Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I liked Sullivan's Island but I like just about everything I read...just some of them more than others.  There were some in the book club that did not like the book.  It's set in Charleston.  There is something different about a true southern town; the history... 

Here's a line from the book about that.  "Charleston had given us the gift of knowing who we were, what we stood for and where we belonged.  That pride and confidence was our birthright."  I have lived in MN for over 30 years and I don't feel that "connection" with Minneapolis or the suburb I live in.  I am from the south - Pensacola, FL - but left when I was a teen, so no real deep connection there either!  I think it is a southern thing. 

Any thoughts on that???

Enjoy your time in SC this summer. =)

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

my previous post was in response to kren250... 

How did you like Sullivan's Island? Is it set in South Carolina? We're going on a trip to South Carolina this summer, and someone recommended reading Dorthea Benton Frank. Apparently many/all of her books are set there. I've never read anything by her......yet:-)

I don't know how to get it all in one post like some of you do...I'll learn.  =)

ponie
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

I currently only have three books going (unless you count Harry Potter as four...I ALWAYS have one of those books going).  They are:

1.  While waiting for my daughter to finally make her way out of the high school and through the throng of friends which usually takes thirty minutes...A Long Day's Journey Into War by Stanley Weintraub.  It's the story of December 7th, 1941 and the goings on around the world on that day.

2.  Light reading for going to bed...Enchanted by Nora Roberts.  Liam...wow.

3.  Because I'm a do-it-yourselfer and I don't want to have to REdo something after it's inspected...Stanley's Complete Book of Wiring.  I'm gonna have those lights wired to a switch before I'm finished!!!

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

This has been bothering me for awhile and I've been trying to work it through but I think I need help.

I just don't get Tags.  I just do not see the value in them.  What possible purpose do they serve (other than having the most and getting your name on the board)?

Has anyone else found them to be useful?:smileyindifferent:

Hi Everyone!

I agree, the Tags just don't seem to make sense.

I also need clarification about the Laurels - maybe it is because they are new and people are just testing them out - but, I read them all during Sag Harbor and I have been reading them for TPBoDD and I have not been able to find what was relevant about some of the posts.

Is the purpose highlight something relevant/worthwhile for others to read? Or, is it something else?

Thnx

Wordsmith
Tarri

I don't see myself using tags, but when I read something that I really agree with, or something that makes me think, I use the laurel.  It's just my way of saying I agree without posting and quoting the post. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

I'm curious about something.  Have you (the genric poster you, not any particular individual) every given a Laurel to a post which expressed a point of view you disagreed with but which was well argued and logically presented? 

Or are the Laurels mostly an "I agree with what you said" procedure?  

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

I'm curious about something.  Have you (the genric poster you, not any particular individual) every given a Laurel to a post which expressed a point of view you disagreed with but which was well argued and logically presented? 

Whatever the other responses to your post, this best explains what giving a laurel is, or perhaps is not, for me.  I'll be interested in what others say.
ponie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Interesting question, Everyman.  Up to now I have given laurels to those things that interested me, but most probably it was because I agreed.  I will now think about laurels differently. 

Everyman wrote:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

If it made me think, or contained information previously unknown to me. Everytime.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I have given laurels for a variety of reasons, and I don't think I have to agree with the poster to give one. Posts that make me think, make good points, and/or are well articulated get my laurels.  :smileywink:

Everyman wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook

I like the tags because I can tag a post that has book recommendations that interest me and then later when looking for a book suggestion, I don't have to scroll through millions of posts. I just click on my tags. So many great books get recommended, this helps me keep track of what would otherwise be a more difficult task.

CathyB wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

This has been bothering me for awhile and I've been trying to work it through but I think I need help.

I just don't get Tags.  I just do not see the value in them.  What possible purpose do they serve (other than having the most and getting your name on the board)?

Hi Everyone!

I also need clarification about the Laurels - maybe it is because they are new and people are just testing them out - but, I read them all during Sag Harbor and I have been reading them for TPBoDD and I have not been able to find what was relevant about some of the posts.

Is the purpose highlight something relevant/worthwhile for others to read? Or, is it something else?

Thnx

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

O.K. Deb I can see where that may be helpful.  I would think I need to keep the tag consistent, like "bestrecommendations".  Is that right?
debbook wrote:
I like the tags because I can tag a post that has book recommendations that interest me and then later when looking for a book suggestion, I don't have to scroll through millions of posts. I just click on my tags. So many great books get recommended, this helps me keep track of what would otherwise be a more difficult task.

CathyB wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

Hi Everyone!

Thnx

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

[ Edited ]

Absolutely!  I'm here in the first place to learn from others, secondly to see things in a different light all while keeping an open mind.  The main point is it should be an insightful post, clear and well thought out and respectful of others.  Like yours and mine!!:smileywink:

Laurels please, laurels please.

Everyman wrote:

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 03-21-2009 08:22 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

You can name the tag anything you want. I use debs_bookinterests, so I know what I'm interested in, and anyone else can just ignore it.  Unless of course they want to know what book titles have caught my interest:smileyhappy: But yes you probably want to use the same tag name to make it easier.

Carmenere_lady wrote:
O.K. Deb I can see where that may be helpful.  I would think I need to keep the tag consistent, like "bestrecommendations".  Is that right?
debbook wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi comm room,

Hi Everyone!

Thnx

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
ponie

Since this is not a welcome or introduction, perhaps it is best posted here in community...

while waiting for TPBODD check this out...I came upon it while looking up the meaning of "physick"...

http://www.physickbook.com

It doesn't spoil anything so I think it is OK but if it is not OK to put this here, someone let me know. (and sorry)

ponie
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Interesting site, ponie--thanks for the link.  Anything goes in the Community Room (within the limits of decency, courtesy, etc., of course!); we can chat about anything we want to here, it doesn't have to be related to the current First Look book.:smileyhappy:

Joan

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Thanks ponie!

That site makes me excited and interested to read the book.  I was already anticipating getting it, but now I want to read it even more.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ponie  =)

ponie wrote:

Since this is not a welcome or introduction, perhaps it is best posted here in community...

while waiting for TPBODD check this out...I came upon it while looking up the meaning of "physick"...

It doesn't spoil anything so I think it is OK but if it is not OK to put this here, someone let me know. (and sorry)

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ponie wrote:

Thanks for the link, Ponie. There is alot of interesting information there. There is a link in the Bibliography section for the University of Virginia's archives of the Salem Witchcraft Papers that is very interesting. I can't wait to get the book and get started!

Message Edited by retromom on 03-23-2009 08:29 AM
Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

Thanks for the link.