Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Fond_of_Books
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I'm excited that I get to be part of this book discussion. I love to read, and I just started a book club with some of my co-workers. I hope it holds up. It's awesome that BN has so many online discussions. I just read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the October Classics discussion. I'm looking forward to reading something different than my usual book picks and hearing what everyone else has to say. I'll be checking the mail anxiously until my book arrives.

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. - Louisa May Alcott

Fond_of_Books

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. ~Louisa May Alcott
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ajhwny wrote:
Hello Everyone, Amy here, just south-west of Buffalo, NY. With thought of snow coming soon enough, a good book sounded like just the ticket on a chilly fall evening. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can begin reading.

Hi Amy! Welcome to the club. I live in the same general area of the state. I was wondering how close we live to each other. I will send you a private message (pm) to ask you more. Look for the little envelope that says messages near the top of the page. It should be darker if you have a message. It should also come up on the side of your homepage. 

~Debbie

Contributor
kayJ
0 Kudos

I am so happy! I just came on to see if I was going to get this book and my doorbell rang. Yes it is here already...talk about exciting! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Just received my copy today. It was a nice little surprise since today at work was awful. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Donna

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Paula from Long Island. This is my second First Look Club book and I'm very happy to be in this one. The subject of this book really intrigued me because it reminds me of the situation of one of my very dear friends. I received the book two days ago and I am finding it very quick and enjoyable reading. I look forward to sharing thoughts with all of you.
PB684
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DONNAJG24 wrote:

Just received my copy today. It was a nice little surprise since today at work was awful. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Donna

I just got mybook as well.  And I had a horrible day at work too!  Can't wait to start reading!  Anyway, hope your evening is better than our days were!:smileyvery-happy:
Message Edited by Sarah3973 on 10-02-2008 05:32 PM
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

To my surprise, I received mine on Tuesday; heard a loud plop outside, and the sound of the motor of the UPS truck as it left.  It's good that we have it early, so to speak.

Any hints on schedule of how much to read, and how the discussion will run - by book section, or overall topic?  We start on the 20th?

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

va-BBoomer,

Good question - and a timely one, too.  Now that people are beginning to receive their copies of the book, I would like to remind everyone that the actual discussion does not start until October 20th.  PLEASE do not post any content about the book until that time.   I realize it's difficult to hold out that long, but that will only prolong our time here together, and that can only be a good thing. 

Stephanie
New User
peace101
0 Kudos

Hi every my name is yeimmi and I'm very excited to join this book club ..... I  love to read and I love writing I just started writing my first book........ I love different kinds of genres...... Can't wait to start reading this book seems like a really good book.......:
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

I got my book yesterday, it looks delicious! I can't wait to start reading it! But besides that I was wondering, do I read the book before the discussion starts on the 20th or are we all reading it together on a schedule? This is my first look book club and I am not really sure how it works here and I couldn't find anything else about it...
~*Ash*~
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ashred1226 wrote:
I got my book yesterday, it looks delicious! I can't wait to start reading it! But besides that I was wondering, do I read the book before the discussion starts on the 20th or are we all reading it together on a schedule? This is my first look book club and I am not really sure how it works here and I couldn't find anything else about it...

Welcome Ash! I think the book sounds good too. We all seem to do what works best for us for our reading schedule. I've done it all different ways in the past. Sometimes I've finished it and sometimes I've only started it and I've read it as we went along in the club. Usually there is a schedule announced and there are different threads that divide the book. Different moderators do it different ways. Just be careful not to read threads about sections you haven't read yet in the book because there will be spoilers. By the same token, be careful about what you post that you don't reveal something that's farther ahead in the book. If it's an important issue that you need to talk about just post spoiler warnings so other's will be able to see it and judge for themselves if they want to read further. Some threads will be about the book in it's entirety so anything will be safe. There will be something for everyone and you can ask questions at any time and people will be happy to help you. We all have questions at some time. I hope this helps but if it's not clear just say so. We're a friendly bunch! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
kitkat234
0 Kudos

Hi, I just got in on this book selection so I have not received my book yet but it looks so good & I can not wait until I can start to read it....
Contributor
sherdlan
0 Kudos

I was excited today when the UPS guy pulled up today & delivered my book.  I am looking forward to reading it this evening.  I so enjoy getting the opportunity to read new books before they are released. 
S_
New User
S_
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!  I just received my copy of the book today when I got home from work.  I can't wait to read it! I am an Elementary Teacher from Missouri, a wife, and mother of two sons. 

Reading has always been a passion of mine.  I am excited to start reading and sharing this experience with all of you.  This is my first online book club.

Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

As several people said they had a bad day at work and found their book waiting when they came home, ditto for me! I guess Fridays teaching middle school can OFTEN make you feel this way so coming home to a lovely surprise is great! I haven't started reading as I see the schedule says discussion starts Oct. 20 but will probably read a little this weekend but for the moment just relishing having it in my hands with the anticipation of a great read! Happy reading to all and I hope everyone gets their book soon as it is a super fun feeling! Thanks Barnes & Noble
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for your response! Some great advice! I'll think I will hold off just a little bit then and see when gets posted. :smileyhappy:This seems like a really wonderful group so Oct. 20th needs to hurry up and arrive already, lol. 

Message Edited by ashred1226 on 10-04-2008 10:55 AM
~*Ash*~
Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

Hi! Just thought I'd pop in since I received my book yesterday. This is my third First Look discussion, and I'm really looking forward to reading Amy's book. I listen to her quite a bit , as a panel guest, on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Glad to see some familiar faces (screen names) and some new ones. 

Also, the look of the text interface is quite different from the last time I was here. This will take some getting used to :smileywink:, I'm used to typing in all the html code myself.

Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Hello fellow readers.  This is my second First Look book and I'm looking forward to a great discussion.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I agree with Wrighty (Hi Deb) -any way you want to read the book is fine- all at once, a bit at a time as we discuss, or even do what I do, read the whole book through and then go back and read it again as the discussion progresses.  I often find that I missed a few things on the first go-round, so rereading gives me more than a few "aha" moments. 

Stephanie
Reader
skrishna
0 Kudos

Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself! I'm really excited to be reading The Mighty Queens of Freeville!
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,142 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: