Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

If you want to see if its been read yet, just go to your pm's, check in the "sent" part, if its black, they have not read it yet, if its grey, they have. Sometimes it takes a day or so to get read. But just check it like any other private message sent and you can tell. :smileywink:

LillyAndLola wrote:
Hey, Stephanie! Hope my registration went through. Is there any way to confirm that you received it? I love Amy Dickinson and am really eager to participate!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Thanks, Vivian! I'm still fumbling through the learning process. It does look as though it's been read. I'm hoping this goes back to you as a PM to be sure I understand how THAT works!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Actually as you may see, it is on the board lol. That's ok, if you want to send me, or anyone a pm, click on my name where it will let you and you will see my profile (none lol) and a line that says, send this person a private message. Then it will send it to me. I will reply to it in a pm when I get it. When you hit reply in here, even tho its to my post, it is replying to the post, not me really. Click on my name by this post and see if you get it, right click it and it will open in a separate window too. Same with pm's, which I always prefer, so I can still see the board while I pm. I will be looking. Glad you saw yours was read, now you can rest easy about that. :smileywink:

LillyAndLola wrote:
Thanks, Vivian! I'm still fumbling through the learning process. It does look as though it's been read. I'm hoping this goes back to you as a PM to be sure I understand how THAT works!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

LillyAndLola,

The registration actually doesn't go to me, and if you sent it via PM on this site, it arrived.  I wish everyone who wanted to could participate, but unfortunately, the number of books is limited, so "lottery" it is.  I think Amy Dickinson is great, too, and I'm certain Queens is going to be a great read. 

Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Teresa from Ky.  I've been lurking for quite a while, enjoying the posts, and thought this opportunity would be a great way to jump into the club.

Contributor
Worducopia
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Ali! I'm new to First Look and have never been in an online book club before but I'm a regular participant in LibraryThing.com, am part of the book blogging community and post reviews on my blog. I'm looking forward to having another place to talk about books! I love Amy's column and really hope I'm selected to recieve her book.

My blog: worducopia.blogspot.com
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Ashley,

I signed up I believe just a few hours after the post went up. Is there any telling who gets selected? I am very excited and hope to get chosen! BTW - some other background info. I live in Hollywood, FL - graduated undergrad as an English Lit major and really enjoy this sort of thing! ;-)  

~*Ash*~
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Ali,

Thanks for mentioning LibraryThing.com - what a neat site.  But the thought of going in and cataloguing all my books?  ...daunting!  :smileyhappy:

Stephanie
Contributor
pousterj
0 Kudos

Hello,

Looking forward to reading this book.  I have done several of the past First Look Books and they have all been good choices.  It really helps me reach outside my comfort zone of mysteries.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Hello all,

My name is Dawn and I'm from Long Island. I am really looking forward to reading this book - and participating in the on-line book discussions here! I hope I'm chosen! :smileyhappy:

Dawn

New User
AleaML
0 Kudos

Hello all! I live in Morgantown, WV and have looked for a book club in town, but alas, I have not found any. So this looks really interesting! :-)

New User
cmburke
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Christina.  I'm a stay at home mom  of a 2 year old and formerly a child and family therapist.  I LOVE reading and am looking forward to this book!  I enjoy listening to amy dickinson on Talk of the Nation on NPR every other thursday.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Gail F. And I just received my email telling me I am in the First Look Book Club for Amy Dickinson's The Mighty Queens of Freevillie. Can't wait to get started reading this book it sound very interesting.  My first love is reading since I was a little girl, now I am 56 year old and it still is my first love.  Hope to meet more reader like me (smile).  Always have a book on me at all times.

gmfuhlman

New User
xombie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

My name is Joanne and I just heard that I will be receiving a copy of The Mighty Queens of Freeville. 

I am so looking forward to reading and discussing this book. Books are an obsession for me and I've been an avid reader since I was a child. I'm a member of LibraryThing and I also recently started a blog dedicated to book reviews and book related things.  

BookZombie Book Blog

Reader 2
jady25
0 Kudos

Hi there! My name is Lorna and I just got my email saying that I will be included in this book club! I participated in two first look book clubs before, but the second one I wasn't able to post but still read the book. I am the mostly single mother to an amazing 11 month old boy. My husband is in the military and he has not been home for more than a few weeks at a time in over two years. It has been hard but I am looking forward to him being stationed in the states where our son and I can go live with him soon. I am hoping that this book will keep me ocupied while I wait for his return! I'm really looking forward to it! So glad I will be included.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to hear that you've received your emails, that means our time to begin discussing is getting sooner!

Lorna,  I have been where you are- my husband retired not too long ago.  We were getting too old for all those separations!  My heart goes out to you- just remember that you can escape to books. 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
abbyg7
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Abby from Michigan.  I just read my message confirming that I will receive a copy of The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I have participated in several other First Looks and am excited to do another.  I love to read and try to make as much time for it as possible.  Looking forward to discussing with everyone.

Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Well, I just got my confirm email that my book will be sent to be in just a few days, woohoo! I am very, very enthused about this! I can't wait for the book club to start! Woo hooooo!
~*Ash*~
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! My name is Donna, and I hope to receive a message letting me know I will be getting a book. It looks good!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader
thecskellers
0 Kudos

Hi!  I am new to the First Look Book Club.  I have been a long time observer but decided to jump in and give it a try.  I am a stay at home mom of 2 kids....1 in school and 1 at home.  I can't wait to get the book and start reading.  I'm excited!

Catherine

Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 348 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: