Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Re: Chpt 1-6, my thoughts

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Having said that, there is still so much that we don't know - I'm still strongly feeling that something is up with Prof. Chilton.

Amanda -

I aso feel there is something up with Prof. Chilton. I can't help but think that he is hoping she will have some work done that he can present at the Colonial Association. On p 70 as Connie leaves their meeting she describes his smile as "hungry." Hmmm!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6

HI, I am really enjoying this book. I have got to chapter six. Connie has found some stuff on Deliverance and is looking for more. I too think that Prof. Chilton is up to something. I think he is afraid that Connie may show him up somehow.

I like Connie. Even though she seems shy, she also seems very determined to get her degree and her Doctorate. She wants to know about her family which Deliverance may be. That is one question that I would like to know about.

I am looking forward to more. I am determined to get caught up.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

mooks wrote:
When Sam shows Connie the TETRAGRAMMATON, Connie realizes that not only had people believed in the existence of witches but there were some people that sought to deflect or avoid harmful spells by casting spells of their own.  Witchcraft became more than a manifestation of discontent or a subversion of the social order.  I thought it was an interesting and important point that the witch trials and hysteria occured before the Scientific Revolution and that at that time there was no comprehension of causation.  Instead witchcraft was a force that people believed in and affected their behavior. 

I found it very enlightening that this craft involved so much of Judaic & Christian symbolism and practices.Especially since the Puritans saw witchcraft as being blasphemous against the church practices. Jo

Reader
dasuzuki
0 Kudos

I agree Prof. Chilton seems a little shady.  I was wondering if he wants to steal her work for that conference he was talking about on the phone.  I can't imagine staying in a house without electricity though that would drive me nuts.  Plus I don't know about trying to do all that clean up on my own.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: Chpt 1-6, my thoughts

kpatton wrote:

Arlo is actually one of my favorite characters.  Knowing that I am further into the book than some readers, I will only say that it feels like Arlo is significant in some way.  He is a companion to Connie as well as a protector.

Kathy

I love Arlo, he's just kind of there!  It's interesting how he happened to find Connie more than the other way around.  Jo

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

dasuzuki wrote:
I agree Prof. Chilton seems a little shady.  I was wondering if he wants to steal her work for that conference he was talking about on the phone.  I can't imagine staying in a house without electricity though that would drive me nuts.  Plus I don't know about trying to do all that clean up on my own.

I was thinking the same thing about Chilton.  Definitely not to be trusted,

As for the house with no electricity......I found the idea intriquing but I don't think that I could do it alone.  Jo

Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

dasuzuki wrote:

I'm a little behind on the discussions, so I don't know if it was brought up earlier...but I agree with your comment about Chilton stealing Connie's work.  He's applying too much pressure and all his books regarding alchemy has me wondering.

Despite all the praise for this book, I have to admit that I had a hard time getting through the first couple of chapters.  Connie's interview and the descriptions of faculty members seemed to drag on.  I started to enjoy the book after Connie discovered Granna's house.

Contributor
jillhubbs
0 Kudos

I agree, well said on the we see what we want to see comment.  I have truly loved reading this book and while there are a few points that I simply can't believe - a tomato garden after 20 years for example, If I continue to think of your phrase it will help me get past those few details and allow me to just enjoy the story.  
Frequent Contributor
maryfrancesa
0 Kudos

I think that someone was paying for stuff at the house>  I agree why would Liz and Connie stay at the house if it was that bad and the dog also.  Wondered what Arlo felt about all the debris hanging around, no mention of that
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

I am so glad you mentioned the use of some words you didn't know. I agree, it's funny but I don't usually find words that I don't know but this was fun to learn something new. Kudos to the author for doing it in a way I was comfortable with.
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

I'm truly enjoying this book!

In the beginning scenes of the 1690's, I am totally put off by the courtroom scene. The man who would be the prosecution is quite judgemental, almost immediately. It seems, as most things in Salem, that everyone wanted to jump on the bandwagon to persecute people.

Connie and Liz seem to have a good relationship...they are at ease, comfortable with each other, and it's nice to see that...how many people would come with you to spend a night in a house that has mushrooms growing out of the floor and snakes slithering about?  Not me, most certainly, no matter HOW good a friend you are to me!

Arlo is a funny little dog...he seems pretty empathetic...he does his own thing, but comes back all the time.

The vivid daydreams seem to be flashbacks...but you also get a sense of clairvoyance...she "sees" things as they are happening. When she is "imagining" her mother doing something, chances are, Claire IS doing that.

Contributor
KimberlyH

I greatly enjoyed this first look book.  Most of the books that I read are from the historical fiction category,  so this was a comfortable read for me.

There seems to be a lot of focus on the house ~ water, garden and such.  I did not find the running water a problem at all.  Many old water systems (as old as the romans) run on pressure.  The brown water reminds me of what comes out of our old pipes of school after the rain.  This house is like my great aunt's house.  She had running water only in the kitchen, no electricity and an outhouse.  One of my first lessons at her house was to look down to check for snakes before you sat down.  Since there was only running water in the kitchen, we had "cat baths" ~ water in a basin and a washcloth. 

The nice thing about historical fiction is that there is a jumping point in history that the author finds and the story is spun around it.  This house feels like the start of this story spinning. 

The open scenes with Martha passing and Connie's exam provided good groundwork.  I was quickly pulled into the book.

Arlo appears to provide a silent force in Connie's life.  He is always with her but does not appear with a strong force.  However, there is something to be said about an animal choosing a human.  Animals posses a sixth sense.  Did Arlo  pick Connie to take care of him or does he need to take care of her?

When you look at the work that Connie's mother, Grace, does, it is easy to look at the daydreams that Connie is having in the house as her walking through residual auras.  Is that chair you are sitting on your favorite chair?  Sit in it everyday?  Some would say that that chair will maintain the energy of your aura after you are gone.  The author is definitely laying down some powerful feelings for the history of those that have lived in this house.  It feels as if this house and garden are still breathing with the energy left behind by those that have walked there in the past.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: Connie and Arlo

CathyB wrote:

I didn't even consider the possibility of the garden and the plumbing being out of whack. I assumed that since the book is about the salem witch trials and the author seems to be going down the path that witchcraft may have been practiced that there was something special about the house. Enchanted perhaps - for lack of another word.

CathyB

They were my immediate thoughts also.  I got so wrapped up in the storyline that I didn't even question it at first.My reaction was more of 'I hope they don't get poisoned'.  Jo

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:

PB684 wrote:

Has anyone else picked up on the fact that the building that Connie and Liz inhabit at Harvard, Saltonstall Court, bears the same name as the cross-examining lawyer in Deliverance Dane's trial in 1682?

I didn't even realize that, but now that I look back I see the connection.  Hopefully we will find out more about that.

Good observation!

Contributor
dmt14
0 Kudos

I am in love with this book. When I recieved it I couldn't wait to read it. I was drawn in immediately to the past. Then the present. You set up the book very nicely. I can't wait to find out what has happened and what will happen when they find out what has happened.
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

So many discussions about this book.WOW! I have to tell you this book has been one of my most productive and wonderful readings in First Look forums.

Connie is a fascinating character as well as Liz and Arlo. Studying symbology of the names I realized Arlo x Connie x Liz have a narrow connection. Connie (which sounds similar to cone) represents the top of the pyramid, the sun, the one who leads all the investigation to supernatural and lightens it. Liz is (representing a flower, which for Egyptians is a kind of reminder of death and a stimulus to enjoyment of life) the image of soul, the essence, the center, perhaps the equilibrium when Connie doubts about so many questions. For me she and Arlo are kinds of Connie's guides, both with their own knowledges. And Arlo, as told in the specific topic about it, is the one that connects the supernatural and the humans' world, a sort of guardian.

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

Tomatogate

I've been waiting for this day for a while now. I woke early and anxiously went out to my garden. It is now early June and I just came back inside from my western Massachusetts garden totally:smileysad: disappointed in not finding any tomatoes ready for the picking. I must say that there is something magical going there in that I did find a couple of palm trees and 7' high bananas among other tropical delights in my "thumb your nose at winter tropical garden".
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"