Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

ponie, your rank is determined by many factors- posting, reading posts ( some people post but don't read other's posts), giving laurels, getting laurels, starting threads and using tags.

ponie wrote:

A question...or 2

Since I have no book [SIGH] thus time on my hands waiting [double SIGH] I am trying to use my time wisely rather than just moping around and grumbling that I have no book yet when it seems that everyone but me does [triple SIGH and one small tear].  I am still hanging on to hope thanks to Vermontcozy's crystal ball reading - done in a darkened room- that the book will arrive today. 

So in the meantime  I am curious about some of this process.  What makes one a contributor, inspired scribe, correspondent, reader, etc?  Is it the number of posts?  Did I check a box somewhere and I've forgotten?

Also I see one poster can send a private message to another poster.  Did I need to check a box saying that is OK?  Because when I look at my profile (the place it takes me when I click on the poster's name) that is not an option but I see the option on other's profiles. 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Correspondent
bibanon1
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Ho hum....still waiting appearance of book in California. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Well, I had just about given up hope and was complaining to my husband, the eternal optimist, that my book was just never going to come, when my doorbell rang! Sitting beside the door, all by its lonesome, with no one in sight, was my book! Hooray for small miracles; it made it to Florida! This time it didn't come by regular mail, it came with Brown, UPS. US mail has been faster in the past, I must admit, but as long is it arrived, I am grateful and besides myself with glee, just like a kid again!

And now to read....

twj

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

chris227 wrote:

The Secret Life of Bees was great!  The Mermaid Chair is in my to be read pile so I'm interested in how you like it too.

bookloverjb85 wrote:

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

Claudia

ClaudiaLuce,

How do you like The Mermaid Chair?  I read that book and loved it.  If you like Sue Monk Kidd you may like another book by her The Secret Life of Bees which is also now a movie.

I liked The Mermaid chair a lot.  Same with The Secret Life of Bees.  I haven't seen the movie.  And speaking of movies, The Number One Ladies Detective agency premier is Sunday night on HBO.

I'm picking up The Crucible from the library tomorrow.  Will be my first time reading it.  Apparently "those who know" have strongly suggested it as a companion read during this journey. 

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

debbook wrote:
ponie, your rank is determined by many factors- posting, reading posts ( some people post but don't read other's posts), giving laurels, getting laurels, starting threads and using tags.

ponie wrote:

A question...or 2

Since I have no book [SIGH] thus time on my hands waiting [double SIGH] I am trying to use my time wisely rather than just moping around and grumbling that I have no book yet when it seems that everyone but me does [triple SIGH and one small tear].  I am still hanging on to hope thanks to Vermontcozy's crystal ball reading - done in a darkened room- that the book will arrive today. 

So in the meantime  I am curious about some of this process.  What makes one a contributor, inspired scribe, correspondent, reader, etc?  Is it the number of posts?  Did I check a box somewhere and I've forgotten?

Also I see one poster can send a private message to another poster.  Did I need to check a box saying that is OK?  Because when I look at my profile (the place it takes me when I click on the poster's name) that is not an option but I see the option on other's profiles. 

Thanks for the explanation...my next learning opportunity will be understanding and using tags!  I am clueless.

Also with the help of SamathaH I figured out why there is no send a private/personal message on my profile - because I wouldn't be sending myself a private/personal message!!!  DUH!  OK, I get that now. :smileyhappy:

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

bibanon1 wrote:

Ho hum....still waiting appearance of book in California. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Well, I had just about given up hope and was complaining to my husband, the eternal optimist, that my book was just never going to come, when my doorbell rang! Sitting beside the door, all by its lonesome, with no one in sight, was my book! Hooray for small miracles; it made it to Florida! This time it didn't come by regular mail, it came with Brown, UPS. US mail has been faster in the past, I must admit, but as long is it arrived, I am grateful and besides myself with glee, just like a kid again!

And now to read....

twj

Seriously bibanon1 I know how you feel.  I got mine today but I was past ho-hum waiting;  I was depressed!!!  You still have time (it's earlier in CA  right?) so I hope this day ends on a good note for you.
ponie
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott

You know, I'm sitting here reading everyone's elation on receiving their book or their depression over not having it yet (my heart feels for you) and something occurred to me.  I am so happy to be among people who UNDERSTAND and SHARE my love for books.  There is no one around me that has the same absolute love for reading that I do (except for Thayer...:smileyhappy: ).  It's wonderful to be around people who don't think I'm totally nuts! 

Now, I can't wait for this discussion to begin!

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:

You know, I'm sitting here reading everyone's elation on receiving their book or their depression over not having it yet (my heart feels for you) and something occurred to me.  I am so happy to be among people who UNDERSTAND and SHARE my love for books.  There is no one around me that has the same absolute love for reading that I do (except for Thayer...:smileyhappy: ).  It's wonderful to be around people who don't think I'm totally nuts! 

Now, I can't wait for this discussion to begin!

Amen! No, really, this book waiting process is hard on a person!!!  I was bummed when my friend who signed up after me got her book 2 days before me and we only lives 3 miles apart.  I did email her today and told her I got my book and that I don't hate her any more!!! :smileyvery-happy: [truly a joke!!! no offense intended!]  So many books, never enough time!!!
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Hey SandyS

I brought this over from Introductions to The Community Room...a daring tecnological gamble...the font is awfully small as I type here....there is probably a better way tho I do not know it.  My other brother was living in Panama City (Regions Bank, just recently retired) and is in transition back to Pensacola and is living in our parents house (they took it off the market for now) on the intercoastal in Navarre.  Do I remember you saying you live in MTKA?

ponie wrote:
Where are you in Florida?  I am from Pensacola and my brother is in Stuart. 

Ponie,

I'm between Overstreet and Wewahitcha (east of Panama City) and will be returning to MN in May.

See you in the Community Room.

ponie
Contributor
SamanthaH
0 Kudos

I got my copy today! I am in the Seattle area, and I just signed up on Tuesday.  It was very fast for me...this book club is such a great program - I am pumped!

-SKH

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I am currently reading The Zookeeper's Wife (A War Story) by Diane Ackerman.  It's non-fiction, but reads so much like fiction I have a hard time remembering it's real!  The writing is beautiful, but it's a hard subject to read about (Nazi invaded Poland and the underground saving of lives).  I try to read one non-fiction book per month - I started doing it a few years ago as my new year's resolution to broaden my horizons and I've found I really enjoy all the different things I'm reading about and learning.  Generally, I read a book a week - a little slower now with the 6 week old baby added to the family.

I see a few people were talking about reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd - this book is on my all time worst book ever list; however, The Secret Life of Bees is on my all time favorite book list.  I read MC second and I was utterly disappointed.  I don't know if it's just me, or did anyone else who read both have these have the same opinion?

Becky in WI

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I did not care for  The Mermaid's Chair either.

I am in Washington, not that far from Seattle, I signed up on the first day and my book isn't here yet.  I am sad. 

Popper19 wrote:

*snip*

I see a few people were talking about reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd - this book is on my all time worst book ever list; however, The Secret Life of Bees is on my all time favorite book list.  I read MC second and I was utterly disappointed.  I don't know if it's just me, or did anyone else who read both have these have the same opinion?

Becky in WI

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
oops, double post
Message Edited by Tarri on 03-27-2009 08:57 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Well, I woke up early to get a little quite reading time in but the problem is I have to walk past the computer to get Deliverance Dane.  So I check in here and have been reading posts for the past 20 min!

Anywho-Call me the odd one out - I enjoyed The Mermaids Chair but hated Secret Life of Bees - I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about - One day I'll reread and maybe I'll finally get it. :smileysad:

Regarding the question about what era you'd like to live in.............I love castles too!  So medievel England or France would be my #1 choice - it's just the leeches and bloodletting that bothers me a bit.:womanmad:

O.k now I'll make a pot of coffee and start that quite read........happy reading!

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Hey Becky,

The Zookeeper's Wife is in my "to read" pile too!  I love your New Year's resolution.  I have found myself drawn to memoirs over the past year or so myself.  I try to read a few throughout the year.  Have you read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls?  I really enjoyed that one ('though it was also disturbing at times).  I just finished A Charmed Life: Growing Up in Macbeth's Castle by Liza Campbell for another book club and loved it as well. 

I have a toddler at home, so I know what you mean about not being able to read as much/so quickly.  SOOOOO many books, just not enough time!

Julie

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel

Keeping up

When I first get my book, I go to the discussion schedule and put a post-it at the top of the page for each section.  That way I can keep track of everything and not post any spoilers.  Anybody else do that?  I also put post-its on the side for interesting things or something I want to mention in a discussion.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Becky in WI

I totally agree with. I loved The Secret Life of Bees. Bought The Mermaid Chair with such high expectations and was very disappointed.

Scribe
DSaff

Re: Keeping up

Like you, I look up the discussion schedule, then I print is out putting the page numbers next to each section. I have participated in book clubs both ways (reading it all then discussing, and reading with the schedule), and hope to read this one with the schedule. While reading, I have a "Post-It" highlighter nearby, as well as a pen. I can highlight, write notes, and flag any parts I find interesting. I also list things I want to look up, and put the notes in the book. The highlights help me focus on parts I want to discuss and enable me to find my favorite quotes when we are done. I have always done this with my Bible and book discussion books, but find I am highlighting things in other books I read as well. It is becoming a habit. :smileywink:

EbonyAngel wrote:

When I first get my book, I go to the discussion schedule and put a post-it at the top of the page for each section.  That way I can keep track of everything and not post any spoilers.  Anybody else do that?  I also put post-its on the side for interesting things or something I want to mention in a discussion.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff

Interactive Site

I have tried to post this three times and hope it posts this time. I found this neat site this morning. It is the National Geographic: Salem Witch-Hunt Interactive

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/salem/

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

bookloverjb85 wrote:

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

Claudia

ClaudiaLuce,

How do you like The Mermaid Chair?  I read that book and loved it.  If you like Sue Monk Kidd you may like another book by her The Secret Life of Bees which is also now a movie.

Both of those books were great, but the best book by her I think is a NF called The Dance of the Dissident Daughter. It was wonderful!!!

I will have to get that one and read it.  I'm glad you liked that other two books too.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

januttall wrote:

Hey Becky,

The Zookeeper's Wife is in my "to read" pile too!  I love your New Year's resolution.  I have found myself drawn to memoirs over the past year or so myself.  I try to read a few throughout the year.  Have you read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls?  I really enjoyed that one ('though it was also disturbing at times).  I just finished A Charmed Life: Growing Up in Macbeth's Castle by Liza Campbell for another book club and loved it as well. 

I have a toddler at home, so I know what you mean about not being able to read as much/so quickly.  SOOOOO many books, just not enough time!

Julie

We read The Glass Castle in book club last year.  I too was disturbed by parts of it.  Also read Tales of a Female Nomad by Gelman.  Now there's a story of a woman who launched herself later in life!!!!  One's Soldier's Story by Robert J Dole was very good.  (Making no political statement)

The "plan" to read what I don't normally read - or something outside my comfort zone - has made it possible for me to love even more (kinds of) books than I do already.

SOOOOOO true: soooooo many books.... :smileyhappy:

ponie