Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Community Room

Please use this space for any off-topic discussions. Please remember to keep all posts civil!
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I have a question about using the forum.

Sometimes when I click on a thread, it takes me to the last message I read, other times I end up at the top and have to scroll through tonnes of posts.

How do I make sure it takes me to the last post read?  Is this even possible?

Thanks!  I'm determined to stay on top of the discussion this time around and this would help tremendously.

Amanda

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda  :smileyhappy:  If you go to your "Preferences," choose the "Display and Privacy Settings" tab, then you can select "Sort messages by latest post date in each thread." If you use the Linear setting for the boards, click "Newest to Oldest" in the Linear Format Settings. If you use the Threaded setting, click "Newest to Oldest/Date Descending" in the Threaded Format Settings. I hope this helps!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Sorting messages

[ Edited ]

Hi Donna,

Thanks - that's awesome. Now....for the dumb question of the week......how do I know if I view them in linear or threaded format?

Cheers,

Amanda

Nevermind, I'm editing this because I was able to answer my own question by looking in the preferences section.  Sorry!!!!

DSaff wrote:

If you use the Linear setting for the boards, click "Newest to Oldest" in the Linear Format Settings. If you use the Threaded setting, click "Newest to Oldest/Date Descending" in the Threaded Format Settings. I hope this helps!

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 03-11-2009 02:49 PM
Scribe
DSaff

Re: Sorting messages

You have to decide if you want to read all of the messages like a newspaper column (one right after the other on the same page - Linear) or like steps (viewing each message individually - threaded). I like the treaded format because it is easy to see who is responding to who, and I find it easier to follow. Try both and see which you like the best. BTW, this is not a dumb question.  :smileywink:

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi Donna,

Thanks - that's awesome. Now....for the dumb question of the week......how do I know if I view them in linear or threaded format?

Cheers,

Amanda

Nevermind, I'm editing this because I was able to answer my own question by looking in the preferences section.  Sorry!!!!

DSaff wrote:

If you use the Linear setting for the boards, click "Newest to Oldest" in the Linear Format Settings. If you use the Threaded setting, click "Newest to Oldest/Date Descending" in the Threaded Format Settings. I hope this helps!

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 03-11-2009 02:49 PM

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Re: Sorting messages

Thank so much for your help!  It would appear that I've got it organized.  I tend to get lost in the discussion once it gets underway and I suspect that it was largely because I had to wade through ALL the posts to get to where I left off.  No more!  Yay!

Cheers,

Amanda

DSaff wrote:

You have to decide if you want to read all of the messages like a newspaper column (one right after the other on the same page - Linear) or like steps (viewing each message individually - threaded).

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone is reading while you wait for The Physick Book to arrive?

I'm reading Lady Audley's Secret by Braddon.

Cheers,

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda-Louise on 03-12-2009 05:27 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

How was Legal Legacy? I was thinking of reading it.  I am just about to start Paths of Glory by Jeffry Archer.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I am reading Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. I started it because of the title, and am enjoying the story. (I can remember saying doggonit as a kid. LOL)

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I too just started reading Spencer Quinn's Dog On It. I am just on chapter four and already love the book. I like the freshness of the story written from the dog Chet point of view. The book is the first of a new series.
Message Edited by biljounc63 on 03-12-2009 09:47 PM
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Reading:

Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach: Laurence Leamer:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back: Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine:

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Just finished Sag Harbor, Story of a Marriage, The Lazarus Project, The Border of Truth

Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

I'm finishing up the last few chapters of Sag Harbor (my school final caused me to fall a little behind) Plus I'm also working on Duma Key by Stephen King, Rachel's Tears by Beth Nimmo and Darrell Scott, and I'm getting ready to start Little Giant of Aberdeen County.

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Reading:

Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach: Laurence Leamer:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back: Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine:

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Just finished Sag Harbor, Story of a Marriage, The Lazarus Project, The Border of Truth

I have Loving Frank in my TBR pile.  I hear it's a great read.  I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I do love Chet! It should make a wonderful series. 

biljounc63 wrote:
I too just started reading Spencer Quinn's Dog On It. I am just on chapter four and already love the book. I like the freshness of the story written from the dog Chet point of view. The book is the first of a new series.
Message Edited by biljounc63 on 03-12-2009 09:47 PM

Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

I am reading "Second Glance" by Jodi Picoult for my IRL book club which meets next Tuesday and also have "For a Few Demons More" by Kim Harrison going on my Sony Ebook, "The Eights" by Kathrine Neville on Audio Book and "Raintree:Inferno" by Linda Howard going on my ITouch....slight reading addiction.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

ponkle wrote:
How was Legal Legacy? I was thinking of reading it.  I am just about to start Paths of Glory by Jeffry Archer.
It was really good, a bit different than her other Alex Cooper mysteries/crime novels. But a really good fit.
I reviewed it on B&N if you want to check it out. 

Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. He's one of my favorite authors, and this is the only one by him I hadn't read yet. It's excellent.
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
I am reading:

Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah  and Called Our of Darkness by Anne Rice.

Excited for the new selection to arrive.

Looking forward to joining in yet another discussion with everyone. 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm finishing up Ahab's Wife by Sena Naslund and will then be starting

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco.

Looking forward to this book. I have read several historical fictions books

and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Cathy