Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Whole Book Discussion

This thread is suitable for those who have finished the book. Please be aware that this thread will contain spoilers.

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Book Discussion

Warning: this article can be considered a SPOILER if you have not finished the book.

Those who have finished the book are likely to enjoy this New York Times article.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I will post this again here, altho I put it in Chapter 10 because of the discussion there. I don't think it is a spoiler there either tho. But part of it is what I think about the book as a whole, so here it is.

But the name of the book is The Mighty Queens. Yet these two relationships, the one with her daughter and the one with her father actually give us more of a story. They are more interesting. Heck, as we both said here, they are more detailed. The rest of the book to me actually was just ok. It was nice, there were some laughs. There is a commonality with us all that might make for a good advice colunmist but the things in the book other than these two storylines are so common place with us as to not lend much new to us as a book. Yes there are good one liners but well, I still think just adding even 50 more pages of character development of the other women in The Mighty Queens, why they were mighty, would have made this a meatier book, while still keeping a good balance of humor. I don't dislike the book at all. But, well ok, in the past 2 1/2 years there was only one book that I read and thought, this was ok but more of an airport read, just something light to keep you busy while getting from one place to another but not much else. Now this is the only other book in that time I feel this about. I think it will wind up as that kind of sale too without those "50" pages. (Number not really important, just what I mean by them.)

1ggprincess wrote:
Well I personally don't know much about shotguns. But I want to agree with you on her describing her relationship with her father. She really delved into how she feels about him. What she thinks about him. What her daughter thinks about him. Much more descriptive than the actual women in her life. My thoughts are that she knows how she feels about her aunts and mother. Her relationship with her father was sad and strained and I'm sure something she had to work on. So something you worked on and thought about that much- of course you will be able to be more detailed.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader
cassiopia_cat
0 Kudos

. I enjoyed the book but I wasn't overly enthused about it. The way that Amy wrote her story made her a very likeable person and someone who I would like to know... but the stories themselves were not so inspiring. I found her narrative of the events in her life to be quite scattered...nothing seemed to flow from one chapter to another and aside from how her life mirrored her mother's...how did that make her a "Mighty Queen"? I believe that all single mothers doing their best and striving for the best life for their families are Mighty Queens but I don't believe that the women that Amy Dickinson portrayed in this memoir are shown to be Mighty Queens even if they are so in real life...not enough evidence. Of course...this is just my humble opinion and the book was a pleasant read just not fleshed out enough for me. 3 out of 5 stars
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Whew! I'm glad I found this thread. I, too, thought the book was just "okay" but kept reading all these other posts about how spectacular it was. Maybe my lackluster reaction was due to the fact I just came off another memoir (which I really enjoyed) with vignette style memories. Or, I'm also not a single mom (or mom at all for that matter).  Like other reviewers on this thread, I expected to be more regarding The Mighty Queens themselves (as per the title).

Although certainly easy to read with a likeable narrator I found it hard to get into and had problems with the flow of the book as well. Still, I found many of the moments humorous and touching.  How can you not love peanut Jesus? As a pet owner, I teared up when she had to say goodbye to her cat and found many of her daughter's innocent yet wise reflections on life as profound--kids just lay it out don't they? I have to admit though, the dating sections were pretty accuarate (I can relate to that being a single woman in my 40s). Although, my reaction is just lukewarm I do have to girl friends who I think will really love this book. I would also give it 3 of 5 stars.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting this article. I love the picture!

Peppermill wrote:

Warning: this article can be considered a SPOILER if you have not finished the book.

Those who have finished the book are likely to enjoy this New York Times article.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the book and as you can see from other posts of mine, there are quite a few memorable lines. But, I must confess that it is not a book I would ordinarily pick up. The First Look group has allowed me to step out of what I normally gravitate to and read something totally different. (I read a lot of biographies, but not usually autobiographies.) Like others, I would love to have had more information about certain characters, like the "Mighty Queens," and think the book could have been longer. I am hoping that Amy will help flesh out some of them for us. All in all, it is a good book.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
fictionhound
0 Kudos

i really enjoyed this memoir. i normally keep to fiction, but the description of this memoir made me decide to choose it. i am glad that i did. i can understand how others would be disappointed that the "mighty queens" were not in the book more. i felt that how they were in the book was how they live in her life in a way. amy had her own life with her daughter in the city, but she would take those trips back home. as her daughter grows and becomes independent amy is pulled back closer to home to the original women in her life. and then at the end we see amy develop a romantic attachment that again pulls her away a bit. she is like the tide coming in and out and the women in her life are the beach. throughout the book, i felt that amy was able to survive and then flourish through the tough times because she always knew that she had her "mighty queens" on her side. i almost like that we don't have too many details about them since the readers can picture their own "mighty queens". i will be passing this book along to my "mighty queens" to read.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for posting the article! It is great - what a well deserved happy ending (or beginning, really! ) 

Peppermill wrote:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Donna and Delta -- thanks for your kind words.  I am glad that you enjoyed the article and picture -- I, too, enjoyed both and hope it marks a happy ending/beginning.

Here is a PDF with a picture of Amy and Emily that I also enjoyed.  Hope you do, too.

Pepper

Deltadawn wrote:

Thank you so much for posting the article! It is great - what a well deserved happy ending (or beginning, really! ) 

DSaff wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
dege
0 Kudos

I quickly read this book over the weekend and found it to be a light, enjoyable read. It was entertaining and funny with a few sad moments thrown in. One of my favorite chapters was the one about the cat. I chuckled quite a bit through this chapter as it really came to life for me as I've known a cat that was very much like Pumpkin in both character and looksMy other favorite chapter was the Apex of Dorkitude which I also found very endearing and sweet and easily identified with.

I didn't feel cheated by the lack of detail about the "queens" in Amy's family as I felt I already knew them in the many strong women that I find in my own family. I guess it's a habit of mine to use my own characters to fill in the blanks whenever necessary!

All in all this book has all the makings of a nice story-- it has laughs, some tears and a happy ending!

Author
Amy_Dickinson
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Donna and Delta -- thanks for your kind words.  I am glad that you enjoyed the article and picture -- I, too, enjoyed both and hope it marks a happy ending/beginning.

Here is a PDF with a picture of Amy and Emily that I also enjoyed.  Hope you do, too.

Pepper

One correction -- the above is most definitely not a picture of me with Emily. It is an advertisement for my advice column. I'll post a picture when I can find one -- and the book will feature a couple of photographs of us....amy

Deltadawn wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Learn more about The Mighty Queens of Freeville.
Contributor
Tonya
0 Kudos

I finished this book and I am glad I stepped out of my normal, once again with First Look. I really enjoyed this memoir about Amy and Emily growing up, but knowing you have that support makes all the difference. I do believe that is why the title is the way it is.

Amy has a way of putting her words onto paper that I sit there and read thinking, yes that is it!

I really appreciate getting to read this book --

Tonya

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Amy_Dickinson wrote:

Peppermill wrote {excerpt}:

Pepper

One correction -- the above is most definitely not a picture of me with Emily. It is an advertisement for my advice column. I'll post a picture when I can find one -- and the book will feature a couple of photographs of us....amy

Oops!  that will remind me about being careless about making assumptions!  Thanks for the correction, Amy.

Pepper

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LOL Pepper! I was thinking, hmm, that doesn't look like her picture here and also, something about the "age difference" or lack thereof, on the one I saw hehe :smileywink: but hey, I assumed you had read it all and knew what you knew, so I took your word for it too....albeit doubtingly. (not your word, but the picture!) hehehe.

Peppermill wrote:

Amy_Dickinson wrote:

Peppermill wrote {excerpt}:

Here is a PDF with a picture of Amy and Emily that I also enjoyed. Hope you do, too.

Pepper

One correction -- the above is most definitely not a picture of me with Emily. It is an advertisement for my advice column. I'll post a picture when I can find one -- and the book will feature a couple of photographs of us....amy

Oops! that will remind me about being careless about making assumptions! Thanks for the correction, Amy.

Pepper

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
kayJ
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

THanks so much for the article and pics!!!
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

I loved this book. I was very happy I chose to read it, since I normally don't read this kind of book. It was a fast read and I enjoyed reading about Amy's close knit family.

The book reminded me a lot of my family, we all live in a small town within thirteen blocks of each other, and are constantly together. Friends have told my sisters and I that when we're together they have trouble following our conversations. Probably because we too have been having one long conversation that 's lasted for years!

April
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I really liked this book and Amy and Emily.  It is so nice to read a memoir that disguises the angst in humor.  It's also nice to read about a person who succeeds even while remaining true to themselves. 

Someone said their favorite chapter was the one about Pumpkin, and as a dogmother who just spent $1500 on a broken tooth and a ripped ear (two dogs), it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I'm not sure if that was my favorite chapter, because I also liked the trip to see her dad, Halloween, collapsing stage, special house, and Tupperware trip to college equally. 

All in all, I'm glad I chose this book.  Of course, I want to read the other one too.  :smileywink:

Contributor
moomjy
0 Kudos

It was a quick read.I found it ok.Not a very unusual story.The one question I kept asking myself while reading was Whats the point?I did not think that it was that great that it needed to be put into a book.Becca
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I found this memoir insightful, interesting and witty.  The quality of Amy's writing is refreshing - so many memoir writers go for shock value over style and substance.  There are no "dirty little secrets" exposed, and no great traumatic events - just an interesting, intelligent woman sharing her story and her insight into life- topics very appropriate coming from her, since she is an advice columnist- someone others turn to in hopes of gaining insight into the minutiae of their own lives.  Not many of us have extraordinarily thrilling lives, but we certainly can relate to each other, and we should. 

What I loved about the novel was the sense that Emily is, even though her home was "broken" extremely well adjusted, and possibly more interesting because of her family's circumstances.  She has something not many of us do- she is a city/country girl- to be comfortable in both worlds from early childhood, that's something else.   Also, I have a huge soft spot for dorks, having been one myself for many years now. 

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,097 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: