Frequent Contributor
maryfrancesa
0 Kudos

Re: Part 11, Chapters 15 - 21

I agree with all that you said, I do believe that Connie has developed a new and deeper regard for her mother and her ancestors. She is seeing more into Chilton 's reasoning as to what she  has to offer.  I wonder whenhe knew about her and Grace

think that there is alot more to Sam then her friend, i think that he always gives her guidence into where to look and maybe grounds her. 

Does make you wonder about the male curse

Frequent Contributor
maryfrancesa
0 Kudos

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

This is one small area where I feel Connie is an unbelievable narrator (and I really like the book!).  I too am wondering how Grace "hid" her "powers" from Connie. 

Connie grew up as an only child with Grace as the only parent in the home.  Even if they were not close I can't imagine how this aspect of Grace could go unnoticed.

SandyS

thewanderingjew wrote:

I was intrigued when Connie put two and two together to connect her heritage. The thing that confounded me, however, is how she could have grown up with Grace and never suspected anything unusual about her, other than her seeming spirituality and eccentricity.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

SandyS wrote:

This is one small area where I feel Connie is an unbelievable narrator (and I really like the book!).  I too am wondering how Grace "hid" her "powers" from Connie. 

Connie grew up as an only child with Grace as the only parent in the home.  Even if they were not close I can't imagine how this aspect of Grace could go unnoticed.

SandyS

thewanderingjew wrote:

I was intrigued when Connie put two and two together to connect her heritage. The thing that confounded me, however, is how she could have grown up with Grace and never suspected anything unusual about her, other than her seeming spirituality and eccentricity.

Grace would not have had to "hide" her talents from Connie.  Grace's talents evolved from those of her ancestors.  The generations before Grace would have focused on more basic "healing," but with the advances in medicine, Grace would not have had to concentrate so much on the healing aspect.  Instead, Grace focused more on reading auras and improving the imbalance in people's lives.  This is not so different from the Mid-Eastern Religions.  It would not have been viewed as having "powers" or as being very unusual.
"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

I do not like that Chilton character - I have not yet finished the book - but I am at about chapter 20 and just read the chapter in the Harvard Library last night.  He's creepy and up to something and I hope that Connie is very careful about what she shares with him and how she does that.  I think it is more than just about his failed research projects but don't really know just yet what it is....keeps me reading...

I am enjoying this book quite a bit - and instead of rushing through it am savoring it and reading a chapter a night when time allows.  It's quite fun and interesting and one that I've recommended to many friends.

Susan 

Correspondent
m3girl

Connie has been looking for a book with no title, no publication date, and no author. What does this say about her quest? 

I am not sure if it says anything about her quest - except that perhaps some books from the past don't fall into the modern day cataloging system of libraries.  Her quest has been rather organized and successful up until the point where she hit the modern cataloging system at the Harvard library.  The fact that it has no title - well it's been called many things over the course of her search and I would expect it to be more of a notebook - a collection of articles - than much else.  No publication date - because it was never technically published was it?  No author - wasn't it written by several women over a period of time - during which being identified as a witch wasn't a good thing for longevity and therefore being more listed as an author might not have been a good idea.

I've enjoyed her quest and look forward to reading on and seeing what she does with the book...

Susan 

Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

I think Connie thought of her mother as a free spirit.  When faced with her grandmother's house, perhaps she rethought what her mother could do.
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: Part 11, Chapters 15 - 21-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 21 & INTERLUDE

TRJ4SQ wrote:

I wonder how Connie got the book out of the library. I assume that they would not lend rare old books out for take home.

I was wondering this also.  I used to work in libraries and there were certain books that were not allowed to be checked out. I think this would hold true for this book also.  I was a bit lost and wondering if I skipped some pages when the chapter opened with Connie going though the text  in her Granna's kitchen.

Goodreads ID: dinib
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I am finally getting time to finish this. I love it. I am on chapter 18. It is getting very interested. Connie found she had some powers, Sam got hurt. I am still very confused by Chilton. I think he wants to book for him self.

I am also anxious to start the new book for the first look club.

I will let you know when I finish Howe's book.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Debbie, I am finally getting time to finish this. I love it. I am on chapter 18. It is getting very interested. Connie found she had some powers, Sam got hurt. I am still very confused by Chilton. I think he wants to book for him self.

I am also anxious to start the new book for the first look club.

I will let you know when I finish Howe's book.

ReadingPatti

Hi Patti, glad you're enjoying Ms. Howe's book. I really did too. And I'm also enjoying the new read.
Talk to you soon.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I finally finished this book. Boy, it was good. I was surprised by Chilton. He was such a stupid guy. Did he really think that Connie was going to give him the book? NO.

I like how Connie and her Mom, Grace finally got to know each other better and live together and were fixing up the house.

I think Connie came into to her own. She realized her powers and the ancestors before that passed down to her and her mom.

Great work Katherine.

ReadingPatti