Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Re: Mothers and Daughters

Connie and her mother are opposites. Connie being level-headed and her mother being a free spirit.

Sophia appears to be some type of healer.  She has a large assortment of bottles in the kitchen and a large vegetable and herb garden.

I don't get a sense about Mercy and Deliverance's relationship yet except that Mercy seems to have some kind of power.

dhaupt

[ Edited ]

I like the relationship between Connie and Grace and I think it runs true to form that a free spirit begat a regimented soul. But however polar opposites they seem to be I sense a lot of respect and love between the two of them from the phone conversation they had.

I have only now finished the 6th chapter and haven't really seen any other mother daughter relationships, so I'll come back later on in the book to answer this question.

Connie's granna was from my first impression on the house a horticulturist in heirloom vegetables and a bit of an herbalist with all the poisonous/medicinal plants (still waiting to learn what's in all the jars in the kitchen) 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 03-30-2009 03:14 PM
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

It seemed obvious that even though Connie and her mother don't see each other often or even communicate very much , that Connie wanted to please Grace by doing the favor for her. I liked the way Liz put a rational spin on it and told connie to just get on with it as she had already given her word that she'd get the house ready for sale. Connie evidentally can't stand up to her mother, can't say no. Yvonne
RJH
Contributor
RJH

Connie and her mother , Grace, have a strained relationship. Grace raised her daughter as a single parent. Connie most likely realized at an early age that all wasn't right with her mother.  When one refers to their parent by their given name it usually indicates alack of respect.  I think that Connie calls her mother just to make sure that Grace hasn't taken a leap off the cuckoo's nest and just because that's what good people do.  Simply the fact that Grace has passed on the job of taking care of her mother's house speaks volumes. It's a job for an adult, not a woman-child.

Sophia seems like someone who would have been somewhat conservative New England type additude. She read Uncle Tom's cabin and she loved plants(some connection to Deliverance and Mercy). I think that Sophia has some connection to Delverance , that was shown by the fact that Arlo brought up a mandrake(Harry Potter anyone??). I thought it was very interesting that Connie actually knew what one was and could recognize it.

The mother -daughter relationship between Mercy and Deliverance is very much still in developmental stage. They both have abilities that not everyone has.  But I have the feeling that Mercy is going to be the more gifted one. 

I need to get the rest of the book read!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Connie and Grace seem to come from different planets. Connie is very practical and grounded while Grace is "free spirited" and "lackadaisical". This blend makes for a very unusual relationship. Grace doesn't seem to want to engage Connie's conversation, she just wants to selfishly talk about what's going on with her.

You can understand why Grace is the way she is when you see how Connie's grandmother lived. It's very obvious that Sophia was into "herbal healing" and you can kind of figure out that Sophia possibly has something to do with being involved with the witchcraft.

Grace seems to be more "new age" and into "vernal equinox", Eastern religion, "energetic and herbal healing" probably a reflection from her mother's interests.

Connie seems to have rebelled against her mom's "flexibility and freedom" but she is experiencing "visions and dreams" which tells us that the witchery powers have not escaped Connie either.

It will be interesting to see where all this leads and how Connie fits into the picture.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

There is definitely going to be alot more between Grace and Connie. Their relationship is to distant right now. I'm betting there will be some deep dark secrets. I can't get a handle on Grace. Is she just flaky or does she know alot more about the house and ehr mother than she is saying? I think she knows alot.

At first I found it strange that Connie didn't know what was in the jars in Sophia's ktchen. But then I realized that witchcraft is not something she probably was very interested in due to how her mother was when she was growing up. She knew what she needed to for her orals as well as lots of other parts of American history. It was Chilton and then her mother sending her to the house that set her off on this quest.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I thought their relationship was loving and realistic, for a mother and daughter who are so different. I imagine Connie called her Grace and Grace's choice/request. I thought Mercy kept things hidden and apparently she and Deliverance did not openly talk about the things they knew and did- but that may have came later.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824

biljounc63 wrote:

The relationship between Connie and Grace is strained at best. One sign is the fact she addresses her by her first name. They also talk to each other very infrequently.

Grace is being portrayed as a "free Spirit' so far it seems to be true. She lives for today and does not seem to worry about the future.  She seems to not really be interested in the life of her daughter. Connie has hopes that Grace called her to see how her testing when her hopes quickly deflated when Grace simply wanted her daughter cleanup granna's house for the summer. She did not even seem to remember that the testing was happening.

I think Grace is interested in Connie, just not in the same things Connie cares most about. Despite Grace being a free spirit, she raised a smart confident daughter who will drop her own plans to help her mom. I think the love they have will be more apparent as they get older and more tolerant of each other.
Contributor
Silvia
0 Kudos

I believe that the relationship between Connie and Grace is strained. Connie seems to be  more responsible and level headed while her mother is more a free-spirit but it looks like Connie is trying to please her mother.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I had the feeling that Connie and Grace did not understand each other and rather danced around each other's needs, not truly confronting them. Grace never remembered about the oral exam although Connie truly hoped she did.
Grace seemed to have no idea about Connie's life and made a seeming arbitrary request for her to settle up her mom's home so it could be sold without even explaining the condition of it and totally ignoring the fact that Connie might have other responsibilities. Connie, seems to be seeking approval/recognition from her mom so she says yes and embarks on this adventure, unprepared for what awaits her. She puts her course work on the back burner which seems very atypical of her and also seems to set the stage for the change in personality which begins to evidence itself when she meets Sam.

From Connie's lack of interaction with her Granna, you learn that Grace had little to do with her mom, as well. The atypical female, in these relationships, seems to be spread across the three generations.

Deliverance and Mercy seem to have a more structured relationship than Mercy and her dad. It is interesting because usually one expects more openness between mother and child since mothers are natural nurturers but Mercy seems to have a softer relationship with her dad. Deliverance seems to have a "career" as a healer, which I suspect was not very common for the times. A woman's place was in the home.
The women in the novel, so far, are not typical of their gender.

twj

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

I felt that Grace sent Connie there to learn about Grace and Grace's parents.

It was probably more Grace's subconscious that made her ask Connie to clean up the house. But what a way to learn about how where her mother grew up, what the jars are in the kitchen, why the gardens, etc. I think that Connie will come to discover more about what drives her mother as the book progresses.

Contributor
scarpettajunkie

"It made me wonder if the women from the 1600's were really witches or were just practicing herbal medicine before their time."

Hmmmm food for thought.

Scarpettajunkie lover of Cornwell and historical fiction
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

What is Connie's relationship with her mother ?

What strikes me about the relationship between Connie and her mother is that they don't appear to be close at all.  Connie had told her mother that she would be taking her oral exam, so when she recieved a message to call her mother no matter how late, Connie expected that Grace had remembered and was calling to find out how the exam had gone, only to find out that Grace had completely forgotten about it.  The only reason for the call was to request that Connie take care of her Grandmother's property issues following her death.  I get the impression that Grace's thing is to have someone else take care of family issues and problems while she goes about her own life, in her own carefree manner.

What can we make out about Connie's Grandmother, Sophia,  from her house?

It appears to me that Sophie was one who didn't care much about the luxuries of life, ( electricity and the like).  She was a simple person, who liked to garden and probably dabbled in either withcraft or some sort of healing procedures.  (The garden itself was an example of her ways).  Also the various jars of items some unknown, for that matter most were unknown.  Another clue to here life showed as Arlo, Connie's dog brought in the Mandrake into the kitchen.  It will be interesting to follow what else comes about in this house.

Do you get a sense of Mercy's and Deliverance's relationship this early?

It's could be somewhat difficult to tell at this point, but I find that Deliverance finds Mercy to be a bother.  It may be because of things that have happened in the past or Mercy may be more like her mother than Deliverance is ready to admit.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone that said that Connie and Graces relationship is strained. I think Connie's chosen field shows structure. History is facts, it is the past. Grace lives for the moment, she is a free spirit, unstructured and I think this is why the relationship is strained. They are two completely different personalities but I think the tie that will eventually bind them can be found in Grandma's house.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Frequent Contributor
Eckwell
0 Kudos

The relationship between Connie and Grace seems to have many layers.  Connie has "moved on" with her own life apart from her mother.  However, she still seeks Grace's approval when she has significant moments in her life.  It only hurts her that much more to realize that what is significant to her is not significant to Grace.  There is a big communication problem there!
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I too believe that Grace sent Connie to the grandmothers house for a reason.  The most logical reason would be to learn about her family, or perhaps understand herself a little more.  It sounded as if these "daydreams" had happened before, but apparently Connie has never really explored them.  I also believe that (as someone else has said) Grace knows about Sam.  It could be a "mother's intuition", but as tuned in as my mother is, she probably wouldn't  pickup on it from that far away.  Not in a short phone conversation. I find the realtionship between Grace and Connie interesting to say the least, it makes me want to learn more about Grace and Sophia's relationship.

As for Mercy and Deliverance; it is obvious that Deliverance is the one in the family who hands down the punishment. 

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
New User
Misssweet23

Connie's relationship with her mother is not the dream relationship. They don't even appear to be very close. It's almost as if her mother regrets her daughter due to the "loss" of Connie's father. Connie calls her mom by her name which seems to be a clear sign of a strained/difficult relationship. Connie appears to desire motherly attention especially on the day of her "interview" to become a doctoral candidate. She also seems eager to please her mom even through the distance relationship by allowing her mother to talk her into caring for her grandmother's house.

Inspired Contributor
januttall

cocospals wrote:
I agree with everyone that said that Connie and Graces relationship is strained. I think Connie's chosen field shows structure. History is facts, it is the past. Grace lives for the moment, she is a free spirit, unstructured and I think this is why the relationship is strained. They are two completely different personalities but I think the tie that will eventually bind them can be found in Grandma's house.

I think you're right about Granna's house.  I have a feeling Grace "sent" Connie there for a reason far deeper than to "settle the estate".   Rather this is her way of helping Connie get in touch with herself (and her familial history).

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace

Connie and her mother are two very different people. Connie is focused and goal oriented. Her mother is laid back and carefree. They seem more like distant cousins than mother and daughter.

All of the mother-daughter relationships so far seem the same to me. They all seem very distant from each other.

Connie's grandmother seems like she was a very simple lady who prefered to keep to herself because she had no phone/electricity in her house. Like all mother-daughter relationships so far, Sophia did was not very close to Grace.

Mercy and Deliverance's relationship so far seems the same as all other mother-daughter relationships-distant.

Frequent Contributor
luvmykiddos

scarpettajunkie wrote:

"It made me wonder if the women from the 1600's were really witches or were just practicing herbal medicine before their time."

Hmmmm food for thought.

Good thought, it's true everyone these days are herbal this, organic that. It's very important to us, what's to say these women weren't going against the norm in one way, shape, or form.