Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: as things come to a close...

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi,Totally unrelated..I read Sara Gruen's "Riding Lessons"really enjoyed it,my daughters friend just finished "Flying Changes..so when she is finised,I will read it..Water for Elephants  read alittle about it,sounds very good Thank for the Rec.....ttys...V

Will add these to my TBR list!!!  So many books, so little bedtime!!!
ponie
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Ponie..How did you like Dorathea Benton Frank? I forgot which one you read..V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:
Totally unrelated (again!) but if you liked Water for Elephants read Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond.  I read it over the weekend.  Lovely, delightful, poignant; I really liked it.

I loved Water for Elephants.  It was a great book.  I will look for Hannah's Dream.

Thanks for the suggestion.

MG

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Sullivan's Island...and I liked it.
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi,Totally unrelated..I read Sara Gruen's "Riding Lessons"really enjoyed it,my daughters friend just finished "Flying Changes..so when she is finised,I will read it..Water for Elephants  read alittle about it,sounds very good Thank for the Rec.....ttys...V

BTW I put these on reserve at my local library...they sound good. 
ponie
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Re: Unconnected and random perhaps

biljounc63 wrote:

Do you give up on on a book if you don't like it? I for one will continue a book even if I don't like it. It does take me a while to finish it though. I feel that I owe it to myself to finish it.

I'm currently reading Isle of Dogs that falls into the "I don't like it" category I only have to more chapters to read before I say good riddance to it!

It's terrible to go on a book if you don't like it. But I try to read it even if I get ten years doing it lol. Answering previous questions about First Looks I loved some of them I had the opportunity to read. "Songs for the missing" I didn't finish but it looks a very interesting book. "The Believers" was a nice reading for me and I recommend it. "A fortunate Age" was a bit hard to read because of the detailist and fragmented writing. "Sag Harbor" was also a bit hard to read because of the vocabulary and the uncentered plot."Physick book of Deliverance Dane" was one of the best surprises I had after two autobiographical books. The best thing in all of them is the opportunity to discussion and getting rich information about details we sometimes don't pay any attention.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

I have a small dilemma. I enjoyed the opportunity to read this book. Enjoyed following along reading the discussions. But I was sick and ended up starting it late. I did not like the book. Kept my posts to a minimum simply because everyone else was so LOVING it, and I wasn't. And there was just so many "oh this is so wonderful" posts. So my dilemma is this, should I post a review being the one voice of skip this book?

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

I have a small dilemma. I enjoyed the opportunity to read this book. Enjoyed following along reading the discussions. But I was sick and ended up starting it late. I did not like the book. Kept my posts to a minimum simply because everyone else was so LOVING it, and I wasn't. And there was just so many "oh this is so wonderful" posts. So my dilemma is this, should I post a review being the one voice of skip this book?

TiggerBear:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion/thoughts. For that reason and that reason alone, I believe that you should post your review.

CathyB

dhaupt
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well Tig, I don't see a dilemma at all, just post what you thought. We can't all like every read, plus you are not alone out there, there were a few other members who didn't like the book.
If we all liked the same things it would be a pretty boring world, right. 

Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I know that it is hard to voice an opinion that goes against the flow. But I tend to be one of those types myself and would enjoy a companion. Maybe that will give me even more courage to join the dissenters when I feel the same way.. 
Jo
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I agree, I just don't like kicking sand at the beach picnick if you know what I mean.

I wanted to run it up the flag pole, first at least. Never hurts to be polite, especially when it's a free book.

pen21
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Please post your opinion. We need all points of views.

I did like the book. But it did seem that some must be holding back their opinions.

I look forward to reading opinions that varied from my own.

It makes the book so much more interesting when you can have a lively discussion.

Thanks for speaking up.

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

I agree...if we don't feel we have the freedom to say NO (we didn't like the book) then our YES (we did like the book) means nothing.
ponie
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I just saw your post..I imagine you are a very candid person..with that said..I believe you should review and post it,its really in the readers interest to read all reviews from different points of view...We support you.....Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I think everyone has a right to an opinion so post away.
"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I had this problem with an earlier book. I didn't care for the book, but kept my opinion to myself because everyone else loved it. I realize now that was not the right thing to do. Not everyone has the same taste in reading. If there are no reviews taking a opposing point of view, we don't get a clear picture of the book. I appreciate reviews that say "I didn't like the book because..." Then I can make me own opinion.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

You should definitely post a review of what you really thought of the book. I for one like to read what others thought of a book before I buy it. That's a real advantage to buying books online. You can read what people honestly thought whether they liked it or not. Those who don't like a certain book, I like to hear why they felt that way: they didn't like the plot, style of writing, etc. That way if I feel I would have a problem with those areas of the book as well, I know not to waste my time. And if I feel that I would be okay with those things I go ahead and buy it, no matter what the reviews were. Hope this helps!
April
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

You should post your review! I think it is important for all voices to be heard, and as long as they are reasonable and well thought out, I will listen. I think others will too.

TiggerBear wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

You should post your review! I think it is important for all voices to be heard, and as long as they are reasonable and well thought out, I will listen. I think others will too.

TiggerBear wrote:

I think, as participants of this club, it is our responsibility to post our review. There is a reason the review system goes from 0 to 5 stars. Just as professional book critics vary-so too do our opinions differ. Viva la difference!  So I say please post your review, and who knows, next time it could be any of us who just aren't that into the book.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Sullivan's Island...and I liked it.

Did you see that Return to Sullivan's Island is coming out in June?  I also enjoyed Bull's Island, check that out if you get a chance.  Jo