Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Tarri wrote:
I'm just ignoring the add tags but anytime you want to give me a laurel . . .

...And I am trying to figure the purpose of laurels.  To make people feel good about themselves? :smileywink:
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Absolutely!  I'm here in the first place to learn from others, secondly to see things in a different light all while keeping an open mind.  The main point is it should be an insightful post, clear and well thought out and respectful of others.  Like yours and mine!!:smileywink:

Laurels please, laurels please.

Everyman wrote:

I'm curious about something.  Have you (the genric poster you, not any particular individual) every given a Laurel to a post which expressed a point of view you disagreed with but which was well argued and logically presented? 

Or are the Laurels mostly an "I agree with what you said" procedure?  

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 03-21-2009 08:22 PM

Makes perfect sense to me now! A laurel for you!:smileyhappy:
-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: More on the Salem Witch Trials

ponie wrote:

Anyone read The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare? 

OH yeah.  I have a couple of copies in my classroom library.  I try to encourage my students to read for pleasure.  But their reading levels are so low, it doesn't make reading fun for them.

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

Re: What are you reading?

SamanthaH,

I read Year of Wonders and loved it; I found it historically fascinating (I suppose Brooks's journalism background might contribute to the quality of her historical research) and really compelling as a story. It's about one of the plague years in England and the actions of the inhabitants of one town to reduce their danger to the country. If you get into the plague, you might also try DeFoe's A Journal of the Plague Year, which is set in London, and MARVELOUS (much better than Robinson Crusoe, in my opinion).

SamanthaH wrote:

I am also supposed to be reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks for my offline book club, but haven't even gotten around to buying the book!

-SKH

Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

I love my knitting group. I would say if you want to find one in your area call a Local Yarn Shop, they should be able to tell you what groups are available in your area.

The big craft stores, like JoAnns and Micheals, usually have classes, but I don't know if they'd know about groups. 

-Jennifer

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

Jennmarie68 wrote:

I love my knitting group. I would say if you want to find one in your area call a Local Yarn Shop, they should be able to tell you what groups are available in your area.

The big craft stores, like JoAnns and Micheals, usually have classes, but I don't know if they'd know about groups. 

-Jennifer

I knit with a small group of women at a Panera not far from my home.  (I'm in MN.)  A knitting teacher/expert (we call her the Knitting Goddess) is there from 10AM to 6PM one day a week and knitters come and pay $20 for 2 hours.  I have knitted things under her watchful eye that I could never have attempted or completed on my own.  We knit, we chat, we eat!  It's quite fun.  I have also seen groups of knitters in a local Caribou.
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

A question...or 2

Since I have no book [SIGH] thus time on my hands waiting [double SIGH] I am trying to use my time wisely rather than just moping around and grumbling that I have no book yet when it seems that everyone but me does [triple SIGH and one small tear].  I am still hanging on to hope thanks to Vermontcozy's crystal ball reading - done in a darkened room- that the book will arrive today. 

So in the meantime  I am curious about some of this process.  What makes one a contributor, inspired scribe, correspondent, reader, etc?  Is it the number of posts?  Did I check a box somewhere and I've forgotten?

Also I see one poster can send a private message to another poster.  Did I need to check a box saying that is OK?  Because when I look at my profile (the place it takes me when I click on the poster's name) that is not an option but I see the option on other's profiles. 

ponie
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

ponie-  I think that it  has to do with the actual number of posts you have made. I am not sure if laurels play into that or not.

-waiting not so paitiently for UPS, although it is my own fault because I was late in signing.

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..To access your Private Messages ,on the BN page below the bookshelf,right under the Boards,Comm,Rm,Announments,etc  You will see an Envelope Click on that envelope.You can also send PM to a BN friend from their profile page...Just make sure you have the exact name of BN Friend to send them PM from your PM page..I also find it helpful to add that person to Friends,you will see that option On you Private Message.Page..There is a "Time out" factor..so type quickly,or just a short msg,then you will be ok...Good Luck......THEY ARE REALLY PRIVATE..NO WORRY I HOPE I EXPLAINED IT WELL...i DIDN'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHEN I FIRST STARTED..SO MANY "hELPERS" WERE THERE FOR ME,THANK GOODNESS...VTC
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

ponie-  I think that it  has to do with the actual number of posts you have made. I am not sure if laurels play into that or not.

-waiting not so paitiently for UPS, although it is my own fault because I was late in signing.

I don't think it matters - late or early.  I signed up early but have no book.  (I know there are others as well still without books - at least I hope it is not just me.)  My friend signed up late and already has her book.  AND has already started reading it.  I'm working on not being totally jealous!!!  Don't want to burn any bridges in case (heaven forbid) I don't get my book because then I will have to beg to read hers!!!
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi..To access your Private Messages ,on the BN page below the bookshelf,right under the Boards,Comm,Rm,Announments,etc  You will see an Envelope Click on that envelope.You can also send PM to a BN friend from their profile page...Just make sure you have the exact name of BN Friend to send them PM from your PM page..I also find it helpful to add that person to Friends,you will see that option On you Private Message.Page..There is a "Time out" factor..so type quickly,or just a short msg,then you will be ok...Good Luck......THEY ARE REALLY PRIVATE..NO WORRY I HOPE I EXPLAINED IT WELL...i DIDN'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHEN I FIRST STARTED..SO MANY "hELPERS" WERE THERE FOR ME,THANK GOODNESS...VTC

Thanks vermontcozy!  I noticed how helpful you were during the Sag Harbor FL.  I didn't post much because it was overwhelming and a bit intimidating.  But I read them all.  Now, this time I am on the direct receiving end of your helpfulness...crystal ball and all!!!! :smileywink: Thanks again.:smileyvery-happy:
ponie
Reader 2
maylou
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

A question...or 2

Since I have no book [SIGH] thus time on my hands waiting [double SIGH] I am trying to use my time wisely rather than just moping around and grumbling that I have no book yet when it seems that everyone but me does [triple SIGH and one small tear].  I am still hanging on to hope thanks to Vermontcozy's crystal ball reading - done in a darkened room- that the book will arrive today. 

So in the meantime  I am curious about some of this process.  What makes one a contributor, inspired scribe, correspondent, reader, etc?  Is it the number of posts?  Did I check a box somewhere and I've forgotten?

Also I see one poster can send a private message to another poster.  Did I need to check a box saying that is OK?  Because when I look at my profile (the place it takes me when I click on the poster's name) that is not an option but I see the option on other's profiles. 

Great job of not moping and grumbling!

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

maylou wrote:

ponie wrote:

A question...or 2

Great job of not moping and grumbling!

YaaHoo and Whoopieeeeee! Yippieeeee and Hallelujah! My moping and grumbling days are over! :smileyvery-happy: My mood is vastly improved, the clouds have parted, the birds are singing, bells are ringing...OK to the point...TPBODD was just delivered to me by the nicest UPS guy named Dave who humored me by listening to my saga about not so patiently waiting for his arrival.  He now knows probably more than he ever wanted to know about this online book club/ARC deal.

The cover is very cool.  Finally I get to see it for myself after reading about it for days now.

Vermontcozy, you and your crystal ball were right!!  Now I guess we have to discuss your reading fee!!!!!

But for now I am off to read.....looking forward to Monday!

ponie
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Spirits were Right!!!! Isn't the book pretty and the flap is good for a bookmark..Will look for your posts,I amsure you will have much to say,if I don't see your post in the first week,I'll pm you..sometimes the PM can be slow,but I will try..Happy Reading
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

Claudia

ClaudiaLuce,

How do you like The Mermaid Chair?  I read that book and loved it.  If you like Sue Monk Kidd you may like another book by her The Secret Life of Bees which is also now a movie.

Both of those books were great, but the best book by her I think is a NF called The Dance of the Dissident Daughter. It was wonderful!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Well, I had just about given up hope and was complaining to my husband, the eternal optimist, that my book was just never going to come, when my doorbell rang! Sitting beside the door, all by its lonesome, with no one in sight, was my book! Hooray for small miracles; it made it to Florida! This time it didn't come by regular mail, it came with Brown, UPS. US mail has been faster in the past, I must admit, but as long is it arrived, I am grateful and besides myself with glee, just like a kid again!

And now to read....

twj

DebsScott

Laurels

liisa22 wrote:

Tarri wrote:

...And I am trying to figure the purpose of laurels.  To make people feel good about themselves? :smileywink:

Well, I for one am going to admit that it gives me just a little tingle and a grin to see someone give ME a laurel.  Makes me feel like maybe I've helped someone or made someone laugh.  So, you know, don't hesitate on my part! :smileyvery-happy:
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Laurels

DebsScott wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Tarri wrote:

Well, I for one am going to admit that it gives me just a little tingle and a grin to see someone give ME a laurel.  Makes me feel like maybe I've helped someone or made someone laugh.  So, you know, don't hesitate on my part! :smileyvery-happy:

Amen Sister!  I like the laurels and the responses to my comments or questions I pose.  I so appreciate all the help from "those who know" about navigating this site.  I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun.  Looking forward to the discussions Monday.
ponie
chris227
0 Kudos

The Secret Life of Bees was great!  The Mermaid Chair is in my to be read pile so I'm interested in how you like it too.

bookloverjb85 wrote:

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

Claudia

ClaudiaLuce,

How do you like The Mermaid Chair?  I read that book and loved it.  If you like Sue Monk Kidd you may like another book by her The Secret Life of Bees which is also now a movie.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I thought Year of Wonders was a great read. I haven't gotten to any of her others yet, but am meaning to.

krb2g wrote:
SamanthaH,
I read Year of Wonders and loved it; I found it historically fascinating (I suppose Brooks's journalism background might contribute to the quality of her historical research) and really compelling as a story. It's about one of the plague years in England and the actions of the inhabitants of one town to reduce their danger to the country. If you get into the plague, you might also try DeFoe's A Journal of the Plague Year, which is set in London, and MARVELOUS (much better than Robinson Crusoe, in my opinion).

SamanthaH wrote:

I am also supposed to be reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks for my offline book club, but haven't even gotten around to buying the book!

-SKH

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com