really enjoyed it.

Des222 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm Jean, and this is my second First Look opportunity. I'm very excited, as I am familiar with Amy via her column in the Chicago Trib. I have two boys and work from home part time, so a break-time for reading is a welcome time for relaxation. Also, I learned so much from the last B&N book club; I'm looking forward to more "a-ha's" and "Oh! I never thought of it that way" moments from our discussions. :smileyhappy:

New User
Krisha
0 Kudos

I love your quote.  My boyfriend tells me all the time, I can keep up with my books better than anything.

Fond_of_Books wrote:

I'm excited that I get to be part of this book discussion. I love to read, and I just started a book club with some of my co-workers. I hope it holds up. It's awesome that BN has so many online discussions. I just read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the October Classics discussion. I'm looking forward to reading something different than my usual book picks and hearing what everyone else has to say. I'll be checking the mail anxiously until my book arrives.

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. - Louisa May Alcott

New User
LizzyLooEM
0 Kudos

Yea, I got my lst book to review Mighty Quee;n;s of Freeville.  I really like it and look forward to disussion.I hope I will be able to qualify for more later .I love to read and read everyday.First book club I have ever joined.LizzyLoo:smileyhappy:
LizzyLoo
New User
Rebecca75
0 Kudos

Hi!

My name is Beckah and this is my VERY first bookclub and I'm so thrilled!! 

I'm a 33 year old working mother and my son is 2 years old.  I actually hated reading as a child and just read what was necessary to get through school and then college.  But when I became pregnant with my son, I was extremely nausious all the time and found myself laying around much more than normal.  So I grabbed a book that my father inlaw had read, "Cross", by James Patterson: I was hooked.  I've been kicking out a book a week and trust me, I don't have the time like I did pre-baby.  I wish I would've found the job in reading much earlier in life - but I'm ready now!

Cheers!

Contributor
mntdew
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm June & this will be my 3rd First Look book.  I enjoy reading & sharing all the ideas & views everyone has.  It definitely adds to the overall view of the story.  Hopefully I have signed up in time & will be joining you all soon!

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Hi Stephanie and thanks for being here with us. Another trick that works for me is taking notes in my notebook to keep track of characters or important points, pages, etc and I use Post It notes to mark pages I may need again. It saves me from having to shuffle through the book looking for something I need and never seem to be able to find again. :smileyhappy:

Are you sure we're not related?  LOL - I do the same thing with my post-it notes, and write my notes right on them. If my husband wants to read the book, I pull them out, stick them together and make a little book out of them.  (I put page #s on them as I go.) 

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Rebecca,

I'm so glad you found a love for reading- and it doesn't matter when you found it, just that you did.  Patterson is a great one for hooking a person on reading.  Good pick!  I think you're really going to enjoy this memoir by Amy Dickinson, she has a very compelling style and voice. 

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Fond_of_Books
0 Kudos

Thanks. I came across the quote on an ornament of some kind in a catalogue that sells gifts for people who love books. I didn't like the ornament, but I loved the quote. It describes me perfectly. :smileyhappy:

Krisha wrote:
I love your quote.  My boyfriend tells me all the time, I can keep up with my books better than anything.

Fond_of_Books wrote:

I'm excited that I get to be part of this book discussion. I love to read, and I just started a book club with some of my co-workers. I hope it holds up. It's awesome that BN has so many online discussions. I just read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the October Classics discussion. I'm looking forward to reading something different than my usual book picks and hearing what everyone else has to say. I'll be checking the mail anxiously until my book arrives.

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. - Louisa May Alcott

Fond_of_Books

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. ~Louisa May Alcott
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

book marks

Stephanie wrote:
Are you sure we're not related?  LOL - I do the same thing with my post-it notes, and write my notes right on them. If my husband wants to read the book, I pull them out, stick them together and make a little book out of them.  (I put page #s on them as I go.) 

Aren't they fun? I was tearing my post its into thin strips and had 42 of them in a recent club choice so a friend sent me a small packet with the skinny little colorful bookmark post its and also the regular sized ones. How awesome! And what a nerd I am to get so excited about sticky paper but I'm all for anything that makes reading even more fun. :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
moomjy
0 Kudos

Hi,My name is Becca.I live in Cherry Hill ,NJ.I am a stay at home mom.I love books and love to read I just started the Mighty Queens of Feasterville and so far am liking it.   
Contributor
amdesigner
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. My name is Augustina. You can call me “Tina”. I’m a college student at the Art Institute of Houston, TX. I’m a graphic design major. I am graduating next year in the summer. I am so excited. I love design, draw, paint,typography, photography,color, read, and being creative.
My friends describe me: down to earth, spiritual, generous, kind, thoughtful, caring, good listener, and considerate. Focus on the possibilities in life. I am easy to get along with other. I am always like to make new friends from other culture or country/ state (cities). This is my first time taking online bookclub. It will be my first experience .

In my spare time, when I’ not in school or working. I spend most of time going out, spending time with my pets, friends and my family. Sometime I go out of the country to visit my grandmother. She lives in Guatemala. I love going to the movies, watch cable, go eat out, or go to the concert. I am always online or in my IMS messenger. When I am in school, rarely go out because I prefer to finish up all my homework. I love what I do being creative. I love to read anything is that interesting and recommended. Let me know any interesting book or bookclub. I love to read, humor,women fiction,chic literature, inspiration, msytery,art /scupture/painting book, biligual and etc...

I live with my family. I share a room with my sister and my cat. I have 6 cats. It is long story. But right now I have 5 cats. One is missing from 2 weeks ago. I am very sad. I have already made it flyer. A lot of nice people are helping me look for her since I can’t walk as much I want to because I am handicapped. I wear a prosthetic leg. I get really tired. :-(
Well I guess that’s all of my life. I hope to make new friends online.
@gustin@ "AMDesigner"
Reader 2
oceanna26
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Kim. This is my third round with the First Look Book Club. Thanks for offering a choice of books this time. I just got my copy of The Mighty Queens and I can't wait to dive in!
New User
danie88
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

My name is Danielle (but everyone calls me Danie). I'm new to the site and am looking forward to my first book discussion! Nice meeting you all!

*~*Danie*~*
Reader
Bluekittly67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello this is my first time joining the First Look Book Club, and I am really looking forward to it. I am a stay at home mom from Lancaster, California.  I just received my copy today so I am going to get started on reading my book tonight.

Carmen 

Message Edited by Bluekittly67 on 10-10-2008 05:08 AM
New User
boutiquegb
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

My name is Gail.  I am a stay at home mom to 2 wonderful children.  I have a 5 year old daughter and a 10 month old son.  I am always looking for some adult conversation, so I can't wait for this book club to start. 

Contributor
Jennrada
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

My name is Jenny.  I am originally from Maine, but now live in South Carolina  I am a mom of 3, grandmother of 1. This is my first time participating in the First Look Book Club, although I have participated in other B&N book clubs.   My book arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to start reading - it looks great! 

I look forward to discussing with everyone!

Jenny

Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 492 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: