Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]
True E-man but I want the power too (she says schemishly while kneeding her hands) yah ha ha ha ha.
Everyman wrote:

Actually, no, I haven't found them useful myself.  But if others do, more power to them.

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

This has been bothering me for awhile and I've been trying to work it through but I think I need help.

I just don't get Tags.  I just do not see the value in them.  What possible purpose do they serve (other than having the most and getting your name on the board)?

Has anyone else found them to be useful?:smileyindifferent:

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 03-18-2009 06:15 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

LOL, That's cute, Tarri!  For now I'll just tag you......you're it!?:womansurprised:
Tarri wrote:
I'm just ignoring the add tags but anytime you want to give me a laurel . . .

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I have King Solomon's Mines checked out from the library (but since I can now check out things indefinitely from my University library, it's in a stack of about two hundred other books, waiting to be read)--but I did read She (also by Haggard) in December, and really enjoyed it.

fordmg wrote:

I am reading a 19th century mystery classic - King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard.

Interesting, but takes a while to get used to the stilted language.  Still worth the read. 

MG

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

This has been bothering me for awhile and I've been trying to work it through but I think I need help.

I just don't get Tags.  I just do not see the value in them.  What possible purpose do they serve (other than having the most and getting your name on the board)?

Has anyone else found them to be useful?:smileyindifferent:

No you're not alone I thought I was addle brained to not be able to figure out why to use them. 

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will look him up.  I look for these older books in the used book store near me.

MG

Everyman wrote:

Definitely worth the read.  No a "great book" but a great adventure story.

If you like Haggard, you will probably also like John Buchan, particularly his Richard Hannay stories.

fordmg wrote:

I am reading a 19th century mystery classic - King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard.

Interesting, but takes a while to get used to the stilted language.  Still worth the read. 

MG

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Who is the author?  I will try to find it.

MG

Amanda-Louise wrote:

If you are enjoying that, you might really like Lady Audley's Secret - it's a 19th c. classic mystery and I'm so glad I came across it.  It's actually a really easy read as it was originally published as a serial.

Cheers,

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09

I finished Dog On It today and loved it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I started The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. It already has my attention.

DonnaS =)
“Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own.”
Charles Scribner, Jr

Donna, you'll have to let me know how you like The Shack.  I'm nearly finished and have loved it.  But a close friend wouldn't even finish it!  It's one of those!

Also recently read Nineteen Minutes, which was amazing.  Another I'm reading is Water and Salt, The Essence of Life.

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

Lady Audley's Secret is by Mary Elizabeth Braddon.

fordmg wrote:

MG

Amanda-Louise wrote:

If you are enjoying that, you might really like Lady Audley's Secret - it's a 19th c. classic mystery and I'm so glad I came across it.  It's actually a really easy read as it was originally published as a serial.

Cheers,

Amanda

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

I'm reading a Karen Kingsbury book, Just Beyond The Clouds...it's the 2nd book of the series "Cody Gunner". 

I'm also reading One Minute After You Die by Erwin W. Lutzer.

And I'm likely going to start a 3rd book that I just took out of the library...not sure which title I'll read.  I like to read different books at the same time. One is downstairs, one is on my nightstand and the other is in the car (lots of waiting time in the carpool lanes).

Linda

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I am loving it. It is very powerful, and is a tear-jerker, but well worth the read!

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

I finished Dog On It today and loved it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I started The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. It already has my attention.

DonnaS =)
“Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own.”
Charles Scribner, Jr

Donna, you'll have to let me know how you like The Shack.  I'm nearly finished and have loved it.  But a close friend wouldn't even finish it!  It's one of those!

Also recently read Nineteen Minutes, which was amazing.  Another I'm reading is Water and Salt, The Essence of Life.

Barb

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back: Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine.

This is the most extraordinary book, filled with insights, about drug addiction and recovery, sexual abuse., emotional and physcial abuse, self inflicted as well, that I have read. I recommend it to anyone who knows anyone who is experiencing this issue in any way, shape or form, in their lives or their friend's and family's. It can only help you understand their plight or your own. I have not finished it but I cannot put it down and am about 3/4's of the way through. I hope it continues to amaze me even as it breaks my heart reading about the pain and suffering. I am hoping that the ending shows the road to recovery is attainable. It certainly illuminates some of the many paths to dysfunctional and/or addictive behavior, very clearly.

twj

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

I just finished Sullivan's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank for my B&N onsite fiction book club and Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson for my B&N onsite mystery book club - both in Maple Grove, MN.  If you enjoy whodunnits check out Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt.  I am ready start The Physick Book...hopes it arrives soon.
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Also recently read The Romanov Bride (and some time back, The Kitchen Boy) and am looking forward to seeing Robert Alexander "live" at a local B&N tomorrow night!  I love listening to authors read "live" from their books.  Seems to make a difference when I read the book.  Anyone else have that experience?  I remember seeing/hearing Jodi Piccoult read from (and talk about all her research for) Change of Heart as well as Tana French reading from The Likeness and answering questions about herself and her writing process.  It adds another dimension to the book.
ponie
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

I would love to give you a laurel, but for some reason I can't anymore. I know there is a limit to the number you can give out. But I only gave out 5 and I've gotten at least 6. Shouldn't I be able to at least give out as many as I've gotten???
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

How did you like Sullivan's Island? Is it set in South Carolina? We're going on a trip to South Carolina this summer, and someone recommended reading Dorthea Benton Frank. Apparently many/all of her books are set there. I've never read anything by her......yet:-)

ponie wrote:
I just finished Sullivan's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank for my B&N onsite fiction book club and Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson for my B&N onsite mystery book club - both in Maple Grove, MN.  If you enjoy whodunnits check out Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt.  I am ready start The Physick Book...hopes it arrives soon.

Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

kren250 wrote:

How did you like Sullivan's Island? Is it set in South Carolina? We're going on a trip to South Carolina this summer, and someone recommended reading Dorthea Benton Frank. Apparently many/all of her books are set there. I've never read anything by her......yet:-)

Heykren250 - where in SC will you be going? I live in Columbia, 2 hours from the beach, but close enough to daytrip, which I'm looking forward to doing (we've only been here a few months).

If you want to read a fun author who writes about South Carolina, try Cathy Pickens...she writes "whodunits" that are fun and quick to read!

Linda

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Why am I getting notices to my private e-mail about messages on this board?

I don't recall changing my set up, but for the last two days I have been getting e-mails to my personal e-mail address announcing messages to this board.  I need to know how to turn these off.  I don't see the value in them.

MG

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Why am I getting notices to my private e-mail about messages on this board?

Hi.. If you posted on this board you are automatically subscribed.Go to  your Bookmarks and Subscription page and see if you can unscribe there..I hope it helps...V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

The author is Mary Elizabeth Braddon. 

Cheers,

Amanda

fordmg wrote:

MG

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Cheers,

Amanda