Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I just got my confirmation so now I can do the formal introduction. My name is Gayle and I live in Aurora, Colorado which is a suburb of Denver. Work full time, have one kiddo out of the house, another back east at college and one still cleaning out my refrigerator. I also have an Amazon book site called Cocospals (don't check it out until Monday, I have to do some updating).  This will be my third (maybe my fourth)

First Look book event and I love the concept and have read some very recommendable books.

Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Beth and I am a stay at home mom from Wisconsin. I just got my confirmation and am looking forward to reading The Mighty Queens of Freeville. It looks like an interesting read and I can't wait to get started.
Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Hillabeans69
0 Kudos

I'm so excited, I've never known about this book club and received the book today.  I can't wait for this amazing opportunity.

hillabeans

Hill-a-beans
Contributor
mntdew
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

I am from Wisconsin also - just south of Milwaukee - how about you?

New User
tjsjohanna
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Johanna from Highlands Ranch - southern suburb of Denver, CO.  This is my first B&N First Look book and I'm excited to participate.  I've been on a memoir kick this year, so I'm looking forward to reading "The Mighty Queens of Freeville".  It was fun to open the UPS package this morning and take a look at the book. 
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

mntdew wrote:

Hi Beth,

I am from Wisconsin also - just south of Milwaukee - how about you?

Hi June,

I am in the Kenosha area - the land of no bookstores! I keep hoping everytime they open new stores we will get one but so far there are no plans for one.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
New User
pcsmama5
0 Kudos

Hi all.  My name is Pam and this is my first time in a club.  The irony is that I actually live in Freeville NY, and I have met the author's sister at local meetings though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Amy.  I have started the book and it is such fun to see references to local places and people and to know where and who they are! 

I'm the mother of five mostly grown children, a couple of in-laws and out-laws, and one old Basset hound.  I'm also the grandmother of almost 6 (the latest is, quite literally, due any minute!) children, 7 grand dogs, 2 grand cats, and 1 grand rabbit, and great-grandmother to one great-grand guinea pig!  I work full-time plus as a transcriptionist for a group of GI physicians and I volunteer in our hospital gift shop.  I love to read, knit, bake, listen to blues music, and follow Yankees baseball! 

I'm very much looking forward to participating in this group!

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

pcsmama5 wrote:

Hi all.  My name is Pam and this is my first time in a club.  The irony is that I actually live in Freeville NY, and I have met the author's sister at local meetings though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Amy.  I have started the book and it is such fun to see references to local places and people and to know where and who they are! 

I'm the mother of five mostly grown children, a couple of in-laws and out-laws, and one old Basset hound.  I'm also the grandmother of almost 6 (the latest is, quite literally, due any minute!) children, 7 grand dogs, 2 grand cats, and 1 grand rabbit, and great-grandmother to one great-grand guinea pig!  I work full-time plus as a transcriptionist for a group of GI physicians and I volunteer in our hospital gift shop.  I love to read, knit, bake, listen to blues music, and follow Yankees baseball! 

Hi Pam and welcome! That is so neat that you live in Freeville! I read one book that was from my area about a current war hero and it was so weird to read about people and places I knew. You will have to be our source for any questions about some of the details from this new book. It sounds like you are very busy but having lots of fun. Hopefully you will have lots of fun in this club too! :smileyhappy:

New User
Bev58
0 Kudos

Just finished reading the intro and first chapter of "The Mighty Queens of Freeville." Interesting title. Hope the book proves to be just as interesting. (so far, so good)

Glad to join everyone on the discussion.

New User
Demetra_B
0 Kudos

There are a lot of moms in here. However, I'm a 18 yr old college student- i guess thats good so i can give a younger perspective on the book. I'm Jaime-Li. I'm not a partier so i spend my college years... reading- and love doing it! Barnes and Nobles is my haven. I'm more of a sci-fi enthusiast but recently i've been trying to expand what i read.

Hoping to get the book and have a great discussion with all of you!

Exiles Feed on Hope
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Hi Jaime-Li - I am Ashley a college grad of a couple years, 22 years old. I was an English Lit major in college and loved it! Welcome to the group!
~*Ash*~
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Demetra_B wrote:

There are a lot of moms in here. However, I'm a 18 yr old college student- i guess thats good so i can give a younger perspective on the book. I'm Jaime-Li. I'm not a partier so i spend my college years... reading- and love doing it! Barnes and Nobles is my haven. I'm more of a sci-fi enthusiast but recently i've been trying to expand what i read.

Hoping to get the book and have a great discussion with all of you!

Hi Demetra!

Yes there are lots of moms here but it's mainly because of the topic of the book. What's great about these clubs is that we get a variety of people and it makes the discussions even more interesting.  I've met so many great people this way and I've read books that I probably wouldn't have picked up otherwise. I hope you have fun here too. Welcome to you and everyone else here. I can't wait to get started! :smileyhappy:

~Debbie

Contributor
anuttall13
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

My name is April and I just finished reading The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I look forward to the discussions. 

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi Pam,

Welcome to First Look -- how wonderful to meet someone from the town of Freeville! 

I suspect we'll be looking to you to offer some insight, until then, hope you enjoy the discussion.

Maria

pcsmama5 wrote:

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Ladies and Gentlemen - we're a week away from discussion!  I'm really getting excited about discussing this memoir with you - glad to see we have some youth in the group too - a little perspective from a daughter's point of view- we have a Freeville native in our midst- that's going to add something special, and we have lots and lots of members who have participated in groups for quite a while.  For those of you who are new to the groups, that means there'll be plenty of folks to help you along. 

Stephanie
New User
altizers
0 Kudos

Sorry I have not gotten this done sooner.  I am Casondra and I live in Norfolk, Virginia.  I am really looking forward to this book, a friend of mine has already finished it and said it was great. 
Contributor
dege
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Dee from Michigan. I'm new to First Look and was very excited to receive my book last week. I'm in the middle of reading another novel and feel like I must finish it before starting a new one. Looking forward to this!
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

My name is Jen.  I am an elementary teacher in Springfield, MA and I love my job.  I am so glad to be apart of another First Look, I was part of "Songs for the Missing" by Stewart O'Nan.  I am going to try and keep up with this discussion.  I found that I could not keep up with the last one, but I am going to try really hard this time.  This book seems like it will be interesting to read to get a look into someone's life that a lot of people might wonder about.  I got my book a few days ago and have already started reading it.  Can't wait for the discussion to begin.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Reader 2
pf3855
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Pam from Oklahoma and this is my third First Look book discussion.  I love reading other's perspectives on these books before the real life (the ones that do it for pay) ones review them.  I received my copy last week and have already read it!! I can't wait to discuss it. 
pf3855
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

My book arrived yesterday (that was quick!).  I was surprised it was a soft cover but I love the cover compared to what was shown originally.  I have just begun reading it and can't wait for my lunch time so I can lock myself in my office and really get into it.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 449 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: