Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 1-6

I think that this is the best first look book that I have read so far.  It did bother me a little when Connie came to the house and slept there the first night with what appeared to be minimal clean-up.  I kept thinking about the amount of dust and animal debris etc that would have accumulated in the house over the 20 years would have made it unliveable.  It hadnt really thought about the water until I read other posts.  

Anyway, I am liking the switching back from past to present and the parallels between the two stories. I dont know alot about the witch trials and would love to learn more about them. My only experience recently was when we went to a re-enactment of a witch trial in Williamsburg VA recently.  The description in the book seems to match what we read about the court.  

I am looking forward to reading the next section. I am forcing myself to wait until next weekend to do so 

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

Any other Harry Potter fans in this group?  All of I could think of when Connie was telling Liz about mandrake was the scene in HP where the students had to put on ear protection to repot their mandrakes and the little roots came out screaming mad...LOL.

Teresa

Yes Teresa, I am a BIG Harry Potter fan and that was exactly what I was thinking at the time. As I recall, many of the plants in Sophia's garden were mentioned in Harry Potter.

PB684:smileywink:

PB684
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:

PB684 wrote:

kren250 wrote:

I didn't think the house thing was very believable, either. In a small town, this house would've attracted notice. And I especially didn't buy the part where Liz turns on the faucet, and water comes out! The city would've turned the water off years before, if no one is paying the bills on the house. Plus, if the water was still turned on the pipes probably would've frozen and burst during the winter. And then there's the part where Connie is feeling on the wall for a light switch. Surely she would've realized the house would've had the power turned off long ago, if no one is paying the bill?! It was very convenient when it turns out the house isn't wired for electricity anyway.

krb2g wrote:

The plot point that was hardest for me to accept was the contrived way that Connie ended up at her grandmother's house in Marblehead. They could abandon it and not pay taxes for twenty years, and it's available, untouched (no squatters or kids making drug deals or anything) for Connie to clean, but it has to be done RIGHT NOW or ELSE? And then Grace is able to talk Connie (who seems to be remarkably focused and clear-headed about her school work) into doing it with almost no difficulty?

Although I see your point I think maybe you are getting too literal. I think sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy a fantasy such as this. Another way to look at it might be to see the house and property as magical...after all, it belonged to a long line of witches!

-PB684

I'm editing my message because I've just read several other's posts and see that this has already been stated...sorry for the repetition:smileytongue: It's a little difficult not to respond before I've read everyone's posts but I'll try!

Message Edited by PB684 on 03-30-2009 07:08 PM

I don't think you should worry about reading all the posts before responding - people have mentioned in the community room that they like personal responses to what they've posted.  I like to respond as I read or I forget who I wanted to say something to and then I don't end up posting anything!  In my opinion, just go for it!

Thanks for the encouragement! I, too, find that if I don't respond as I am reading posts I totally get lost and forget what I wanted to say!

PB684:smileyhappy:

PB684
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

I was intrigued by the fact that the house had no electricity.  I know it's not "believable" but isn't that what novels are for?  For me, I found it easier to imagine life in the 1600's and I bet Connie did too.
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

Re: House & Garden

I thought it might be a good question to ask the author and editor:-). I've already finished the book.
januttall wrote:

kren250 wrote:

It seems odd to me though that Connie and Liz wouldn't notice that things are "off" in the house. If Connie had said to Liz, "Wow, it sure is strange things are blooming in the garden in early June, and we have running water in a non-electrified house that's been abandoned for twenty years!", I totally would've gone with the idea that the house was bewitched. But the fact that the characters don't notice it leaves me reason to believe it is an oversight on the author's and editor's part.

'

I understand where you're coming from, but I have to agree to disagree on this one.  I feel it's all a part of the greater scheme.  Since the author is from the area in which the story takes place, I am finding it hard to believe otherwise.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if indeed that is the case.  If not, it will certainly be a good question for Katherine!

Message Edited by januttall on 03-30-2009 07:39 PM

Correspondent
retromom

First off I have to say I love the feel of the book. I like the cover and the heavy pages. The spine I am finding stiff but it's getting better as I read more of the book.

I like the way Katherine Howe has the two time periods flowing smoothly. I don't find it difficult to go back and forth between the time periods as I have with other books I have recently read. Her writing style keeps me wanting to read more. Some of the large words I found distracting at first but I got used to her style quickly.

My favorite character so far is Connie. I find her very brave to stay in that house. I don't think I would have. The snakes would have been it for me. The inconsistancies with the house I figured had to do with the house being bewitched. The fact that the dog found the house and felt right at home makes me wonder if he is Dog or reincarnation of Dog. There seems to be a supernatural power at work here. Connie's daydreams I see as visions which makes me wonder if she is related to Deliverance. There are many correlations to both stories and it will be interesting to see how they play out.

I am enjoying the book very much but finding it very hard not to read ahead.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

I'm with PB684 about the posts.  I find that as I read the other posts, that what I wanted to say has already been said.  What to do......

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I agree with both of you.  For a smart girl, Connie seems clueless about the strange happenings so far.  Why doesn't she question the vision she sees of a man and woman in Granna's garden?  The strange sensation in her hand when she touches the Bible in Granna's house?  Why isn't she jumping out of her skin?!

pen21 wrote:

kate23 wrote:
I forgot to mention that I can't believe, unless I missed something, that Connie didn't even think about the bottles in her granna's kitchen when she reviewed the list for Deliverance Dane in probate.

I totally agree with you. It seemed so obvious.

Hopefully Connie will catch up with us in the coming chapters.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Wow, you have already finished the book - I am impressed!  I find that I am reading a little slower than I normally do so as not to miss the slightest detail.  I also thought it was an oversight on the author's part that Connie doesn't question the strange things in the house.  It seems like the author was more interested in laying out the details for the reader, instead of making the main character more believable in her observations.  Just my opinion.

kren250 wrote:
I thought it might be a good question to ask the author and editor:-). I've already finished the book.
januttall wrote:

kren250 wrote:

It seems odd to me though that Connie and Liz wouldn't notice that things are "off" in the house. If Connie had said to Liz, "Wow, it sure is strange things are blooming in the garden in early June, and we have running water in a non-electrified house that's been abandoned for twenty years!", I totally would've gone with the idea that the house was bewitched. But the fact that the characters don't notice it leaves me reason to believe it is an oversight on the author's and editor's part.

'

I understand where you're coming from, but I have to agree to disagree on this one.  I feel it's all a part of the greater scheme.  Since the author is from the area in which the story takes place, I am finding it hard to believe otherwise.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if indeed that is the case.  If not, it will certainly be a good question for Katherine!

Message Edited by januttall on 03-30-2009 07:39 PM

Contributor
LeisaPS
0 Kudos

retromom wrote:

First off I have to say I love the feel of the book. I like the cover and the heavy pages. The spine I am finding stiff but it's getting better as I read more of the book.

I like the way Katherine Howe has the two time periods flowing smoothly. I don't find it difficult to go back and forth between the time periods as I have with other books I have recently read. Her writing style keeps me wanting to read more. Some of the large words I found distracting at first but I got used to her style quickly.

My favorite character so far is Connie. I find her very brave to stay in that house. I don't think I would have. The snakes would have been it for me. The inconsistancies with the house I figured had to do with the house being bewitched. The fact that the dog found the house and felt right at home makes me wonder if he is Dog or reincarnation of Dog. There seems to be a supernatural power at work here. Connie's daydreams I see as visions which makes me wonder if she is related to Deliverance. There are many correlations to both stories and it will be interesting to see how they play out.

I am enjoying the book very much but finding it very hard not to read ahead.

I agree....I also love the feel and cover of the book, but am disliking the stiffness of the spine -- it's so hard to hold it to read in the bathtub!! 

I like the way that Ms. Howe uses the dialect of the residents in the 1600s ("Marther", for example) and the changes in time periods only leaves the reader in suspense for the next chapter, wanting to read on to see how these time periods will reventually relate.

I, too was a bit skeptical about the house. After 20 years, I would imagine that raccoons would move in, along with the snakes and mice and pigeons, etc. and that house would be a total mess with broken windows and mould, creepy crawlies and inches of dust. I certainly wouldn't want to stay there....  And food??? I'd have to have food and where would I put my milk in the heat of summer for my tea?  And how would I boil water for my tea?  (I also asked my husband about the water...if it was a well, they would still need electricity to run the pump to get the water out of the tap.....) 

Oh, well, this is a novel, a work of fiction based on fact, and it is still extremely good! I am about halfway through now and trying to pace myself, but it is hard.....

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ABH47 wrote:

One thing I've had a bit of trouble with was the 1682 Salem trial where there were many female witnesses reading their hand written statements. I thought back then that women were not as literate as men and that, even if the women could read, having been taught from the Bible, they most likely would not have known how to write. I would appreciate knowing if anyone has information on this, as I tried to research it and couldn't find much.

But all in all, it is a most entertaining story and I am looking forward to finishing it!

Hi, I found this entry on page 156 of this document where it states that Puritan women were required to read the Bible in it's entirety once a year and the Puritans feeling about literacy. Hope it helps http://books.google.com/books?id=9XUKUkulSkIC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=literacy+in+puritanical+massachu...

Inspired Contributor
pode

Also, the judge in the trial is Samuel and the love interest is Sam.
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

I actually wish now that I hadn't read ahead, and instead had stuck with the schedule. It's harder (and not as much fun!) to participate in the discussion when you already know whta will happen. I guess I'll know next time it works best for me to read the scheduled chapters only!

bookowlie wrote:

Wow, you have already finished the book - I am impressed!  I find that I am reading a little slower than I normally do so as not to miss the slightest detail.  I also thought it was an oversight on the author's part that Connie doesn't question the strange things in the house.  It seems like the author was more interested in laying out the details for the reader, instead of making the main character more believable in her observations.  Just my opinion.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

PB684 wrote:

Ok, I've finally finished reading all the posts in this section and want to know how you all feel about the connection between Connie and Grace, specifically the way Connie always seems to know exactly what Grace is doing when they talk on the phone. At first I thought it was just that she knows her mother so well but I am starting to think it is more than that.

PB684:smileyhappy:

I also caught that and thought to where Deliverance stood before the judge and knew about his toe and I thought hmmmm, so I'm hoping that will be cleared up later on in the story.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I have to agree with a lot of the posts about the realities of tomatoes in June in New England. It just doesn't happen! But, since this is a work of fiction, the reader does have to suspend disbelief for the sake of the storytelling. I don't find that it detracts from the overall enjoyment of the book. I am really enjoying the story so far.

Professor Chilton gives me an uneasy feeling also. I think he is planning on stealing Connie's work in some way. Someone posted that Connie is a little naive for someone so smart. It seems people with high IQ's don't necessarily have the most common sense when it comes to the real world.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I totally agree that this has been the best FL book so far.  This one is just so compelling.  My kids are sort of leading a Lord of the Flies existence while I get through it.

Despite it's minor (?) flaws, I would definitely suggest it to people.  It's a good read.  I particularly think the timing is good for it's publication as it's a great vacation book.

Cheers,

Amanda

ilenekm wrote:

I think that this is the best first look book that I have read so far.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is such a great read. I was disappointed that Connie's mom had forgotten the importance of the day. Did you all know what a "fowler" was? All I could think was a chicken farmer. Live and Learn. This is a book that I know I will enjoy reading from cover to cover.
Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

I too enjoyed the complete description of the rambleshack overgrown area and the rare plants that would make one assume the owner of the house was possibly a spellcaster.  As far as those types of plants go, I have no idea if they grow untended for years and years, but I also think the "dinner ready to be picked" was a little out there. I'm wondering if this plays into the story at some point.......just an idea......your thoughts?
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

I also just finished the book last night.  I agree that it may be harder to participate in the discussion, but I couldn't stop reading! 

kren250 wrote:

I actually wish now that I hadn't read ahead, and instead had stuck with the schedule. It's harder (and not as much fun!) to participate in the discussion when you already know whta will happen. I guess I'll know next time it works best for me to read the scheduled chapters only!

bookowlie wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

That's so funny. I knew there was something about that sounding familiar but couldn't place it!!! Maybe that's a prerequisite for First Look choices, kind of like Hitchcock being someplace in each movie.......lol