Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]
That's a relief!  I can only listen to his (Dan Brown's) books on audio because I just can not get into his writing. 
bibanon1 wrote:

As someone who thinks Dan Brown is one of the most overrated writers of all time, I can safely say that Dan Brown is not even close to being in Matthew Pearl's league.  Pearl is a much more literary writer whereas Dan Brown is a better screenwriter.

 

 


Amanda-Louise wrote:

After reading some of you talk about these books, I'm rather interested.  However, I'm really, really not interested in reading anything remotely Dan Brown-ish!!!!  Is this in that league?

 

Thanks!

Amanda

 


DebsScott wrote:

I've read both The Dante Club and The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl.  Of the two, I preferred The Dante Club the most.  I do enjoy historical fiction and the feeling of "hey, this COULD have happened this way...REALLY!". 


 

 

 

 


 


 

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 03-25-2009 08:08 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎01-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hooray!  My book arrived today; my confirmation came on 3/20, and I live in Central New York.  Thanks, B & N--this looks like a real winner!

 

Joan

Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I liked The Da Vinci Code well enough, but then it voiced an opinion that I'd had for years so that helped.  Then I went to Angels and Demons and Deception Point which I didn't like as well and wasn't impressed by so I kinda dropped Dan Brown. 
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

A Moment in Time...

While we are waiting to begin, I was wondering, since this book takes place in a part of American History, what is YOUR particular favorite place in time...one that you would like to go back to for a visit?  Do you see yourself as a queen of Egypt floating down the Nile or perhaps in  Rome during the dawn of Christianity, sitting in the court of an English monarch or discovering a young America?  Perhaps you prefer something more modern like the wild, wild western days or the roaring twenties or hippy days on Carnaby Street.   

 

I love history...all history...and it would be hard to pick a particular time I would like to visit (maybe I'll just invent a machine and visit them all...hmm..there may be a storyline in there somewhere).  What about you? 

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A Moment in Time...

I would love to go back to the American Revolution, there were so many things going on in the world. I think it would have been an amazing time to be alive anywhere.

 

But I would love to go back to any time when victorian dress were in style. I would love to have had a wardrobe full of fancy dresses like that. Funny that I don't even own a dress today....

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

Ok, I'm starting to get jealous. I live in MI and it looks like UPS just hasn't made it toward the mitten state yet.

 

With Sag Harbor I had gotten my book 2 days after my confirmation.... 

 

So now I'm waiting patiently (or at least trying to) for my book :-)

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎01-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

 

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
Posts: 276
Registered: ‎12-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


DebsScott wrote:
I liked The Da Vinci Code well enough, but then it voiced an opinion that I'd had for years so that helped.  Then I went to Angels and Demons and Deception Point which I didn't like as well and wasn't impressed by so I kinda dropped Dan Brown. 

 

I liked Angels and Demons lots better than The DaVinci Code.  Now I see it's being made into a movie.  I consider Dan Brown in my semi-light reading catagory.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: A Moment in Time...The Scottish Highlands

I would go to the Scottish Highlands back before the Jacobite Risings to see how life really was in the time of the great Highland Lairds.
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: A Moment in Time...

Really good question! I love history. If I had to choose one time to visit, I think it would be medieval times. Yes, I know the castles were drafty and wet, but there is something to be said for the view, for the openness. The clothing was also pretty neat.

DebsScott wrote:

While we are waiting to begin, I was wondering, since this book takes place in a part of American History, what is YOUR particular favorite place in time...one that you would like to go back to for a visit?  Do you see yourself as a queen of Egypt floating down the Nile or perhaps in  Rome during the dawn of Christianity, sitting in the court of an English monarch or discovering a young America?  Perhaps you prefer something more modern like the wild, wild western days or the roaring twenties or hippy days on Carnaby Street.   

 

I love history...all history...and it would be hard to pick a particular time I would like to visit (maybe I'll just invent a machine and visit them all...hmm..there may be a storyline in there somewhere).  What about you? 


 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

I GOT IT!!!!

 

I came home from getting lunch and saw that the big brown truck had just turned off of my street. So when I pulled up to my house I knew what was in the box on my porch :-)

 

I'm in Michigan, so it looks like the midwest should be getting theirs by now. I got my confirmation on the 16th.

 

I like the cover, I also like the extension as now I don't have to use a scrap piece of paper as a book mark....

 

I almost was thinking of not going to my knitting group tonight so that I can sit and read, but I need to get out of the house. So I'll read when I get home. 

 

-Jennifer

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
Posts: 289
Registered: ‎02-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

 I'm living in central Virginia and got my book today! The timing is perfect as it is the less busy part of my week. I can't wait till discussion starts on Monday.
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

I GOT MY BOOK!  *doing the happy dance*
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Contributor
Aradanryl
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: More on the Salem Witch Trials


Everyman wrote:

Personal note:  This post is based on my experiences as a family law attorney in Washington State at the time of the Wenatchee, Wn. Satanic ritual abuse cases.  There was much discussion among family law attorneys here about the case and its broader implications for the work we did with families and children. I have ever since had to walk a fine line between believing the reports of children involved in the cases I dealt with, and understanding that such reports can be manipulated and even created by those with an incentive to do so. I know that this subject is disturbing to some people, but it will have to be an element of our discussion of the Salem Witch Trials in this book discussion.

 

 


 

 

I definitely agree. 

Frequent Contributor
nikki824
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

While I was waiting for the new book. I read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. I loved the movie so I had to check out the book.:smileywink: The book is just as good.

Just got my book today! 

Message Edited by nikki824 on 03-26-2009 08:02 PM
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?


DebsScott wrote:
I GOT MY BOOK!  *doing the happy dance*

 

I got mine today, too. I'm very happy and have lots of reading to do this weekend!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: When did you get your book?

You belong to a knitting group? How fun, I would love that.

Jennmarie68 wrote:

I GOT IT!!!!

 

I came home from getting lunch and saw that the big brown truck had just turned off of my street. So when I pulled up to my house I knew what was in the box on my porch :-)

 

I'm in Michigan, so it looks like the midwest should be getting theirs by now. I got my confirmation on the 16th.

 

I like the cover, I also like the extension as now I don't have to use a scrap piece of paper as a book mark....

 

I almost was thinking of not going to my knitting group tonight so that I can sit and read, but I need to get out of the house. So I'll read when I get home. 

 

-Jennifer


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
SamanthaH
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎03-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A Moment in Time...

I was going to say that I would go back to Tudor England, because I love reading historical fiction and biographies from that time period, but them someone else mentioned the Jacobite uprising in Scotland, which reminds me of Gabaldon's much-loved Outlander series.  Now I am not sure which I'd pick between the two!

 

I suppose if I had to pick just one, I would say Tudor England.  The mentalities of the different groups in society were so complex - one day you'd be Catholic and all for the Pope, the next day you'd be all for Henry as the head of the Church of England, the next day you are back to the Pope, etc.  It's crazy to think of all of the political intrigue!  I love reading about it, and I think it would be interesting (and nerve-wracking) to experience.

 

-SKH

Contributor
SamanthaH
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎03-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I've just started the final book of Libba Bray's trilogy, which includes A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels and A Sweet Far Thing. The entire trilogy has been really interesting - if you haven't read it before, it's worth checking out.

 

I've also just downloaded the last book in Monica McCarty's second Highland romance called Highlander Scoundrel.  Her books are well-written, with good character development. If you like historical romances, take a look at her trilogies.

 

I am also supposed to be reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks for my offline book club, but haven't even gotten around to buying the book!

 

-SKH

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎10-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


ClaudiaLuce wrote:

At home, I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.  At school, the kids and I have just finished Shakespeares's A Midsummer Night's Dream - pretty good for 7th graders.  They loved being introduced to The Old Bard and getting  to understand the play!

AND, I am re-reading The Crucible as Everyman suggested.  It has been quite a while since I have read it and thought it would be a good idea!:smileywink:

 

Claudia


ClaudiaLuce,

How do you like The Mermaid Chair?  I read that book and loved it.  If you like Sue Monk Kidd you may like another book by her The Secret Life of Bees which is also now a movie.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann