Wordsmith
maude40

Re: Let's Get the Word Out: Customer Reviews!

I loved this book. It was a great historical novel and those are the best kind. It had mystery, history, a love interest, mother-daughter relationship, and a cool dog. It had everything. I hope Ms. Howe will keep writing as I will be sure to read her next novel. Yvonne
Inspired Correspondent
nfam

Posted my review: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1118258

As I said in my first posts, I wanted to like this book. The writing in the 'Interlude' chapters was great. However, the story line and characters in the present day portion were unbelieveable. The plot was ridiculous; the ending unimiginative. Altogether, I was disappointed. I know quite a bit about the Salem Witch Trials and I didn't find this book either true to life or history. 

Contributor
quinncx

[ Edited ]

Mine is up:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1118283

I've also posted to my blog and some other bookish sites.  This was by far my favorite of the 4 First Look books I've been privileged to receive- I'm already talking it up to people in my life and am certain it will become a bestseller!

Message Edited by quinncx on 04-20-2009 02:02 PM
Contributor
scuddednimbus

Correspondent
PinkPanther

I have not finished the book yet, but so far it is great!!!! This book is a refreshing addition to the first look club, with all of its mystery and intrigue. When I am done with the book, I will write a whole book review, but so far, this book is great.
"I ought, therefore I can"
-Immanuel Kant
Wordsmith
Deltadawn

[ Edited ]

Jo6353 wrote:

januttall wrote:

This is the least I can do for B&N in return for providing us with the privilege of receiving advanced copies of this specatular debut novel.

I hope to see Ms. Howe's name at the top of the best seller list this summer!

Julie

I have no doubt that this will soar to the top of the bestseller list!  Jo

I'm sure it will! It's a wonderful book-I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to read it & discuss it here. I'm happy to review it too!
Message Edited by Deltadawn on 04-20-2009 09:20 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

I finally manged to finish the book, so here's the review:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/reviews-ratings-pedsphleb/id/1119511/

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
SandyS

Thanks First Look for an engaging book.

My review can be found at:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1119829

Thanks Ms. Howe for giving so much of your time and talent.

SandyS

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

[ Edited ]

I was a bit slow in getting here, but here's my review, finally!  And drat!  I forgot how to create a link to it so it's below as well as where it's supposed to be. :smileytongue:

Howe is an extraordinary new voice in historical fiction

Posted 04/22/09: In Katherine Howe's debut novel the reader is taken back to the late 17th Century through flashbacks (interludes) to the early Salem witch histeria. Flashforward to the summer of 1991, Connie Goodwin is asked by her mother to clean out her Granna's old deserted home in Marblehead, Mass. In doing so she stumbles upon a key with the name Deliverance Dane tucked inside and she's on her way to finding much more than her primary source needed for her disertation. I was completely taken aback by this young authors ability to bring fact and fiction together to give the reader a sense of place and time both in 1681 and 1991. Howe's characters are as solid and magical as her writing. Deliverance Dane would be a wonderful summer read and good for long discussions in a book club for this book surprisingly hits upon issues that are very relevent today.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 04-22-2009 08:23 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Correspondent
m3girl

I submitted my first ever review!  I really enjoyed this book and have been recommending it to all of my reading friends.

Susan 

Frequent Contributor
fordmg

I wrote my review.  I enjoyed the book.  I don't know how to add the link.

MG

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

This whole experience was a pleasure!  Thank you!!

Here is my review:  http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1119897

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68

Here's the link to my review on B&N.

I've also posted the review on my blog at justjenniferreading.com

Again thank you for letting me be a part of this one. I think I loved this book more than I did Sag Harbor! (I thought that was going to be a hard one to beat)

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
chris227

Contributor
megan-smith

Overall, I thought the book was alright. I don't know what it was about it, but it didn't hold my attention the way some others have. I'm not saying it wasn't good though.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

Wow! I almost completely forgot to post my link here!  I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this experience, as I always do, but this one was had an extra-special quality to it.  It says a lot about a book when its not even in your genre of choice and you can say that you enjoyed it immensely! I can! Katherine Howe has a real fan right here.  No doubt. 

I sooo appreciate the time Katherine took with every question she received and she answered each one with great care. She gave us a great deal of time.  From what I can see, she must be a very beautiful person. Here's to Barnes and Noble for bringing a great book and author to the club.   It's the whole package that makes First Look great: reading the novel, experiencing it with all of you, having the rare opportunity to "talk" to the author, and have an insider's "first look". It gets better every time.  I can only hope I can continue to be part of it.  Thanks so much to all of you!!!

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1120771

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Correspondent
nicole21WA

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose

I just submitted my first review as a First Look Book Club member. It's been many years since I have written a book review, but I would just like you to know how very much I enjoyed the book and the First Look club. Here is the link to my review. 

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/reviews-ratings-Ronrose/id/1120790/

biljounc63

I finally posted my review! I really enjoyed this First Look Club. Thanks to everybody who works to make this possible, to all of my fellow posters,  and to Katherine for putting the time in to interact with the readers. It really helped make this a positive experience. The quality of the ARC was incredible I can only imagine what the final hardcover will be like.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1121272

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Contributor
abbyg7

I posted my review, but I don't know how to link to it.  Sorry.

I really enjoyed this book.

Thanks again to everyone involved for this great opportunity to read advanced copies.