Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63

Re: Arlo-RESPONSE TO MODERATOR QUESTIONS

ponie wrote:

Yes, I see Prince Rupert had a familiar, a DOG, credited with supernatural powers.

We must remember that dog is God Spelled backwards....

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Wordsmith
ponie

Re: Arlo-RESPONSE TO MODERATOR QUESTIONS

biljounc63 wrote:

ponie wrote:

Yes, I see Prince Rupert had a familiar, a DOG, credited with supernatural powers.

We must remember that dog is God Spelled backwards....

OH! That is good.  Being a dog lover I like that!!!  The cat lovers may not.
ponie
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Re: Arlo

Some times I think animals in general are a bit supernatural.

I dont know if Arlo was the same dog or a another generation of the dog from the 1600's.

I have seen cats, alseep  in one room as you are leaving and they end up in another room by the time you get there...as if by magic.  Perhaps animals are a bit more evolved then we give them credit for.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

RNLana wrote:

Just for fun, I looked up the meaning of "Arlo":

Greek- Strong, brave, courageous  one. A form of Andrew.
Latin

Spanish meaning is "Barberry tree"

I love the idea of Arlo meaning strong, brave and courageous.  To me, that is exactly what his character is like.  He is always strong for the women in the story and courageous enough to protect them like when he attacked Chilton to protect Connie. 

I am not sure about the barberry tree.  I didn't find anything relevant there.

Great forethought RNLana! Thank you for the definition. I was wondering why Connie picked the name Arlo. It seemed like such a silly name but now we know why!

TRJ4SQ

TRJ4SQ wrote:

NP! There's actually quite a bit of reading on "The White Dog" theory. Another mystical realm to delve into! :smileyhappy:

DSaff wrote:

Neat link! Thanks, TRJ  :smileywink:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Speculation has been that they are either the same 'dog' or of the same line. At one pooint, I agreed with this; however, my imagination is getting the better of me and I am thinking that 'the dog' is actually a male figure (father or grandfather) that has past away.

CathyB

Wow CathyB, Great thought! It reminds me of a book/movie from the 1990's called To Dance With The White Dog by Georgia & Terry Kay. It's an awesome story (Hallmark Hall of Fame) about a white dog that shows up at an elderly gentleman's house not long after his wife passes on. I'm sure they have it here on B&N.

Here's the Wiki link for a synopsis....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Dance_with_the_White_Dog

I forgot to mention that there is also plenty of reading on the subject of black dogs with much of it being superstitions and dogs from the dark side. Unfortunately, some of these superstitions have carried over into modern life and created something called Black Dog Syndrome. The negative implications associated with black dogs often renders them unadoptable (in some's eyes) and this condemns them to a sad fate.

There is an excellent site regarding this phenomena. It's called Black Pearl Dogs and you can find it here: (I warn you to BEWARE of these black dogs....they may tug at your heart strings!)

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

TRJ4SQ wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

NP! There's actually quite a bit of reading on "The White Dog" theory. Another mystical realm to delve into! :smileyhappy:

DSaff wrote:

Neat link! Thanks, TRJ  :smileywink:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Speculation has been that they are either the same 'dog' or of the same line. At one pooint, I agreed with this; however, my imagination is getting the better of me and I am thinking that 'the dog' is actually a male figure (father or grandfather) that has past away.

CathyB

Wow CathyB, Great thought! It reminds me of a book/movie from the 1990's called To Dance With The White Dog by Georgia & Terry Kay. It's an awesome story (Hallmark Hall of Fame) about a white dog that shows up at an elderly gentleman's house not long after his wife passes on. I'm sure they have it here on B&N.

Here's the Wiki link for a synopsis....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Dance_with_the_White_Dog

I forgot to mention that there is also plenty of reading on the subject of black dogs with much of it being superstitions and dogs from the dark side. Unfortunately, some of these superstitions have carried over into modern life and created something called Black Dog Syndrome. The negative implications associated with black dogs often renders them unadoptable (in some's eyes) and this condemns them to a sad fate.

There is an excellent site regarding this phenomena. It's called Black Pearl Dogs and you can find it here: (I warn you to BEWARE of these black dogs....they may tug at your heart strings!)

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

Never knew about this Black Dog Syndrome.  The ideas we humans get in our heads!!:smileysad:
ponie
Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

The idea of familars has been much more prominent in our culture lately, the golen compass uses magic and familars and they can be any animal if i remeber correcty.  So I was not surprised that Arlo is a dog and that he has a special connection to Connie, it appears that all the women in her family line had familiar in some form or another.  I think that Arlo is a protector of sorts for Connie.
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Jennd1 wrote:
The idea of familars has been much more prominent in our culture lately, the golen compass uses magic and familars and they can be any animal if i remeber correcty.  So I was not surprised that Arlo is a dog and that he has a special connection to Connie, it appears that all the women in her family line had familiar in some form or another.  I think that Arlo is a protector of sorts for Connie.

In the Golden Compass the person's soul resided outside the body in animal-like forms called daemons.  Pantalaimon was Lyra's daemon. 

ponie
Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

I don't think Arlo and Dog are one and the same; rather I think Arlo is a descendent of Dog just as Connie is of Deliverance.  Each familiar is drawn to its witch in every generation.
Contributor
AngieG

Hi All! Like most everyone else, I also loved Arlo. I didn't really notice that he seemed to be appearing and disappearing like others did, I guess that may be why I don't think he is supposed to be Dog.  I think those of us who have dogs of our own find that they sometimes come into our lives, and "appear" and "disappear" just when we need them most; I think that just makes Arlo a great dog, but not necessarily magical. While I was surprised to find that a dog was a witch's familiar in this book instead of a cat as we usually see, after thinking about it I shouldn't have been; dogs can be very empathatic with their owners and understand alot about us and what is going on even though they can't tell us that they do; that would be a great quality to have in a familiar.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

AngieG wrote:
Hi All! Like most everyone else, I also loved Arlo. I didn't really notice that he seemed to be appearing and disappearing like others did, I guess that may be why I don't think he is supposed to be Dog.  I think those of us who have dogs of our own find that they sometimes come into our lives, and "appear" and "disappear" just when we need them most; I think that just makes Arlo a great dog, but not necessarily magical. While I was surprised to find that a dog was a witch's familiar in this book instead of a cat as we usually see, after thinking about it I shouldn't have been; dogs can be very empathatic with their owners and understand alot about us and what is going on even though they can't tell us that they do; that would be a great quality to have in a familiar.

Every dog that I have ever had has been very insightful and somewhat protective.  Dogs seem to have that sixth sense about them.  They can judge people before you know them and sense danger before it arrives.  Dogs also love unconditionally and never cease to amaze me!  My dogs have always seemed to know when I needed them to just be there.  I cannot tell you how many times I have cried into a dog's fur and felt comforted.  I agree that Arlo seems to be more than just a "dog," and maybe a spirit, but what it comes down to is that he is there for Connie when she needs him.  Dogs have an amazing spirit!  People could learn a lot from them!
"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Wordsmith
marciliogq

I've always been careful to details about symbology when I read a book, specially if a book about witches, magic... Arlo is, in my point of view, one of the most interesting characters. Katherine Howe comes to deconstruct the picture of cats as the only witches' proctectors and followers. I don't know if any, here in the discussion has already made the relation to Argos (Odysseus's faithful dog in Greek mythology) and Arlo. The names are very similar and their personalities too. Argos is the only one who recognizes the supernatural power of Odysseus to be transformed into an old man and Arlo is the one who opens Connie the gate to a supernatural investigation about her Granna's life and her connection to witches.

According to Jean Cirlot in his Dictionary of Symbols (page 84):

DOG - An emblem of faithfulness, and it is in this sense that it appears so often
at the feet of women in the engravings on mediaeval tombs (...). In Christian symbolism, the dog has another sense, deriving from the function of the sheep-dog: that of guard-
ing and guiding the flocks, which at times becomes an allegory of the priest (46).
In a more profound sense, though still related to the foregoing, the dog is—like the
vulture—the companion of the dead on their ‘Night Sea-Crossing’, which is
associated with the symbolisms of the mother and of resurrection. It has a similar
significance when it appears in scenes depicting the Mithraic sacrifice of the bull
(31). In alchemy, it was used as a sign rather than as a symbol. A dog devoured by
a wolf represents the purification of gold by means of antimony.

As we can see Arlo appears as a kind of ghost as told by many of the participant of the forum.It appears and disappears too many times, secretly. Arlo is the responsiblse by the ressurrection of a witchcraft world disappeared with Connie's grandmother's death. When the dog brings the mandrake in his mouth he plants the seed of reflection and doubts in Connie's mind. He is the representation of the one that guards the gate/passage between the supernatural and humans' world.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:

I've always been careful to details about symbology when I read a book, specially if a book about witches, magic... Arlo is, in my point of view, one of the most interesting characters. Katherine Howe comes to deconstruct the picture of cats as the only witches' proctectors and followers. I don't know if any, here in the discussion has already made the relation to Argos (Odysseus's faithful dog in Greek mythology) and Arlo. The names are very similar and their personalities too. Argos is the only one who recognizes the supernatural power of Odysseus to be transformed into an old man and Arlo is the one who opens Connie the gate to a supernatural investigation about her Granna's life and her connection to witches.

DOG - An emblem of faithfulness, and it is in this sense that it appears so often
at the feet of women in the engravings on mediaeval tombs (...). In Christian symbolism, the dog has another sense, deriving from the function of the sheep-dog: that of guard-
ing and guiding the flocks, which at times becomes an allegory of the priest (46).
In a more profound sense, though still related to the foregoing, the dog is—like the
associated with the symbolisms of the mother and of resurrection. It has a similar
significance when it appears in scenes depicting the Mithraic sacrifice of the bull
(31). In alchemy, it was used as a sign rather than as a symbol. A dog devoured by

As we can see Arlo appears as a kind of ghost as told by many of the participant of the forum.It appears and disappears too many times, secretly. Arlo is the responsiblse by the ressurrection of a witchcraft world disappeared with Connie's grandmother's death. When the dog brings the mandrake in his mouth he plants the seed of reflection and doubts in Connie's mind. He is the representation of the one that guards the gate/passage between the supernatural and humans' world.

Wow! This is excellent information and a very insightful post. Thank You!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Wonderful post and information! Thank you  =)

marciliogq wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your laurels and congratulations. As a recommendation see dictionaries of symbols or literary symbols and you'll find an infinity of multiple and meaningful considerations about DOGS.
Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

We've now gained a lot more information about who Connie is. What do we really know about Arlo? What about dog? Were you surprised to hear that a dog was thought to be the "familiar" to a witch?

There's not really alot to say about Arlo.  He's not much of a watchdog.  He provides Connie with comfort when she's at her Granna's house.  He is a stray who found Connie or Connie found him.  I think he found her.  He seems to be the dog who stumbles on to things and seems to know a little about the house.  He seems very comfortable living there and seems to be very comfortable with Connie's friends.  He seems to give his permission for Sam to go out with Connie.  He doesn't bite him or bark at him either.  He fits in very well into Connie's life.

I'd not known about familiar's and then to find out that it could be a dog was a bit intriguing.  I always thought it was always a cat.  That cats were associated with witches and witches were bad therefore cats were bad.  I guess there goes that theory.

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

I loved Arlo throughout the book. He always knew what was happening and was there when needed...he gave the first hint to Connie that life in the Milk Street house would not be a normal one...when he showed up with the mandrake root.

I'd never considered a dog to be a familiar...always associate more with cats, obviously...but he seems to be a good fit.

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

drbjaded wrote:

We've now gained a lot more information about who Connie is. What do we really know about Arlo? What about dog? Were you surprised to hear that a dog was thought to be the "familiar" to a witch?

There's not really alot to say about Arlo.  He's not much of a watchdog.  He provides Connie with comfort when she's at her Granna's house.  He is a stray who found Connie or Connie found him.  I think he found her.  He seems to be the dog who stumbles on to things and seems to know a little about the house.  He seems very comfortable living there and seems to be very comfortable with Connie's friends.  He seems to give his permission for Sam to go out with Connie.  He doesn't bite him or bark at him either.  He fits in very well into Connie's life.

I'd not known about familiar's and then to find out that it could be a dog was a bit intriguing.  I always thought it was always a cat.  That cats were associated with witches and witches were bad therefore cats were bad.  I guess there goes that theory.

I understand we have to respect other's opinion but I think Arlo deserves a not so simple discussion. Dogs, like cats, are kinds of characters that appear so many times in literature. I think even a simple nail on the wall is something important to a story. I remember this when I read a story by Leo Tolstoi called "Polikushka". Here in Brazil it was translated as "The hanging man" which was a damage to the story because anticipated the end of the narrative. Initially, the story looked fool and with no importance for me. But as I read I saw the important of the spaceand its details to development of the story. As one of my rememberances of this book there was a detail of a rope near a cradle. I couldn't understand in that moment the importance of that object but soon I realized it was the rope used by hanging man to commit suicide. The rope was there in some moments of the story,and had a fundamental importance to the development of the narrative.

The same happens to Arlo and the garden of Connie's granna's house. Try to notice the importance and the secrets which are hidden behind each plant of it. Discover the secrets of a book reading it between the lines.Try not to forget: "Every discourse has an intention".

Message Edited by marciliogq on 04-30-2009 03:31 PM
Message Edited by marciliogq on 04-30-2009 03:31 PM