Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
shopdaisy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi, my name is Jennifer and this is my first time to be a part of the First Look Book Club.  I have very young children and work full time as a legal secretary.  I love to read and learn new things.  I am really looking forward to partaking in discussing this book. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Pamela from Fort Collins Co (yes, another one!) but for this group I'll go by PJ to make it easier to tell us apart. The first Fort Collins Pamela contacted me via goodreads.com after she listed Mighty Queens on her booklist and I popped up as currently reading it, lived in the same town, and was roughly the same age. Very bizarre! I'm an RN with a previous History degree, single, and have two fur children. Haven't finished the book yet but hope to post soon. I'm not sure but my posting may be limited as this new BN update does not agree with my home system. I have a dickens of a time signing in and posting on threads.
Contributor
lsmith3125
0 Kudos

Hi!  I've been reading First Look selection for a while now, I think that this is my fifth.  I do believe that it's my favorite so far!

I'm self-employed as a full-time caregiver.  I'm an avid reader and quilter, mom to five adult children and grandma to five wonderful children.  My husband and I have been married for 35 years and figure that we're good for 35 more!  

I love fantasy and historical fiction, so "The Mighty Queens" is a break from the usual for me and I've really enjoyed it! 

New User
CindybS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Welcome to the First Look Book Club for Amy Dickinson's memoir The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I'm Stephanie, and I'm honored to be your moderator for this club.  

Please introduce yourself here and share a little bit about yourself. 

Better late than never, I guess!  I was excited to be included in my first "First Look"  opportunity.

I love to read but I tend to rush through books since I read so many.  I'll enjoy taking the time to analyze what I'm reading and reciprocate views with others.

CindybS
Contributor
Gretchen_Young
0 Kudos

My name is Gretchen Young and I am Amy's book editor. I am so glad to read about all of you. I think you will find that, in many ways, Amy is writing about all of us. I love Amy's advice column and-- for years-- tried to get her to write a book for us. So, I am particularly thrilled that she did put pen to paper and was willing to share The Mighty Queens. Enjoy ! 

Learn more about The Mighty Queens of Freeville.
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Gretchen_Young wrote:
My name is Gretchen Young and I am Amy's book editor. I am so glad to read about all of you. I think you will find that, in many ways, Amy is writing about all of us. I love Amy's advice column and-- for years-- tried to get her to write a book for us. So, I am particularly thrilled that she did put pen to paper and was willing to share The Mighty Queens. Enjoy ! 

Hi Gretchen, welcome and thanks for bringing us the book.  I had never heard of Amy, but after reading the first part of her book love the way she writes and plan to check out her radio program and advise columns. 

Reader
bethypo00
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

My name is Liz and this is my first book club and first look for that matterI just got my book today so I definitely have a lot of catching up to do!! 

Frequent Contributor
Kathy
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Kathy from Texas. This is my 3rd or 4th First Look. I've really enjoyed the books I've gotten and read from here so far and I really am glad I got selected for the Mighty Queens. I haven't received my book yet, but hope it gets here soon. Can't wait to start reading it!
Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

This is Diane from ND/AZ. Just received my copy today of The Mighty Queens of Freeville, by Amy Dickinson.

This is the first time as a First Look book reader and online bookclub member.

My husband, Bruce, and I are in Arizona in the winter and North Dakota in the summer. That is when my husband isn't undergoing treatments for cancer here in Arizona.

We have four grown children and  ten grandchildren.

Love to read, I usually have at least two books going at the same time.

Thank you B&N for this experience!

New User
txgritsTD
0 Kudos

Hi Im Terri and live in TX.  My good friend, Tarri in WA gave me the info to get the book and into the book club.  Looking forward to the discussions!
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

txgritsTD wrote:
Hi Im Terri and live in TX.  My good friend, Tarri in WA gave me the info to get the book and into the book club.  Looking forward to the discussions!

:smileyhappy:  Hi Terri, welcome.  You'll love participating in the discussions and reading the books they chose for us. 
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

danikl wrote:

This is Diane from ND/AZ. Just received my copy today of The Mighty Queens of Freeville, by Amy Dickinson.

This is the first time as a First Look book reader and online bookclub member.

My husband, Bruce, and I are in Arizona in the winter and North Dakota in the summer. That is when my husband isn't undergoing treatments for cancer here in Arizona.

We have four grown children and  ten grandchildren.

Love to read, I usually have at least two books going at the same time.

Thank you B&N for this experience!

Welcome to you and everyone else who is joining us for the first time. We all have a lot of fun here. So sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I hope he is responding well to treatment. Arizona must be amazing in the winter! We have long, cold months here in NY.

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

hi my name is sara i live in the midwest. so far it is a very easy read. i like the humour in it especially in times of trouble. you can alaways use a good laugh in times of trouble.:smileyvery-happy:
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 675 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: