Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H

How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]

(ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED)

We're happy to announce that our next First Look selection is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, a novel by Katherine Howe.

Moving seamlessly between the present and one of America's darkest periods, the Salem Witch Trials of the late 17th century, Katherine Howe gives us two extraordinary women: Deliverance Dane, excommunicated from the Chuch in 1692, and Connie Goodwin, a Harvard grad student, with a particular talent for sniffing out the facts. Matthew Pearl, author of The Dante Club, hailed Howe's spellbinding debut novel as a "gripping supernatural puzzler." It's sure to be a favorite among historical fiction buffs.

You will receive a free advance reading copy and access to the discussion with the author. The ARCs will mail soon and the discussion will begin on March 30. The book club will be visible to the public, but only those enrolled will be able to post on the board and discuss the book with the author and other readers.

While we are happy to share this free book with you, the best way to ensure that we can continue offering this program to readers is for every recipient to come back and participate in the discussion. If you cannot find the time for the discussion that will be conducted from March 30 to April 24, please do not submit a request.

Here is how to enroll (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED) :

1. Sign in  (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED) 
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in from the link in the upper left of this page. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book. If you are having trouble signing in, please click here for more information.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can create an account by clicking on the register link in the upper left of this page. It's easy, and it's free.

2. Submit your information  (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED) 
Now that you are signed into your account, (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED). A private message (PM) will appear. Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in Preferences > Display & Privacy Settings.

Now that your private message is open, enter the following information into the window, as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
name
mailing address, including zip
daytime telephone number
Click "Send Message"

Note the following:
  • This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to anyone else.
  • Be sure to give us all the information required and do not include any other text in this message other than what is requested.
  • These free books are limited, only one per account, per person, please. We will stop taking requests once we run out.
  • Finally, please do not post the requested information on the boards. Your information should only go into a private message.

You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message, not by email. It may take up to a week before this confirmation arrives. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the welcome thread and introduce yourself!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 03-26-2009 12:07 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Maria,

For some reason whenever I try to respond, it tells me that YOUR PM setting is not allowing it to go through:smileysad:

Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

I'm getting the same message as Sue....
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I got the same message but I changed the words "First Look" to send to Maria_H and the message went through.
Message Edited by eadieburke on 03-10-2009 11:35 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

We are not accepting registrations until 1:00 PM EST today.  And certainly not in my PM.

The directions states:

"This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to anyone else."

Please come back at that time when the correct mailbox is open for business!

Thanks!

Message Edited by Maria_H on 03-10-2009 11:54 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

I am signed in. I click on the "click here" link and I get nothing. There is no private message. My preferences are changed to private. What am I doing wrong?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Jennmarie68

When I clicked on the click here link there was a pop up with the PM form. Maybe you have pop-ups blocked?

If you're using Internet Explorer you should be able to go into your tools and list barnesandnoble.com as an allowed site for pop-ups. I know in Firefox a bar shows up at the top asking me if I want to allow pop-ups from this site, I don't know if Internet Explorer has that same feature or not.

-Jennifer

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think you need to set your preferences to "default". That's what mine are set at and I was able to get the private message. Try changing it. Also click on "Enable your private messages".

joyfull wrote:
I am signed in. I click on the "click here" link and I get nothing. There is no private message. My preferences are changed to private. What am I doing wrong?

Message Edited by eadieburke on 03-10-2009 07:13 PM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Thayer
0 Kudos

hey Maria,  while I enjoyed Sag Harbor immensely, as a historical fiction fan, I am very excited about this book. Any clue when the first confirmations will go out?

Thanks

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

How do you know if you signed up properly? I think I did. But since I've never done this before. Now I'm wondering.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

TiggerBear wrote:
How do you know if you signed up properly? I think I did. But since I've never done this before. Now I'm wondering.

Hi TiggerBear,

Go to your SENT folder in your B&N email account and look for the message you sent.  If your message is in the SENT folder, then it went out.  Next, check to make sure all your information is correct and that it was sent to the proper address (FirstLook not Maria). If you followed the directions in the initial email, it's very likely you sent it out correctly.

I hope this helps! 

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Alright next question. Do they send out confirmation?
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

TiggerBear wrote:
Alright next question. Do they send out confirmation?

Yes.  It can take as long as a week to receive it.  The confirmation will arrive as a private message in your inbox. I hope this helps.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi TiggerBear,

just wanted to say welcome, as I've seen you on some of the other clubs.

Did you get your questions answered, if not you can send a pm to Maria or Rachel.

But I think Suszi gave you what you needed.

Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

I think I am finally learning how to request getting into the First Look in time, or something.  I actually did everything right this time and it went through first time, so that I didn't or don't waste Marias time when I did it wrong lol.  I hope I get into the club for The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane,  by Katherine Howe.  From what reviews I've read so far, it will be an interesting read with I hope a lot of discussions.  I have always been interested in the Salem witch trials and people involved etc, maybe because I also lived in a city named Salem when I was growing up. Good luck everyone
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

I'm happy to report that I finally have my laptop set up right to accept the pop-up window.

Next problem: I entered all the information in the message exactly as told. Then I keep checking for messages - none. Now after reading the message above I checked my sent messages and there are none. I notice there is nothing in the "send to" area. Is that right?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

When you clicked on "click here" in Maria's "sign up for First Look" message, the private message that came up in the new window should have been pre-populated with the username FirstLook.  If you hit "send" after filling out the information, the sent message should show up in the sent tab of your private message tool (the initial page that comes up defaults to the inbox tab). 

FirstLook hasn't sent any confirmations out, yet, so we should hear about the first round in a few days.  If you're concerned something didn't go through correctly, drop Maria_H a message and ask her to check.

joyfull wrote:

I'm happy to report that I finally have my laptop set up right to accept the pop-up window.

Next problem: I entered all the information in the message exactly as told. Then I keep checking for messages - none. Now after reading the message above I checked my sent messages and there are none. I notice there is nothing in the "send to" area. Is that right?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

It worked!!! Thanks to everyone who helped me. I appreciate the time you gave me. I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Bearsstar wrote:
I think I am finally learning how to request getting into the First Look in time, or something.  I actually did everything right this time and it went through first time, so that I didn't or don't waste Marias time when I did it wrong lol.  I hope I get into the club for The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane,  by Katherine Howe.  From what reviews I've read so far, it will be an interesting read with I hope a lot of discussions.  I have always been interested in the Salem witch trials and people involved etc, maybe because I also lived in a city named Salem when I was growing up. Good luck everyone

Bearsstar wrote:

Bearsstar wrote:

Hi Bearsstar,

Glad to hear you have everything set up.  Welcome!  I think you're going to have a great time.

Suzi

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi TiggerBear,

just wanted to say welcome, as I've seen you on some of the other clubs.

Did you get your questions answered, if not you can send a pm to Maria or Rachel.

But I think Suszi gave you what you needed.

Thanks.

I think she did too. Now I'm worring whether by the time I get confirmation I done it wrong, that all the copies will be gone. (sigh) Just have to hope I did it right. They do keep you on tenderhooks don't they.