Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Welcomes and Introductions

Welcome to the First Look Book Club for Amy Dickinson's memoir The Mighty Queens of Freeville.  I'm Stephanie, and I'm honored to be your moderator for this club.  

Please introduce yourself here and share a little bit about yourself. 

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I'm so excited! This is my second First Look Book Club and I completely enjoyed the last experience! I'm a Navy wife who is currently living in Newport, RI. The kids are back in school giving me more time to read non-picture books. I love reading Dear Abby, so I'm looking forward to reading "The Mighty Queens of Freeville!"
New User
rebeccarobbins120
0 Kudos

Hi I am rebecca R and Looking forward to reading this. I love reading, but I am a mom af 3 so limited time :smileyhappy:

Cant wait for this one

Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Bridgid and I am a nurse from Philly, PA.  I love being involved in the First Look discussions.  This will be my fourth, if I get it.  I have enjoyed all the books and the best part at least for me is that I don't have the critics biasing me one way or the other.  I am the type of person who has to see movies or read new books before others do, I don't know why, I have always been this way.  Looking forward to reading and discussing this book.

bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi, its me Vivian from Oklahoma. I like that we had a choice this time and I am looking forward to the club. Good to see you guys.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
hannah7299
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Hannah and I am excited to be doing the First Look again!  This book seems like it will be really enjoyable. 
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Hey all! Crossing my fingers I get in this one!!
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Carolyn and am looking forward to another First Look book. This will be my 2nd First Look, if I get it. I agree, it's nice to have a choice of books this time, although both choices looked great!
Contributor
pjmama
0 Kudos

Hi everybody--

So hard to choose, but I think The Mighty Queens looks great.  Can't wait to read it and hear what everyone thinks.  I'm a mom of two and a former English teacher, so I love the discussions. 

Contributor
kbetts01
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Kathy, mom of three boys and member of two other (not on the web), book clubs.  This is my third time doing the First Look book club and think it is wonderful.

PS...I am a little confused though, in the past we had to send an email to get the book, but all I did was hit a link that said register for the book and after clicking I ended up here...how will they know my mailing address?

Kathy B

Regards, Kathy B
Proud mom to three boys
Contributor
kbetts01
0 Kudos

I found the sign up thread...sorry

kathy b

Regards, Kathy B
Proud mom to three boys
Contributor
brittanybe
0 Kudos

Wow lots of moms on here! I live in Denver, CO and have two daughters, both toddlers. I did The Monster's of Templeton and loved that book. I'm excited to get my hands on MQ of Freeville.
Contributor
kayJ
0 Kudos

Hi I am Kay. I am excited to join for the first time and hope I get the book. I look forward to it.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Hey Kourt, I noticed that you are on both First Look boards. I hope you didn't register for both because according to the rules you will be disqualified. If you did maybe you can contact admin and retract one. I'd hate to see you miss out.

Kourt wrote:
Hey all! Crossing my fingers I get in this one!!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy B

Glad you found the sign up thread - no need to be sorry!  

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to see so many people are already interested - I think this is going to be a terrific group.  I'm looking forward to it! 
Stephanie
New User
Dulcie101
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Dulcie; I just joined the book club tonight; I am an avid reader and am finding myself rather lost with my children's growing independence and social lives. I do hope to get accepted for this read but either way I am looking forward to reading the book and seeing different views on it.
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

This is my third First Look Book Club time and The Mighty Queens of Freeville looks like my favorite so far. I surely hope I get picked this time. Since starting with First Look, I have now started reviewing books for fun the past 6 months and am loving it. Thanks, First Look, for getting me started!
New User
carole0707
0 Kudos

Hello All

My name is Carole and I'm a grandmother from PA.  This is my first B&N book club sign up, so I'm really excited to do this.  I hope I get it.  I'll read this book either way, it sounds great.

Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Hey, Stephanie! Hope my registration went through. Is there any way to confirm that you received it? I love Amy Dickinson and am really eager to participate!
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 215 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: