Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

HI Pam,

Welcome back!  Nice to see a another veteran First Looker here.

This time around, we hope you'll be able to share with us your thoughts about the book!

pf3855 wrote:
Hi!  I'm Pam from Oklahoma and this is my third First Look book discussion.  I love reading other's perspectives on these books before the real life (the ones that do it for pay) ones review them.  I received my copy last week and have already read it!! I can't wait to discuss it. 

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi Cocospals,

Glad that you got the book so quickly!  

Almost all advance reading copies are done in soft cover, even if it's intended to be a hardcover when it goes on sale.

cocospals wrote:
My book arrived yesterday (that was quick!).  I was surprised it was a soft cover but I love the cover compared to what was shown originally.  I have just begun reading it and can't wait for my lunch time so I can lock myself in my office and really get into it.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
jpuckett
0 Kudos

Hey all - Tony here from North Dakota (ya - you betcha)

Got my message and I'm in...

Lookin forward to it...

Contributor
dulcie1010
0 Kudos

which other first look books have you been involved in? im just curious;im new to this and this is my first. I am very excited, I have looked for book clubs locally but usually they end up falling apart rapidly so I am very excited to be involved with this one.

Contributor
PCGator
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Carol, and I'm a 3rd grade teacher in west central Florida.  My family includes my husband, 3 fairly well-behaved sons and 2 out-of-control labrador retrievers.  This is my 1st time in First Look, and I'm thrilled to be included at this late date.  Mighty Queens sounds intriguing; hope it arrives quickly.  Like a couple of others, I haven't been successful with keeping a local book club together for very long.  So looking forward to participating in this online version.

Carol

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

dulcie1010 wrote:

which other first look books have you been involved in? im just curious;im new to this and this is my first. I am very excited, I have looked for book clubs locally but usually they end up falling apart rapidly so I am very excited to be involved with this one.

Hi Dulcie,

I think you'll really enjoy the book clubs here on B&N.com - we're always here, whenever you have time, you can jump in for ten minutes or sit down for an hour.  Check out the rest of the clubs too, there are all kinds of discussions taking place.

Stephanie
New User
julia1231
0 Kudos

Hi, this is my first time participating in a B&N book club.  I live in Denver (but originally hail from the east coast--grew up in NJ and went to college in VT).  I'm 30 years old.  Just finished reading the book and am excited to start discussing it on Monday! 
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Welcome Julia,

Glad you've decided to join the book clubs, I think you're going to have a great time.  I'm excited to start discussing on Monday as well. 

Stephanie
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

julia1231 wrote:
Hi, this is my first time participating in a B&N book club.  I live in Denver (but originally hail from the east coast--grew up in NJ and went to college in VT).  I'm 30 years old.  Just finished reading the book and am excited to start discussing it on Monday! 

Hi Julia,

Just curious...what college did you attend in Vermont? My son goes to Saint Michael's.

Paula

PB684
New User
julia1231
0 Kudos

Hi Paula,

I went to Middlbury College in Middlebury, VT.  But, I've been by St. Michael's college many times on my way to Burlington.  Beautiful campus! 

Heather

Reader 2
vmatt64
0 Kudos

Hi everyone...

I just received my copy and I look forward to the discussions starting next week!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

julia1231 wrote:

Hi Paula,

I went to Middlbury College in Middlebury, VT.  But, I've been by St. Michael's college many times on my way to Burlington.  Beautiful campus! 

Heather

Paula, Julia -- In the late '60s, early '70's, I lived in one of the apartments created in the barracks after the old military post in Colchester was closed.  That was supposedly the last operating calvary post in the United States.  The "old-timers" talked about how well maintained it was.  I met and knew people from both Middlebury and St. Michael's.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Alililymom
0 Kudos

Hi - I'm Chris and I'm thrilled to be a part of this - what a fun book!
Reader
cassiopia_cat
0 Kudos

Hi,
I'm Tamara and I'm from Ontario Canada.  I am really looking forward to participating in this discussion.
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

julia1231 wrote:

Hi Paula,

Heather

Paula, Julia -- In the late '60s, early '70's, I lived in one of the apartments created in the barracks after the old military post in Colchester was closed.  That was supposedly the last operating calvary post in the United States.  The "old-timers" talked about how well maintained it was.  I met and knew people from both Middlebury and St. Michael's.

Pepper

Hi Pepper,

I think I know the exact apartments you mean...they are right on RT 15 next to the Vermont Air National Guard. If I'm not mistaken, Saint Mike's uses some of them as upperclassmen dorms. They are beautiful buildings.

Nice to "meet" you guys!

Paula

PB684
Reader 2
rockymountainziva
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Pamela.  I live in Fort Collins, CO.  This is my first book through First Look.  I am a member of an in-store B&N book group and a ladies book group at my church.  I was an English major and am an attorney.  I love reading and am in the process of editing my first book.

I look forward to participating in this discussion. I anticipate a lively, entertaining, and insightful experience.

Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Hi -- my name is Joanne from North Carolina where it is very chilly this morning and we expect our first frost tonight -- this is my third first look book club -- life is very hectic right now, but I will still try to participate --
RJH
Contributor
RJH
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Rebecca . I'm a 38 years old single mother who lives in Minnesota. I'm eager to finish reading(I'm on the third chapter) the book and learning how others react to the book as well. As a single mother sometimes I feel that I need all the inspiration that I can receive. I hope that everyone enjoys the book and discussion!!
New User
Bethany66
0 Kudos

My name is Beth Fagundes and I live in beautiful Paso Robles, CA.  This is my first time participating in the First Look and I cannot wait to discuss the wonderful book The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson.  I am a full time support person for a software company, and a full time student studying to be a librarian a mother and stepmother to four grown children and a Grandma to 4 beautiful grandchildren.  I am so excited to have found the First Look group!  I hope that someday I will be a mighty queen too!!

Thanks,

Beth F

New User
Love_2_Learn
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

My name is Yvonne and this is my first book club involvement and first time First Look-er.

I am a married mom of seven four-legged children - no two-legged ones yet.  However, I felt intrigued by the prospect of reading Amy's memoir as a huge fan of NPR and of Dear Abby.  It also doesn't hurt that I am from, and live in, Central New York - in Syracuse, about 30 minutes from Freeville.  I tore through the first two chapters and definitely connected with the October-to-April weather.

My husband is one of twelve children and the family lives quite close within the Albany, Syracuse, Rochester cooridor.  I can definitely relate to that big, close family thing - the get-togethers are never-ending, albeit fun.  Although I identify more with the small family thing as I was brought up by a single mom with only three brothers. 

I am a marketing manager with a medical device firm, have a BA from SUNY Oswego, MBA from Syracuse, and just started another masters program (on-line) at NYU.  Prior to this my husband was a soldier and we lived in Salinas, CA, Germany, and then Hampton, VA.  He is now an attorney, representing a cross between single moms and single dads.

Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 665 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: