Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Final Thoughts

Would you like to share any final thoughts about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, or about your reading experience here with the rest of the group?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

Re: Final Thoughts

I would just like to briefly say that reading Physick Book shed a bright light on a period of history that, I thought, was pretty much said and done.  Yet this novel made the circumstances and the people so much more alive than ever before.  In our busy lives, at least mine, we don't have time to delve into history books and sort out the facts.  This is exactly why I enjoyed this book, because I walk away with a new take on an old issue and reminds me that just because something happened 300 years ago doesn't mean there aren't two sides of the story to consider. 
rkubie wrote:
Would you like to share any final thoughts about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, or about your reading experience here with the rest of the group?

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I loved the book and the discussion. Hats off to Rachel for such thought provoking questions, Katherine for being so open with her thoughts, and my fellow participants for their energy and enthusiasm. While I would have picked this book up without the discussion, I'm not sure I would have gleaned the insights and information that have come from this opportunity to do an indepth discussion. My husband and I had a great time discussing is at home as well. Thanks to everyone at B&N who made, and continue to make, the FL club a success. I can't wait to continue the conversation!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff

I totally agree.

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I would just like to briefly say that reading Physick Book shed a bright light on a period of history that, I thought, was pretty much said and done.  Yet this novel made the circumstances and the people so much more alive than ever before.  In our busy lives, at least mine, we don't have time to delve into history books and sort out the facts.  This is exactly why I enjoyed this book, because I walk away with a new take on an old issue and reminds me that just because something happened 300 years ago doesn't mean there aren't two sides of the story to consider. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

This was my first time participating in First Look. I wasn't sure what to expect. Now that it's almost over I have to say that I truly loved being part of this wonderful group of people! I found myself on these boards almost as much as I was buried in the book. Reading everyone ideas, insights & opinions was great! You were forced to look at things maybe you wouldn't have before & it just made reading the book so much more enjoyable! The book is definately something I would have read, if I had come across it, but this group just seemed to make it so much more special & helped to give us all a special connection to the book & the author. Thank you for allowing me this experience!!
dhaupt

Hi Rachel and fellow first lookers,

First of all let me say once again how much I love first look. It's such a unique way to read and share books with others in the club and such a rush to know that you're one of the first to read the book. Talking with the authors and editors bring new light to the discussion and answer questions that some times we didn't even think to ask.

Now about this book: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane was my favorite so far of the first look selections. I'm a lover of great fiction in whatever genre it happens to be and TPBODD is one of the best I've read in a long time and I think it will literally fly off the shelves once it's published in June not only because of all the attention it's getting on the various sites but because it's that good.

I never have been a fan of American History because it's so full of holes and lies that the American public in general never knew about. Like our own concentration camps during WW11, racial, gender and age unequality, and in general any thing the Government didn't think wise to reveal. (okay off soapbox).

So I never really knew much about the Salem witch trials except what I learned in school and reading this novel opened my eyes to what happened there so long ago. Katherine's dialogue was so vivid that I could see Mercy standing on the out skirt of town watching the hangings, I could see Deliverance in the filth of the jail cell trying to help little Dorcas cope however she could, see the sneers on the faces of those jury and judge members, could feel the fervor of the crowd when those foolish foolish young girls were spouting and sputtering nonsense. And most of all she gave us something else to think about, what if there were really magic involved to a degree enough to give credit to the accusers at the trials, but what if it were "good" magic.

I have really enjoyed this book and will be recommending it to whoever will listen to me about it.

Thank you B&N for this amazing opportunity to be a part of something great!! 

Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

I thought The Physick book on Deliverance Dane was interesting. After reading her book  what I thought about witches and witchcraft existing  has made give it second thoughts. I am glad Mrs. Howe shared her story with the first look club readers. Hopefully I will be reading more of her work in the future.
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

I have participated in several of other First Look discussions and by far, this has been the best for me. Not just the book but also the group activity/discussion. There was so MUCH enthusiasm for this book. In previous FL discussions, I felt somewhat intimidated - this was not the case for TPBoDD. My comfort level probably had something to do with the early discussion of how/when/what to post.

I feel that Rachel did an excellent job, once again, as the moderator and starting us off with thought provoking questions. Thanks Rachel!! :smileyhappy:

I must say that Katherine did a fantastic job :smileyvery-happy: of answering all questions/comments posed by us. Her answers were well thought out, open and articulated.

Thanks to all - I have thouroughly enjoyed this experience!

Looking forward to many more discussions.

CathyB

Contributor
quinncx
0 Kudos

I thoroughly enjoyed the online discussions of this great book even though I wasn't able to contribute much this time around.  I think the fact that so many people enjoyed the book helped to spark lively interactions; it is much harder to motivate about a book when the overall feeling is "meh". 

Thanks as always to the B&N mods who do such a great job structuring the discussion.

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Thank you Ms. Howe for a wonderful book.  I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the discussions.

Rachel- you ask such thought provoking questions--which lead to great discussions.

Thank you B&N!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I enjoyed the book until the end when it left the realm of the possible and entered the impossible realm of magic and fantasy. I didn't feel prepared for the ending. It didn't so much as surprise me which would have been okay, but it disappointed me because I hadn't felt that the book was truly about witchcraft as a supernatural experience but rather about the reverse, the unreality of witchcraft as the crime for which the women were hung.

Contributor
brezi
0 Kudos

This was by far my favorite "First Look" book. I've already pre-ordered a copy from Barnes & Noble.com for my friend's birthday in June. I will be recommending this book to all of my friends.

Katherine Howe, congratulations on writing such an awesome, thought-provoking book! This book has helped educate me on the Salem witch trials, which wasn't really touched on in any history classes I've taken. I loved the combination of voices from Connie, Deliverance, and Mercy's points of view.

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I'm going to make a confession here. This is the second First Look discussion that I've participated in. The first one wasn't that great an experience, partly because I was a little bit intimidated, but also because I disliked the book so completely that I didn't see the merit in discussing it.

By contrast, this has been a wonderful experience. I feel that I have been part of something very special. I would have bought this book if I had found it in a bookstore, but I wouldn't have gotten nearly so much out of it without the discussion. Thank you all for making this book so much fun. I look forward to discussing the next book with you.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
gl
gl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you again B&N, Katherine Howe and her publisher for hosting this First Look Book Club.  Thank you also, Rachel, for the thought provoking questions that lead us into such lively discussions!   It's a generous gift of a book, time and energy - and very much appreciated by us participants!

This is my favorite book selection and discussion of all the First Looks that I've joined.  It was a such a treat to read the book, to reexamine the book with Rachel's thought provoking questions, to share reactions with everyone and then to hear Katherine Howe's answers and comments!  :smileyhappy:

I particularly loved how the book combined mystery and romance but also got me thinking.  I'd mentioned this in earlier posts but I had never thought what life would be like before the Scientific Revolution and awareness of disease and causality.  Katherine Howe wove this into the book and had me thinking even as I enjoyed the adventures and detecting of Connie and her allies!

This was a particularly fun book and experience - I'll try to do my part to spread the word!

Thank you again!

GL

Message Edited by gl on 04-20-2009 05:32 PM
Message Edited by gl on 04-20-2009 05:33 PM
Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

I just wanted to thank B&N, Rachel and Katherine Howe for this generous gift of the First Look Book Club selection!  It's my first time at First Look and was great fun!

I very much enjoyed the book - it was something thing that I likely would not have found on my own but once I started reading was such a treat!

I liked both learning more about the early American history along with the fun and mystery.  Thank you!

Mooks

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.  I would like to thank Barnes and Noble, Katherine Howe, and her publisher for making this book available to the First Look Boook Club. I don't know that I would have selected this book on my own, so I am so glad that it was available here on First Look and I had the chance to read it.  Otherwise, I may have missed the opportunity to read a very well written debut novel.  I really liked the way the story moved between the different time period and the historical references.  This is my fourth First Look book and, to date, my favorite!
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have been involved in the discussion of "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane".  I was drawn into the novel as soon as I saw the cover and read the first page.  When an author can do what Katherine did for me with this book, they must be terrific. 

I'd also like to thank B&N and everyone involved with picking this book as well as those we see here on the boards.  A big thank you to all participants.  You kept me thinking the entire time.  It's always good to see different points of view and to be able to share thoughts with others.

I believe the this novel will be a Best Seller shortly after it hits the bookselves.  Bravo to Katherine Howe for writing such an insightful and captivating novel. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
miller1323
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say this has been my favorite first look by far.  I know so may people who would love to read this one.  I think I'm going to force it on my book club.   
emmagrace
0 Kudos

This was an amazing read for me! I feel honored to have been a part of this discussion! Mrs. Howe did a wonderful job writing this book and she obviously put a lot of work into it! I am now interested in learning more about witchcraft!
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

This was the best ARC I have experienced so far.

Wonderfully written..and a book I just could not put down.

The discussion for this book was also a very rewarding experience.

Thanks to the author, editor, and everyone who took part.

Is there a list some where of where Katherine will be touring? (I might have missed that).

A big thanks to everyone.