Rachel-K

History and Preservation

Do you see a difference in the way Connie looks at the past, as a historian, and the way Sam looks at the past, as a preservationist, trying to maintain it?

Are you more of a historian or a preservationist?

How do these two roles aide the progress of Connie's research?

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Re: History and Preservation

Connie looks at the people and the way they lived, and Sam is more focused on where they lived.  I think they both see beauty in things that the other doesn't. 
Candi
Scribe
DSaff

I think the major difference between the way Connie and Sam look at the past is this. Connie regards the past as something to study and glean information from. She is content to go to dusty places seeking out treasures, then to compile them into papers and books to share with others in her field (or those choosing to peek into her investigation). Her treasures are books and papers. Sam, on the other hand, seeks to preserve history for everyone to enjoy. His work keeps buildings erect, with their various pieces preserved so that visitors can admire the work of the past up close and personal. His treasures are buildings and tangible things. Both types of historical preservation are necessary and important. Without each, we would have an incomplete record of the past. Together they expand our horizons and ignite our imaginations. I can definitely see what drew each of them to their chosen tasks.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I see Sam as more of an artist and Connie as more of an intellectual. Both are important in preserving history. As for me, I am not really and "antiques" person, unless the items have beauty in their own right, but I do like the knowing and seeing items people used in museums.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

[ Edited ]

I think the role of the historian (Connie) is to safeguard the story for future generations.

The role of a preservationist (Sam) is to preserve the historical character of the building or area in order to enhance the story for future generations.

Although I think that preserving the past is important, I only recently got involved with collecting antiques. I would consider myself more of a historian as I love reading about the past and need to know the whole story and find the whole story fascinating. It's nice to let your imagination go and picture in your mind what the past is like. It's also nice to be able to go somewhere and see buildings and areas that have been preserved. So, I would have to agree that both is important and seem to go hand-in-hand.

The progress of Connie's research was enabled by both of these methods. She was able to see Granna's house which time had preserved. She was able to go to the house that Sam preserved with the rock message. She visited the church with the information records, probate office and libraries also to get some of the history which was so relevant to her discoveries.

Message Edited by eadieburke on 04-06-2009 10:27 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

I think Connie is more of a historian because she wants to know how they lived in the past. As a historian she wants future generations to learn from the past. Sam is more concerned  with beautification and upkeep of historical sites. He is more concerned how things appear to the naked eye not what took place at those sites. With Sam's help he will uncover things that would have have been missed by Connie. Connie will uncover more secrets of the way the women lived back in the 1600's. I think  I am little of a historian and preservationist. I would like to the know the history and what they would look  like in their restored condition.  
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I think Connie revels in the minutiae of a past persons life or the hows, and Sam likes to think in the whys of the past.

I think I'm more of a historian than a preservationist. 

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl

Ths is an excellent question and the distinction enriches my reading of the book. 

Sam, the preservationist, is sensitive to the preservation and care of the physical remnants, structures, and records of the past.  He is much aware of how the buildings, furnishings, and everyday objects shaped people's day to day lives.

In contrast, Connie is aware of the cultural, ideological, linguistic, scientific, and pools of knowledge available  to people in each time period.  She is able to tie this in and explain what would might have gone unnoticed in the book.  

One fascinating point was that the Salem witch trials and the time period predated the Scientific Revolution.     I had not thought of what the world was like prior to the Scientific Revolution and notions of causation - this book made me think.  Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_revolution

PiperMurphy

I look at the historian and the preservationist as being right-brained and left-brained. Connie, the historian, is left-brained in that she takes a logical, methodical approach to her research. Sam, the preservationist, takes a right-brained approach with his creativity and art. It takes both to get the full story because history is so complex. Connie needs Sam because he looks at things from a different perspective. He changed her approach to her research at least twice because he saw something that she didn't.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:
I look at the historian and the preservationist as being right-brained and left-brained. Connie, the historian, is left-brained in that she takes a logical, methodical approach to her research. Sam, the preservationist, takes a right-brained approach with his creativity and art. It takes both to get the full story because history is so complex. Connie needs Sam because he looks at things from a different perspective. He changed her approach to her research at least twice because he saw something that she didn't.

PiperMurphy, well said! 

The best past of your post? It takes both to get the full story because history is so complex.

Might I add not only history but LIFE is so complex? 

I have a thought here but alas, I have finished the book and what I want to comment on is not in this week's reading.  Should you be so inclined I will post under The Crucible thread and have my say!  It fits there as well.

But let me say here that I will not read ahead in any future FL.  It didn't seem to matter in Sag Harbor (my first FL) but I see now this is a different kettle of fish!!! [sigh:smileysad:] Not saying it's a bad thing, just seeing it's not a good thing for me.  I may have to lay low so as not to wreck anything for anyone else. [sigh:smileysad:]  But I am continuing to read the responses and loving them! 

ponie
Contributor
akymberli
0 Kudos

I think you all have done a great job of distinguishing between the two disciplines, but I did have one comment

I thought that there should have been no need for Connie to explain to Sam the significance of the date 1692 (on pages 80-81).  He is recreating a cupola of the meeting house in SalemRegardless of whether he grew up in the area, he must have heard some stories about the Salem Witch Trials and working on the meeting house must have piqued his curiosityI know several individuals who reupolster or repair old furniture and any mark or brand starts them asking all kinds of questionsEven if Sam was more interested in the day-to-day use of the meeting house, I can't imagine he would ignore it's historical significance.   

Thanks

biljounc63

I just thought that the explanation to Sam was a way to introduce the "modern" aspect of the story to the reader who may or may not be up on the history of Salem. I thought it work without getting the feeling of being lectured to.

akymberli wrote:

I thought that there should have been no need for Connie to explain to Sam the significance of the date 1692 (on pages 80-81).  He is recreating a cupola of the meeting house in SalemRegardless of whether he grew up in the area, he must have heard some stories about the Salem Witch Trials and working on the meeting house must have piqued his curiosityI know several individuals who reupolsterreupolsterreupolsterreupolsterreupolsterreupolster or repair old furniture and any mark or brand starts them asking all kinds of questionsEven if Sam was more interested in the day-to-day use of the meeting house, I can't imagine he would ignore it's historical significance.   

Thanks

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
DebsScott

I agree with most of what everyone has said.  Connie is the historian because she researches and goes to publish her findings in articles in order to educate the rest of us on history.

Sam is the preservationist because he is more interested in restoring the physical aspects of history.  While he too must do research so as to know how to restore what he's...erm...restoring, he is more interested in sharing his knowledge of the past through the tangible rather than the written word.

As for me?  I love history...I love reading and digging into history...all history...kings and queens and great battles of wars.  I've even dug into my own history and discovered my family lines all the way back to the early 1600s in the United States.  However, I also love to preserve history by restoring antique furniture, "saving" 18th and 19th century books and donating to several perservation societies. 

Soooo...am I a historic preservationist or a preservational historian?

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

As the historian, Connie is more interested in the facts and the cause behind occurrences in the past - in essence, the intellect; whereas, Sam is more concerned with the physical nature of the past and preserving what they used, where they lived, etc....

I guess that I am a little of both but, more a historian than a preservationist. I love to collect items that are from the past but, I find I have the 'need to know' quality in abundance :smileyhappy:.

The house, corner stones, the probate records, journals, etc... have all helped Connie in her research. All are preserved from the past and the journals bring one closer to the thinking that was going on.

CathyB

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

I believe that Sam and Connie are like a song. They both bring things together such as

the history and the restoration of these wonderful land marks of the surrounding area. It's

like a win, win situation to have both of these qualities in a stroy, which makes it for a

pleasurable reading, which I am greatful to have the chance to do.

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Doesn't the whole book make you want to check out old houses now?
Candi
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Old Houses

candeny6 wrote:
Doesn't the whole book make you want to check out old houses now?

Yes, it really does...something I love to do anyway but now I wanna do it even more. 
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
emmagrace
0 Kudos

Sam keeps the past beautiful! He see more than the facts. Connie relys only on the facts. Sam helps Connie to see things in a different light!

I would have to day that I am a preservationist! I enjoy the beauty in everything historical!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I think there is most definitely a difference in the way Connie and Sam see history;  Connie has to make sense of it, fill in the gaps, while Sam maintains the "record" if you will.  I think it's also important to remember that the two professions feed off one another - the historian chooses what sources (documents/buildings/monuments/etc.) to study, the preservationist helps to restore and maintain those sources allowing the historian to accurately use those sources in his/her work and so on.

rkubie wrote:

Do you see a difference in the way Connie looks at the past, as a historian, and the way Sam looks at the past, as a preservationist, trying to maintain it?

How do these two roles aide the progress of Connie's research?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Hello again everyone,

Do you see a difference in the way Connie looks at the past as a historian, and the way Sam looks at the past, as a preservationist, trying to maintain it?

I believe that both Connie and Sam the same love for history, as well as the same goal, but are expressing it in two different ways.  Connie has obviously chosen the research path with regard to the way things were and looking for the truth in history.  Sam on the other hand looks at history, or at least at the historical buildings and places with a mindset of restoration.  Both Connie and Sam are running in parallel paths in order to reach the same goal.  That goal is the keep history alive and true.  In this way, they are able to present the historical resources to and for others to enjoy and maybe even marvel in them.  As I stated above, Connie and Sam are sharing their love for history. 

I guess I would say that I am more of a historian with preservationist tendencies.  I love history, especially U.S. History, and given the opportunity love to look back and place myself in historical places and maybe living in the time period, even if only in a book.  

I would love to be able to get my hands around some historical piece, research it and bring it back to its original form.  This even includes antique furniture.  The history in these pieces can be felt and enjoyed by their restoration.  I do have an antique table in the basement which I will be starting to restore in the very near future.  I may even start on it on my days off this week.  

How do these two roles aide the progress of Connie's research?

I would say that the two fit together like a hand in a glove.  Without a love for history, Connie would soon be running into dead ends with no clear path.  As a preservationist, Sam must know how to research and pick up all details of a time period, to get things right in the restoration phase.  So both roles can only help in Connie's research in finding the answers she is looking for.  She may even find things she was completely unaware of.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/