Reply
Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

This book sounds so intriguing! I have spent far too little time in New England, myself. Can't wait to get started!
Sarita Li
Inspired Contributor
nadine1
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎10-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


cocospals wrote:
Oh I think I am going to like this one. I too had thought about skipping a session because there really hasn't been much substance to the last couple of books. But the historical aspect of this one got my attention and i am in for another round of good reading.

 

I agree with you.  I am struggling to get through Sag Harbor, which seems like a lot of description with very little action.  I hope this bit of historical fiction is as good as The House at Riverton.  I hope I'm accepted to this book club!
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


Everyman wrote:

Okay, you guys twisted my arm.  :smileyhappy:

 

Assuming I'm in time to get in on the copies, it should be a fun read.  

 


blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:
Hmmm.  I was thinking of giving the next FL book club a pass, because I'm about read out of modern psychological novels for the time being, but this novel rooted in colonial history may make me change my mind.  I'll have to think about this. 

 

Oh come now Everyman! I was so looking forward to your takes on witchcraft, "physicks," and religious paranoia. Just think of all of the varied topics to debate. You must reconsider!

I agree with Thayer! 


 


blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:
Hmmm.  I was thinking of giving the next FL book club a pass, because I'm about read out of modern psychological novels for the time being, but this novel rooted in colonial history may make me change my mind.  I'll have to think about this. 

 

Oh come now Everyman! I was so looking forward to your takes on witchcraft, "physicks," and religious paranoia. Just think of all of the varied topics to debate. You must reconsider!

I agree with Thayer! 


 

 


 

Everyman am delighted you decided to join. (Assuming we both get copies) I can't wait for the discussions to begin.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ
Posts: 193
Registered: ‎03-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

This sounds like a really great book! It has all of the elements that tickle my reading fancy. Though the Salem Trials were a dark part of our American History, the subject is still fascinating. Add a spooky house, lost treasure, family history & a good solid mystery we're talking perfection! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎07-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

I agree this book sounds more  like a novel and a good read than the last two books from

First Look--which were more memoirs with not much action.

 

And this is a truly fascinating time from American HIstory.  I remember being intrigued even as a child in grade school in the fifties with the poor witches fates.  There sure has been some remarkabke literature about this time period.  Anyone see the Cruicible on stage? 

Contributor
Silvia
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎01-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

This sounds like an interesting fun to read book.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
Posts: 260
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


deannafrances wrote:

I agree this book sounds more  like a novel and a good read than the last two books from

First Look--which were more memoirs with not much action.

 

And this is a truly fascinating time from American HIstory.  I remember being intrigued even as a child in grade school in the fifties with the poor witches fates.  There sure has been some remarkabke literature about this time period.  Anyone see the Cruicible on stage? 


No, but I read the play my junior year of high school -- we were also doing The Scarlet Letter, and it was a tie-in with that.  I'm too late to participate, but I was post-hopping and I thought I'd put in my 2-cents worth anyway.

 

Redcatlady 

Correspondent
CJINCA
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎11-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


deannafrances wrote:

 Anyone see the Cruicible on stage? 


Yes, we saw Liam Neeson and Laura Linney on Broadway a few years ago -- amazing, powerful performances, I thought it was very moving.

 

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
Posts: 311
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

This book sounds wonderful!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


CJINCA wrote:

deannafrances wrote:

 Anyone see the Cruicible on stage? 


Yes, we saw Liam Neeson and Laura Linney on Broadway a few years ago -- amazing, powerful performances, I thought it was very moving.

 


I just read in the New York Times that Natasha Richardson, Liam Neeson's wife, died today as a result of a skiing accident.  Very sad news. 

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

I'm glad Everyman that you decided to stay with First Look this time.  I like reading what your interpretations of what you've read are.  Your very inciteful, and give me different views from my own.  Like everyone else in First Look we all have different thoughts and views of what we've read.  Thank you also for always being so welcoming and helpful to the new people like me.
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
Posts: 199
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

I hope I'm able to get in!  I wasn't able to particpate in Sag Harbor's discussion at all (I haven't even read it yet) because I had a baby Feb 12th, but this book is looks to be right up my alley.
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

Congratulations!  =)


Popper19 wrote:
I hope I'm able to get in!  I wasn't able to particpate in Sag Harbor's discussion at all (I haven't even read it yet) because I had a baby Feb 12th, but this book is looks to be right up my alley.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

While we're waiting for The Physick Book to arrive, it might be interesting to read Arthur Miller's play The Crucible.  It's been quite a few years since I last read it, but it may be relevant to our book discussion.  Perhaps the moderators would think it sufficiently relevant to open a separate thread for the discussion of it??
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

Everyman,

 

I'll talk to the admins about it. This format is a bit more structured than our usual discussions. But the Community Room would be a great place to start that conversation now, if you'd like to. Great idea.

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

Thanks.  I think it might get lost in the Community Room among all the other posts (and would change the nature of that room, which has always been a casual escape from serious discussion), so I'll wait to see what the admins have to say.


rkubie wrote:

Everyman,

 

I'll talk to the admins about it. This format is a bit more structured than our usual discussions. But the Community Room would be a great place to start that conversation now, if you'd like to. Great idea.

 

 


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Contributor
MSReader
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

Good idea to re-visit The Crucible.  It's been way too many years!!

I'm so excited to be a part of this book discussion...can't wait for it to arrive!

 

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time~ Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎01-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

It is a really good idea to revisit "The Crucible".  It has been YEARS for me, too!  It seems to me that we are all a lot more excited about this book than we have been the last few!:smileywink:
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

I read the book years ago but I saw the play last year.  It was just as good as I remembered it being!
Correspondent
bookowlie
Posts: 177
Registered: ‎04-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe


Everyman wrote:
While we're waiting for The Physick Book to arrive, it might be interesting to read Arthur Miller's play The Crucible.  It's been quite a few years since I last read it, but it may be relevant to our book discussion.  Perhaps the moderators would think it sufficiently relevant to open a separate thread for the discussion of it??

 

Great idea.  I am going to look for The Crucible in the library this week.