Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Heretic's Daughter

debbook wrote:
Has anyone read this yet? I'm thinking of reading it next.The Heretic's Daughter  

Some earlier posts (somewhere) referenced this book as well.  I put it on reserve at my library.

ponie
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I read The Heretic's Daughter, and I loved it.  I have also read The Lace Reader ( I actually read that prior to The Heretic's Daughter)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

nlsamson wrote:

I read The Heretic's Daughter, and I loved it.  I have also read The Lace Reader ( I actually read that prior to The Heretic's Daughter)

I also recently read The Lace Reader.  I liked it a lot too.
ponie
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thanks Aprilh for the link.  I especially liked the time-line events.  Now more than ever before I want to visit Salem in the Autumn.   :smileywink:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

I have both THE HERETICS DAUGHTER  and THE LACE READER on my TBR stack.  I would recommend SUSANNAH MORROW by Megan Chance as another book dealing with The Salem Witch Trials.  It refers to the Rev. Parris and the girls which are mentioned in our current book,  THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DARE.:smileytongue:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

crimekitty763 wrote:
I have both THE HERETICS DAUGHTER  and THE LACE READER on my TBR stack.  I would recommend SUSANNAH MORROW by Megan Chance as another book dealing with The Salem Witch Trials.  It refers to the Rev. Parris and the girls which are mentioned in our current book,  THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DARE.:smileytongue:

I am going to request Susannah Morrow from the library as soon as I sign out.  The Heretic's Daughter is waiting for me to pick up and I recently read The Lace Runner.  I read The Crucible last weekend and am now into TPBODD.  Do we notice a theme???:smileyvery-happy: 
ponie
Scribe
debbook

Re: Community Room

You won't sound dense at all. I know I'm posting similiar to others, but it is hard to get through all the posts, there are so many new ones each day. Just post what you want and don't worry:smileyhappy:

EbonyAngel wrote:
I've been reading the book so much, I've gotten behind in my posting and reading the postings.  At the rate I'm going, every thing I want to say will have already been said and then I'll sound really dense with, "I agree with that", through the whole discussion.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Thanks. I read The Lace Reader when it first came out. So I gues it's time for The Heretic's Daughter. I'm not sure who posted it, but they are right, there is a theme going!

nlsamson wrote:

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

The Heretic's Daughter is in my TBR pile and my experience with TPBODD is making me want to dive right into that selection next!  I'd be up to "comparing notes" on THD via PM if anyone is interested!

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

You can just start a thread in the community room, or even the Fiction Board if it's okay with the moderator to discuss the book.

januttall wrote:

The Heretic's Daughter is in my TBR pile and my experience with TPBODD is making me want to dive right into that selection next!  I'd be up to "comparing notes" on THD via PM if anyone is interested!

Scribe
DSaff

Kate Morton's new book

[ Edited ]

For those of you who read The House at Riverton (our first FL selection), Kate Morton has a new book coming out this week! (link below) I have already pre-ordered mine and can't wait for it to come.  For those of you who haven't read The House at Riverton, consider putting it on your TBR list. The First Look opportunity has certainly introduced me to new authors and writing styles. I am already anticipating Katherine Howe's next book. Thank you B&N!

The Forgotten Garden by Morton Morton: Book Cover
The Forgotten Garden

Message Edited by DSaff on 04-04-2009 08:19 AM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Re: Kate Morton's new book

DSaff wrote:

For those of you who read The House at Riverton (our first FL selection), Kate Morton has a new book coming out this week! (link below) I have already pre-ordered mine and can't wait for it to come.  For those of you who haven't read The House at Riverton, consider putting it on your TBR list. The First Look opportunity has certainly introduced me to new authors and writing styles. I am already anticipating Katherine Howe's next book. Thank you B&N!

The Forgotten Garden

Thank you for the recommendation!  I've added The House at Riverton to my wish list.

I've got a GC for B&N, now I just need to narrow down which book(s) I want to get NOW!

Has anyone read The Vanishing Point by Mary Sharratt?  It caught my eye on a book review blog I follow.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Donna! I enjoyed The House at Riverton. I will certainly check out Kate Morton's new book. Lauren Groff, another of the first First Look authors, had a new book this year, Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories - Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories  

I was not a fan of her first book, The Monsters of Templeton but, thought others might be interested in her new book.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

The Forgotten Garden

Message Edited by CathyB on 04-04-2009 09:32 AM
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
Has anyone read this yet? I'm thinking of reading it next.The Heretic's Daughter  

Yes, I read it with my book club a few months ago.  We all enjoyed the book and had a great discussion. I would definitely recommend reading it.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thanks, CathyB. I enjoyed "Monsters," and will look up this book as well.  :smileyhappy:

CathyB wrote:

Thanks Donna! I enjoyed The House at Riverton. I will certainly check out Kate Morton's new book. Lauren Groff, another of the first First Look authors, had a new book this year, Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories - Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories  

I was not a fan of her first book, The Monsters of Templeton but, thought others might be interested in her new book.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

The Forgotten Garden

Message Edited by CathyB on 04-04-2009 09:32 AM

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I haven't read it, januttall, but it looks good. It has been added to my wish list.  LOL

januttall wrote:

DSaff wrote:

The Forgotten Garden

Thank you for the recommendation!  I've added The House at Riverton to my wish list.

I've got a GC for B&N, now I just need to narrow down which book(s) I want to get NOW!

Has anyone read The Vanishing Point by Mary Sharratt?  It caught my eye on a book review blog I follow.

Scribe
debbook

I started it last night (that's one of the things I love about my Kindle, if I want a cetain book at midnight, I can order it and start reading immediately) and I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep.

I finished Deliverance, or I would have been up devouring that.

jabrkeKB wrote:

debbook wrote:

Yes, I read it with my book club a few months ago.  We all enjoyed the book and had a great discussion. I would definitely recommend reading it.

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

debbook:

So, what do you think of Heretics Daughter so far?

Nancy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Unconnected and random perhaps

This maybe totally unconnected and quite random (Yes! I have ADD!:smileyvery-happy:) but this is The Community Room so I hope I am not commiting some huge faux pas.  And there's a bit of a lull in the usual posting frenzy.

The only connection I can "use" to avoid the possible wrath of the posting police :smileytongue: is that it's about dogs, lovers of dogs, and Arlo is a dog in TPBODD (smooth huh?) and has a special relationship with Connie. 

This may not be your genre of choice but has anyone read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein?  Denny and Enzo certainly have a special relationship as do Bernie and Chet in Dog On It by Spencer Quinn.

Also a parallel in The Art of Racing in the Rain, Denny is falsely accused and suffers great loss because of it. (I'll say no more in case you want to check it out.)

And just to be fair to the cat lovers, I loved Dewey!!!:smileyhappy:

And I did get The Heretic's Daughter today from the library and The Crucible from Hollywood Video.  Will be watching it tonight.  Read the book last weekend.  Continuing to read TPBODD.  I have read ahead so I will have to be conscientious when I post; keeping to the schedule.  

Just want to say I appreciate people posting and commenting about the books they have read and enjoyed or not.  Thanks for sharing.:smileyhappy:

ponie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Unconnected and random perhaps

I have read both The Art of Racing in the Rain (very poignant)and Dog On It (fun mystery)and loved them both! It was fun to read from the dog's perspectives. I also have a cat loving friend who loved Dewey and that is on my TBR list. :smileywink:

ponie wrote:

This maybe totally unconnected and quite random (Yes! I have ADD!:smileyvery-happy:) but this is The Community Room so I hope I am not commiting some huge faux pas.  And there's a bit of a lull in the usual posting frenzy.

The only connection I can "use" to avoid the possible wrath of the posting police :smileytongue: is that it's about dogs, lovers of dogs, and Arlo is a dog in TPBODD (smooth huh?) and has a special relationship with Connie. 

This may not be your genre of choice but has anyone read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein?  Denny and Enzo certainly have a special relationship as do Bernie and Chet in Dog On It by Spencer Quinn.

Also a parallel in The Art of Racing in the Rain, Denny is falsely accused and suffers great loss because of it. (I'll say no more in case you want to check it out.)

And just to be fair to the cat lovers, I loved Dewey!!!:smileyhappy:

And I did get The Heretic's Daughter today from the library and The Crucible from Hollywood Video.  Will be watching it tonight.  Read the book last weekend.  Continuing to read TPBODD.  I have read ahead so I will have to be conscientious when I post; keeping to the schedule.  

Just want to say I appreciate people posting and commenting about the books they have read and enjoyed or not.  Thanks for sharing.:smileyhappy: