Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi Everyone! I am so excited to be part of this group. I just got my PM, and can't wait to start reading. I am an avid reader who enjoys all types of books. I have a few going right now, but the one with most of my attention is "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski. What a good book! I plan to have it done before our book comes, and can't wait to get started with our discussion. It is fortunate for me that my husband also loves to read and discuss books.  =)

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
sherdlan
0 Kudos

Hello fellow book clubbers!!!! My name is Jenn & I am from Minnesota.  This is my 2nd "First Look" I have partaken in.  I am so excited to begin reading.  This book sounds interesting to get into.  Look forward to reading others views & comments.
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

I'm excited to be part of this book club and begin reading Amy Dickensons's book. This will be my fifth First Look selection. They have all been interesting. I learned a great deal from the discussions with other members and particularly from the chance to ask the editor and author questions.

Can't wait for the discussions to start!

Nancy

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm April from Nebraska and I just received my confirmation. This is my first time for First Look and I'm very excited to be able to join the discussions.
April
Contributor
1ggprincess
0 Kudos

Hello

I just got a confirmation and am so excited. I'm 34 and have been an avid reader my whole life. I belong to one other book club with a group of girlfriends and it has been such an eye opener for me. It's good to read outside of ones comfort zone.

I look forward to the discussions...

G:smileyvery-happy:

New User
Bublelove339
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Christine from NY. I am crazy excited about doing an online book club. All of my real life book clubs have fell apart, so I'm hoping for a more stable crowd.
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!!!  I just got my confirmation email and I AM SO EXCITED!!!  This is my first time doing a First Look... I can't wait to read the book and discuss it with you all! 
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Reader
B_NGal1
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Lynn from Syracuse.  I just received my advanced copy and am so excited!!  This is my first on-line book club so this will be very interesting for me! I can't wait to read it! Happy reading everyone!
Frequent Contributor
emeraldisle
0 Kudos

My name is Mary. I just recently discovered the BN online book clubs and am thrilled !  I signed up for this book because it sounds so interesting and Freeville is near the town where I live in upstate New York. I recently retired and am a mother of two and grandmother of three. I really enjoy books, fiction and non-fiction, about woman who control their own destinies since I see such an feminine evolution from my 93 year old mother to me to my daughter(and eventually to my granddaughters, I expect). I am eagerly awaiting my arc and can't wait to discuss this book with all of you.
Contributor
LeisaPS
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I've been told my arc is on it's way! I'll be watching my mailbox very closely! A busy wife and mom with a daughter in Grade 1, one twin in her second year of University, the other twin starting College in January and the oldest living an hour+ away with our first (and only) grandson, I need to take time for myself (occasionally)...and, when I get this "me-time", I really love to read (and cook).  I work part time at our busy local library (author Lawrence Hill/Book of Negroes is coming to visit us Feb. 3/09) and do some freelance writing on the side. I am constantly recommending books to patrons and friends and when I come across a really good book, I let people know. We'll see about this one....soon, I hope!

Talk with you later,

Leisa

Contributor
LeisaPS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LeisaPS wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been told my arc is on it's way! I'll be watching my mailbox very closely! A busy wife and mom with a daughter in Grade 1, one twin in her second year of University, the other twin starting College in January and the oldest living an hour+ away with our first (and only) grandson, I need to take time for myself (occasionally)...and, when I get this "me-time", I really love to read (and cook).  I work part time at our busy local library (author Lawrence Hill/Book of Negroes is coming to visit us Feb. 3/09) and do some freelance writing on the side. I am constantly recommending books to patrons and friends and when I come across a really good book, I let people know. We'll see about this one....soon, I hope!

Talk with you later,

Leisa

Oh, yah...

For you folks in the U.S. (I'm Canadian, eh!), Lawrence Hill's book has been published under a different title, Someone Knows My Name. It's an excellent book!  I highly recommend it (...after you read and avidly discuss The Mighty Queens of Freeville, of course!).

Leisa

Message Edited by LeisaPS on 09-30-2008 09:58 PM
Reader 4
lherb
0 Kudos

Hi!   I am a newbie to the First Look book club and find myself struggling to make this work.  I am a busy person but I love to read.  I am excited to start this adventure.

lherb

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is my third First Look Book Club and I'm very excited to start reading! I'm a lawyer who just left a big firm and starting out on my own.  I've also just gotten married and we're in the process of buying and moving into our first home.  

Very excited for this club and to get to know the other members!

Gaby 

Reader 2
theresapax
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Theresa. I am originally from PA, but currently living in Missouri.  I just received my confirmation that I will be getting a copy of The Mighty Queens of Freeville! I am very excited about participating in my first First Look Book Club. I love reading and I think this is going to be a great time.

Look forward to interacting with you all! Have a wonderful day! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

Hi. I received my notice that I've been selected to read this book so I am very excited.

I am a retired high school English teacher and just love reading and anything involving a needle/hook/thread/yarn...I have a dh, two grown sons, two adorable - of course - grandchildren, and a cute fuzzy red pomeranian, Maggie.

I look forward to discussing this book with all of you. This is my fourth first look....all have been great

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Contributor
Margaret42
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Margie and I live in Ontario, and work full-time. I am really looking forward to reading this book, everytime I read a good memoir, (like The glass castle) I always think I should read them more often.

m a r g a r e t~
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I just got my book from the UPS man! I like those packages! My name is Debbie and I have been in all of the First Look clubs and many others here. If you enjoy chatting with the authors there are usually a few choices each month that have the author participating. Those are my favorite clubs.

I live in NY state and I'm married with three teenagers. I love to read and take a book everywhere I go. I'm looking forward to this club and trying the new format offering two ARCs to choose from. It sounds like we have lots of new people here. Welcome and enjoy the club! 

New User
rap2busy
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Rhonda.  This is  the first time I have joined an online bookclub.  I am looking forward to reading  The Mighty Queens of Freeville. I found it hard to choose between the two books, both sounded good.  I was excited to see the book at my doorway when I came home tonight.

Rhonda 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Debbie,

Congratulations on receiving your copy!  Love that UPS man, hm?  Glad you're here, and now get reading!  I'm really excited to start discussing this book.

Stephanie
Contributor
Turner_A
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda and this is my second First Look Book Club. I can't wait to read this book.
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: