Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Hi all,

 

I'm currently finishing up Literacy and longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufmann and karen mack - definately chick lit at its finest.

I hope to zip through Dewey by Vicki Myron and Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf before Deliverance Dane is ah well......delivered :smileywink:

Also listening to The Intuitionist by a certain author named Colson Whitehead.  So different from Sag Harbor.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Barbara Taylor Bradford."The Ravenscar Dynasty" Claire messud"The Emperor's children...Between finishing my painting
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


Vermontcozy wrote:
Barbara Taylor Bradford."The Ravenscar Dynasty" Claire messud"The Emperor's children...Between finishing my painting

How did you like The Ravenscar Dynasty? I have read her other series "A woman of substance,emma's secret,and all the others. I have the Ravenscar books, three of them but havent started reading them yet? Thanks.

Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I am reading the last wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson. This is a good read. I have read all of Phillippa Gregory aboutt the wives of King Henry VIII and another one by Carolly Erickson, Secret Life of Josaphine. I was swept overboard with curiousrity about all the wives and murder of them by the bad king King Henry the VIII.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

i have read all of her books as well,The Ravenscar Dynasty is wonderful..getting lost in all her books,thats the best..its a dfferent sort of series,but as you know BTB reels you in and one is hooked,I will be finished soon,and then I will buy the others...Did you go on Mashups yet? VTc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I had to put Loving Frank and Come Back down to begin Madness... for my book group which meets next week. There was confusion on the book that was decided so I was waiting to hear and you know, "the wife is the last one to find out," so I had to scurry!

What I read so far has held my interest and actually made me want to continue to read. I hated to put it down, even temporarily. No one that I know disliked Loving Frank so I think that speaks well of it. I will let you know more after I finish it, if you like, or when you read it, we can discuss it together in a pm.

twj


blkeyesuzi wrote:


thewanderingjew wrote:

Reading:

Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach: Laurence Leamer:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back: Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine:

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

 

Just finished Sag Harbor, Story of a Marriage, The Lazarus Project, The Border of Truth


I have Loving Frank in my TBR pile.  I hear it's a great read.  I'd love to hear what you think of it.


 

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


thewanderingjew wrote:

I had to put Loving Frank and Come Back down to begin Madness... for my book group which meets next week. There was confusion on the book that was decided so I was waiting to hear and you know, "the wife is the last one to find out," so I had to scurry!

What I read so far has held my interest and actually made me want to continue to read. I hated to put it down, even temporarily. No one that I know disliked Loving Frank so I think that speaks well of it. I will let you know more after I finish it, if you like, or when you read it, we can discuss it together in a pm.

twj


blkeyesuzi wrote:


thewanderingjew wrote:

Reading:

Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach: Laurence Leamer:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back: Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine:

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

 

Just finished Sag Harbor, Story of a Marriage, The Lazarus Project, The Border of Truth


I have Loving Frank in my TBR pile.  I hear it's a great read.  I'd love to hear what you think of it.


 


I'd like that!  Let me know when you start it back up.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?


kiakar wrote:
I am reading the last wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson. This is a good read. I have read all of Phillippa Gregory aboutt the wives of King Henry VIII and another one by Carolly Erickson, Secret Life of Josaphine. I was swept overboard with curiousrity about all the wives and murder of them by the bad king King Henry the VIII.

 

Kiakar,

 

Have you read The Autobiography of Henry VIII, by Margaret George? An excellent historical fiction novel if you are into that period.  She also wrote The Memoirs of Cleopatra which was also wonderful.  Even though these books are historical "fiction," her research and historical accuracy make the novels even more intriguing!

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I finished Dog On It today and loved it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I started The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. It already has my attention.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Patrick Taylor, An Irish Country Doctor.  A light, fun read, not my usual stuff but enjoyable enough. 

 

Am re-reading Dickens Old Curiousity Shop for the Classics board, am about half-way through a slow reading of the complete poems of Robert Frost, am also in a carefully slow re-reading (after nearly fifty years) of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics (I've decided finally to tackle the ten year reading plan of the Great Books of the Western World series), am in Volume 2 of E.V. Lucas's Life of Charles Lamb, and am trying to find time to  re-read the Inferno for the Epics board and Death Comes for the Archbishop for the Literature by Women board -- both are waiting on my reading table, but last night they got put aside again, this time while I browsed Poems by e e cummings. 

 

Yeah, I know.  I read too many books at once.  But that's how I keep my interests active.  

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?


Thayer wrote:

kiakar wrote:
I am reading the last wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson. This is a good read. I have read all of Phillippa Gregory aboutt the wives of King Henry VIII and another one by Carolly Erickson, Secret Life of Josaphine. I was swept overboard with curiousrity about all the wives and murder of them by the bad king King Henry the VIII.

 

Kiakar,

 

Have you read The Autobiography of Henry VIII, by Margaret George? An excellent historical fiction novel if you are into that period.  She also wrote The Memoirs of Cleopatra which was also wonderful.  Even though these books are historical "fiction," her research and historical accuracy make the novels even more intriguing!


Thanks  Thayer;  I will put them on my list. I love novels about past history especially English history about queens and so forth. And the cleopatra one sounds good also. I mostly have read Phillippa Gregory'snovels about the Henry th e eighth history. I loved all of them.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-30-2009

Re: What are you reading?

Thanks Debbie, I did go check out the reviews and it looks good. I will put it on my TBR list. This book club is definately helpful. I've never had this kind of discussion before and am really enjoying it.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,839
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Don't Look Twice by Andrew Gross, he has co-authored several books w/James Patterson, but he is an awesome writer in his own right. This is the second of his books with Detective Ty Hauck. I couldn't put it down, if you like a great crime mystery with unforgettable characters, pick it up.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?

Rats, chucked aside for cummings :smileywink:


Everyman wrote:

trying to find time to  re-read the Inferno for the Epics board and Death Comes for the Archbishop for the Literature by Women board -- both are waiting on my reading table, but last night they got put aside again, this time while I browsed Poems by e e cummings. 

 

Yeah, I know.  I read too many books at once.  But that's how I keep my interests active.  


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Confirmation

Hey all,

 

I just got my confirmation that I will indeed get a book.  Yay - I'm so excited.  I can't wait to get it and start reading.  I have to drive to Buffalo to pick it up, so please post when you receive yours so that I know when to head that way.

 

Off to finish Lady Audley's Secret.......

 

Cheers,

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

 

Just wondering what everyone is reading while you wait for The Physick Book to arrive?

 

I'm reading Lady Audley's Secret by Braddon.

 

Cheers,

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 03-12-2009 05:27 PM

I'm reading The Language of Bees, by Laurie R King. It's great so far!

Sarita Li
Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sorting messages

I have done each First Look plus other discussions, and I did not know this.  Hmmmm, what does that say about me.  I'm going totry the threaded format this time. 

 

thanks

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎10-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


Shadowwolf36 wrote:
I am reading "Second Glance" by Jodi Picoult for my IRL book club which meets next Tuesday and also have "For a Few Demons More" by Kim Harrison going on my Sony Ebook, "The Eights" by Kathrine Neville on Audio Book and "Raintree:Inferno" by Linda Howard going on my ITouch....slight reading addiction.

Let me know how you like "Second Glance" because I wanted to read that.  I think Jodi Picoult is a great author and I love her books.  I have read "Nineteen Minutes" and "Change of Heart".

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎10-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am currently reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski.  I started reading it before the "Sag Harbor" First Look but didn't get a chance to get that far into it.  I am hoping to finish it before this one starts.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

 

Just wondering what everyone is reading while you wait for The Physick Book to arrive?

 

I'm reading Lady Audley's Secret by Braddon.

 

Cheers,

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 03-12-2009 05:27 PM

I'm reading "No Angel" by Penny Vincenzi and also "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

 

No Angel 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Road  

 

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs