Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

Katherine Howe and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Title: The Physick Book of Deliverance

Harvard graduate student Connie Goodwin needs to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation. But when her mother asks her to handle the sale of Connie's grandmother's abandoned home near Salem, she can't refuse. As she is drawn deeper into the mysteries of the family house, Connie discovers an ancient key secreted within a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains a yellowing fragment of parchment with a name written upon it: Deliverance Dane. This discovery launches Connie on a quest to find out who this woman was, and to unearth a rare colonial artifact of singular power: a physick book, its pages a secret repository for lost knowledge of herbs and other, stranger things. As the pieces of Deliverance's harrowing story begin to fall into place, Connie is haunted by visions of the long-ago witch trials, and begins to fear that she is more tied to Salem's dark past then she could have ever imagined.

About Katherine Howe:

Katherine Howe is completing a Ph.D. in American and New England Studies, and is a descendant of Elizabeth Proctor, who survived the Salem witch trials, and Elizabeth Howe, who did not. The idea for this novel developed while Howe was studying for her doctoral qualifying exams, and walking her dog through the woods between Marblehead and Salem. She lives in Massachusetts, with her husband.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
BBrat1031

Re: About The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane & Katherine Howe

This book sounds facinating. I have been to Salem many times when I lived in Connecticut and Western Mass. I was first drawn in when I was but 12 years old visiting on a school field trip. I have always found it a wonderful place to visit. I love the history and lore of the town and it's witches who are friendly and welcoming. I have taken classes with Laurie Cabot. I especially love the area in the early fall, Halloween (aka Sahain) with it'sa Haunted Happenings is a must see.
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

This book sounds very interesting. It sounds like it has mystery, adventure , and knowledge. Great ingredients for a fantastic read.
Contributor
Word_Angler
0 Kudos

This sounds exciting: a bit of history and a bit of mystery.
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

This sounds like an absolutely lucious book!! Salem and witches, history and mystery!  I can't wait to dig in!
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Hmmm.  I was thinking of giving the next FL book club a pass, because I'm about read out of modern psychological novels for the time being, but this novel rooted in colonial history may make me change my mind.  I'll have to think about this. 
0 Kudos

Oh!  A first look without Everyman?  Really?  I remember you saying that you were going to sit out one or two, but perhaps this shouldn't be the one.

Amanda

Everyman wrote:
Hmmm.  I was thinking of giving the next FL book club a pass, because I'm about read out of modern psychological novels for the time being, but this novel rooted in colonial history may make me change my mind.  I'll have to think about this. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

This book sounds like an absolutely, can't put it down novel. And Eman please reconsider, it would be a lonely book club without our voice of reason.
Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

This sounds like a great read!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

This looks very interesting.  My family recently researched our family tree and found that I am related to Rebecca Nurse, who was also a victim of the Salem witch trials.  That one was quite a surprise to all of us and it certainly prompted us to learn more about her and the trials! 

I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Maria_H wrote:

About Katherine Howe:

Katherine Howe is completing a Ph.D. in American and New England Studies, and is a descendant of Elizabeth Proctor, who survived the Salem witch trials, and Elizabeth Howe, who did not. The idea for this novel developed while Howe was studying for her doctoral qualifying exams, and walking her dog through the woods between Marblehead and Salem. She lives in Massachusetts, with her husband.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer

Everyman wrote:

Oh come now Everyman! I was so looking forward to your takes on witchcraft, "physicks," and religious paranoia. Just think of all of the varied topics to debate. You must reconsider!
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Oh come now Everyman! I was so looking forward to your takes on witchcraft, "physicks," and religious paranoia. Just think of all of the varied topics to debate. You must reconsider!

I agree with Thayer! 

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hoping to get in on this discussion group!  I practice alternative medicine (herbs and homeopathy), so that avenue, as well as the Salem historical aspect, appeals greatly.

I just recently read The Lace Reader and miss the atmosphere <grin>, so would love to visit that area of the country for another read.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Fond_of_Books
0 Kudos

This sounds very insteresting. I like the combination of history with the fantasy aspect of traveling back or making a connection through dreams.

I sounds similar to Labyrinth and Sepulchre by Kate Mosse. Different time period, but a similar idea.

I hope I get to read this one.

Fond_of_Books

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. ~Louisa May Alcott
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I went to Salem for the first time this past summer, and found it fascinating. This book sounds great!

Carol

So many books, so little time...
New User
readingmomDL

I can't wait to read this book...I grew up in Western Mass. and have been to Salem many times!!!
Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

I can't wait to read this book.  I am descended from Susannah Martin and John Proctor.  Perhaps the author and I are distantly related - through marriage anyway. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Okay, you guys twisted my arm.  :smileyhappy:

Assuming I'm in time to get in on the copies, it should be a fun read.  

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:

I agree with Thayer! 

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:

I agree with Thayer! 

Everyman wrote:

Okay, you guys twisted my arm.  :smileyhappy:

Assuming I'm in time to get in on the copies, it should be a fun read.  

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:

I agree with Thayer! 

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Everyman wrote:

I agree with Thayer! 

YAY!! Eman is onboard! This is a gonna be a great FirstLook! I'm REALLY looking forward to it now!

Suzi

Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Oh I think I am going to like this one. I too had thought about skipping a session because there really hasn't been much substance to the last couple of books. But the historical aspect of this one got my attention and i am in for another round of good reading.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden