Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
deaver

Re: Chpt 1-6, my thoughts

Dogs are the greatest and Arlo is one of my favorite characters as well.  When I went to the humane society to adopt my Jack Russel, Penny...she literally jumped over the partition and into my arms!  I presently am surrounded by Akitas and Leonburgers and absolutely love every one of them. 

Howe's description of Deliverance's dog and Connie's dog are the same.  It's as if they are one and the same dog. 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6

I agree Claudia. I see and hear the story while I am reading it -- and sometimes in between reading sessions!! I am following the reading schedule this time and will wait until the weekend to start the next set of chapters -  ahhhhhhhhh the agony of waiting.

CathyB

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

I am so sorry you didn't like this book.  I, on the other hand, loved it!  I am already finished reading it and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Yes, there were a few things that had to be "overlooked", but this was a piece of fiction and there are normally a few things in any piece of fiction that have to be overlooked.  I was able to picture myself right there in Marblehead and Salem with Connie and Deliverance and the others and that is what really matters to me when I am reading!  I always tell my students that when they see a movie in their minds while they are reading, they know they have found a good book!  This was one of those! I will admit that I could not put it down and read incessantly until I finished.  I wanted to find out how it was going to end, but did not want it to be finished.

Claudia 

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

ladybug74 wrote:

I do not like the extra flap inside the cover of the book. It gets in my way every time I start reading. I thought it was cool at first because I liked the look of it, but I have been tempted to cut off the extra flap the more it gets in my way. Hopefully this is only on the ARCs of this book.

I did like the look of the cover, though. I agree with the others that I would have picked this book up to read the description from the cover alone.

I use it as a bookmark. I tuck in the pages when I am done reading to hold my place & while I am reading, I just tuck it in some of the back pages & it works out really well!

Stephanie

PB684
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:
ladybug74 wrote:

Perhaps Granna knitted the sweaters and mailed them to her family for Christmas? A lot of people who have family out of town mail gifts to them.

There was definitely a passage where Connie says that her Granna visited a few times (for holidays?) when she was a child and that's when she brought the sweaters...I just can't remember exactly where it was in the book.

PB684:smileyhappy:

PB684
Correspondent
bibanon1

I apologize if I am repeating anything...I just got my book two days ago and I'm starting Chapter Six. I am loving it so far. It is written with such an academic style.  My only complaint so far is the budding relationship between Connie and Sam. Every time Howe throws in a hint at romance, it seems to bring the action to a complete halt for me. The book seems interesting enough without the romantic angle. Is anyone else having an issue with this storyline?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
hoot
0 Kudos

What is the relationship like between Arlo and Connie?

I get the inpressiont hat Arlo becomes an important part of the story down the line. I am not there yet, but at this point i fail to see the signifigance of the dog. Honestly he is barely mentioned, and generally behaves as a dog... am I missing something here?

www.bellasnovella.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 4 & INTERLUDE

TRJ4SQ wrote:

Laura,

If you are using IE you can select the "large" link from the page to load this version. When the image loads on mine it's small but if I hold my mouse in the lower right corner of the doc I get a square with arrows. Clicking on this blows it up. Hope that helps!

Great!  It worked!  I learned something new.  Thanks!

Are you planning to ask the author about this document?  I would be curious to know if she know of its existence.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
Danimal79

I just tried to post a message but I think it was erased..my apologies if this appears twice!

Anyway, I am enjoying the book thus far but have found myself more than distracted by a number of flaws in the plot and dialogue.

As others have mentioned, I found the whole issue of Granna's house to be a little implausible.  Additionally, I couldn't accept that Connie and Liz would have the discussion as to why Connie had to go to the house when they did. In real life, I think Connie would have discussed everything with Liz prior to making any plans to go out there.  If I were Liz, I'd want to know why the heck I was going to be spending the night in a house that had been abandoned twenty years ago!

Then there are other things.  For example, Connie notices the eerie painting in Chilton's office.  Given that Chilton was her advisor,  the reader can assume that she had been to his office many, many times before  Wouldn't she have noticed the painting then?  

I also found myself to be quite distracted by Ms. Howe's use of the Brahmin and Boston accents.  As a native New Englander, I more than used to such inflections and certain pronunciations; however, I don't think it's a necessary component of the story (and, in fact, I think it detracts from the flow of the story).  

BUT..I don't want to be too critical.   I DO very much like the book and I think those portions of the plot and dialogue which seemed forced could have been ironed out with better editing.  I don't think they are a reflection on Ms. Howe's capabilities as a writer, by any means.  In fact, I think she is quite talented and I think she does a particularly good job of creating a seamless transition between the two different time periods (as mentioned, these transitions can often be obstrusive to a reader but I think Ms. Howe has avoided this often stumbled upon pitfall).  

Things I also particularly liked were Ms. Howe's choice of the name Connie which, I assume, is short for Constance and, therefore, fits in nicely with the story.  I also like the subtle and yet repeated mention of apples...which, for me, conjures images of witches.  And I loved the build up to Connie's oral exams and the whole description of how she came home and sat in her den with her peppermint tea.  What a cozy image..I wanted to be sitting in that chair with a book!!

I hope I wasn't too critical.  I really am thrilled to be reading this book and to be taking part in another FirstLook book club!

Danimal

Author of Chronic Stimulation- a diary chronicling every day life with a recently implanted neurostimulator (for severe chronic pain).

http://www.chronicstimulation.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

IF Professor Chilton does know something about Connie and her history, consider this...

on p. 20 Professor Chilton urges Connie to look vigorously for new source bases...that a really marvelous, newly uncovered primary source can make you in this field.  Could Chilton be planning to use Connie herself as his new source base, his newly uncovered primary source to make himself in (t)his field?

Also does Connie's Arlo remind anyone of Lyra's Pantalaimon? (Lyra and her daemon, from P.Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass)

OK now I am posting a response post to a previous post of my own posting...[I've gone postal!!:smileyvery-happy:]  OK that was bad!!!:smileytongue:

I think Lyra knew all along who and what Pantalaimon was all about...Connie, not yet so with Arlo.

ponie
Contributor
Raskls
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ladybug74 wrote:

Did anyone else notice that Grace's name went right along with the naming pattern of the earlier "witches?" I don't remember anyone mentioning Granna's name, but Deliverance, Mercy, Grace.... They all are named for certain virtues.

I can't remember if we have heard Connie's full name, but I assumed it was Constance, which is a derivative of constancy so it also follows the trend...

eta: sorry this had already been said but I was behind

Message Edited by Raskls on 04-02-2009 02:44 PM
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

I agree with you that Prof Chilton is up to no-good.  What is this conference he is going to attend and how will it effect Connie?  Janine is also someone I am confused about.  She is trying too hard to be Connie's friend - not a mentor. 

Liz seems to be a much freer spirit than Connie - more like Grace but with a definite goal to strive for.  I had read a book by Megan Chance  (SUSANNAH MORROW) Which is also about the Salem Witch trials.  The Rev Parris and the teen aged girls are the central characters in that book.  For me, this has given this book more credence and believability. I find the garden to be extremely spooky but very necessary for the story.  Connie and Sam seem like a good match and I think, Sam will have a very important part in solving the mystery of Deliverance. 

Arlo is also a main character.  Considering the way he "found" Connie.  Did Deliverance also have a dog and how does all this tie into the garden.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Frequent Contributor
Danimal79
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

it's funny though..if Arlo is Connie's "familiar," she doesn't seem particularly in-tune with him. Lyra was so in tune with Pantalaimon.   Maybe it's just that I'm a dog owner and so it could be that Connie strikes me as not being a very authentic dog owner (I feel stupid even saying this but when she came home from her oral examinations, she didn't take Arlo out.  wouldn't he have been cooped up at home all day?).  But, beyond being a dog owner, if Arlo is some sort of extension of Connie...you'd think there would be a stronger or more obvious connection there... (but, I'm one of those weird dog people so I probably shouldn't talk!). :smileyvery-happy: 

Danimal

Message Edited by Danimal79 on 04-02-2009 05:59 PM
Author of Chronic Stimulation- a diary chronicling every day life with a recently implanted neurostimulator (for severe chronic pain).

Frequent Contributor
Danimal79

[ Edited ]

Oh..I meant to mention before that I really liked the way Ms. Howe incorporated the history of the Salemn witch panic into her dialogue with Sam.  I didn't know anything about how it started so it saved me from having to Google.  Obviously, Ms. Howe meant to educate the reader probably figuring the average reader doesn't know much about how the whole thing started..so I appreciated that.

Danimal

Message Edited by Danimal79 on 04-02-2009 05:59 PM

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6 - Names

A thought just occured to me.  The names so far are Deliverance, Mercy, and Grace...Could Connie's actually name be Constance and she shortens it to Connie?  Her name would fall right into the naming convention. 

I'm not sure if this has any bearing, but thought it was an interesting possibility.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6 - Names

blkeyesuzi wrote:

A thought just occured to me.  The names so far are Deliverance, Mercy, and Grace...Could Connie's actually name be Constance and she shortens it to Connie?  Her name would fall right into the naming convention. 

I'm not sure if this has any bearing, but thought it was an interesting possibility.

I just read in a previous post where someone already mentioned this possibility.  My apologies to the poster (Danimal79).  That's what I get for posting before trying to catch up on the reading...there are just soooo many posts to get through sometimes...I get a little ahead of myself.   
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

ladybug74 wrote:

I do not like the extra flap inside the cover of the book. It gets in my way every time I start reading. I thought it was cool at first because I liked the look of it, but I have been tempted to cut off the extra flap the more it gets in my way. Hopefully this is only on the ARCs of this book.

I did like the look of the cover, though. I agree with the others that I would have picked this book up to read the description from the cover alone.

I use it as a bookmark. I tuck in the pages when I am done reading to hold my place & while I am reading, I just tuck it in some of the back pages & it works out really well!

Stephanie

Hey Stephanie;

Maybe I am a odd ball but I love the flap. It is perfect to use as a bookmark and if not using it that way it folds perfectly on  the last page. I do love the cover alot just like you. 

Contributor
belle1976
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

VeraC wrote:

...for the life of me I can't see how she (and Liz) would decide to spend a night at a house they had never seen before without checking ahead to see if it electricity, a telephone.... or even a solid floor to walk on.  Wouldn't there be rats, spiders, snakes (more than the one token garden snake) and wouldn't she want to at least get a chance to sweep through the place before deciding to crash on the floor for the night?  Other than this, I am really enjoying the book.  Did anyone else pick up on the shock she received when she picked up the bible and the key came out?  This wasn't really explained, so I suspect it's a clue of something coming down the road.

Vera

My sentiments exactly Vera! No way could I have slept in that house the first night...maybe never. I was hoping someone else would comment on the physical shock when she found the key and I'm  anxious to see if there is more about this later. 

Like many other comments posted, I've been trying to reconcile Connie's and Liz's education with their unquestioning acceptance of the vegetable garden and running water.  I too had to think that someone called ahead to have the water turned on.  I wasn't aware about the need for electric pumps and all that though. 

I love Arlo!  He makes a great addition to the story. I thought witches had cats as familiars though, but my knowledge only comes from children's stories/Disney movies not any serious study of witches.

Any other Harry Potter fans in this group?  All of I could think of when Connie was telling Liz about mandrake was the scene in HP where the students had to put on ear protection to repot their mandrakes and the little roots came out screaming mad...LOL.

Teresa

Me too!  I was having trouble concentrating while I was reading because my mind kept drifting to Harry Potter and trying to remember what the Mandrake root was for! 

PB684
0 Kudos

belle1976 wrote:

Me too!  I was having trouble concentrating while I was reading because my mind kept drifting to Harry Potter and trying to remember what the Mandrake root was for! 

In HP they used Mandrake root to wake up the people that were stunned by the Basilisk

PB684:smileyhappy:

PB684
TRJ4SQ

januttall wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

Interestingly enough, I did some further research and found that there actually was a Deliverance Dane accused of witchcraft in 1692. A copy of the Nathaniel Dane’s petition for restitution for Deliverance is available via the Salem witchcraft Project at:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft/archives/MA135/115.html

And so we are left with the sad outcome of Goody Dane...

Thank you for sharing this link!  Your research is better than mine:smileywink: I hadn't come up with anything yet!

There are over 100 references to Deliverance Dane on the google books site. You might check it out if interested in further research. This site is awesome! Good Luck!

http://books.google.com/books?ei=tWHVSfGDN6KwMbaXhOYO&ct=result&q=%22deliverance+dane%22&btnG=Search...

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

Laura,

If you are using IE you can select the "large" link from the page to load this version. When the image loads on mine it's small but if I hold my mouse in the lower right corner of the doc I get a square with arrows. Clicking on this blows it up. Hope that helps!

Great!  It worked!  I learned something new.  Thanks!  

Are you planning to ask the author about this document?  I would be curious to know if she know of its existence.

Hey Laura,  I use this a lot when trying to read old census documents. My eyes aren't what they used to be. :smileywink: I'm glad it worked!

I hadn't planned on asking the author about the doc. You can if you'd like. I'd be curious to know as well. I just assumed she did background research since the is her particular area of study.

You might want to check my post about google books. there are many more references to Deliverance Dane there. Have fun!:smileyhappy: