dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14

CathyB wrote:

Thanks dhaupt! I knew they were three different suits that they talked about - the original with Deliverance vs Petford, the next was the Salem trials, and the third was Mercy vs Salem to clear her mothers name. Next time, I will look up in the book before trying from memory - my memory is not what it used to be as I get older :smileysad: - my husband keeps reminding me that I once had a good memory.

CathyB

You are very welcome. If it weren't for post-it notes I couldn't remember anything

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

HI, I am finsihing chapter 8, and also at nine. Connie is having lunch with Chilton. He seems way too interested in what she have found. I do think he is shady and then some. I think he may try and steal her research and take to credit for himself.

I continue to wonder what Deliverance and Mercy have to do with Connie. Are they some long lost relatives or what.

I am really enjoying this book.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

HI, I am finsihing chapter 8, and also at nine. Connie is having lunch with Chilton. He seems way too interested in what she have found. I do think he is shady and then some. I think he may try and steal her research and take to credit for himself.

I continue to wonder what Deliverance and Mercy have to do with Connie. Are they some long lost relatives or what.

I am really enjoying this book.

ReadingPatti

I know, but I'm not telling  :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

i  usually dont mind  switching between past and present. but it seems like it is taking a longgggggggg time to really get somewhere.  connie is doing the research to find the book.but in the meantime  i think it kind of drags along.  when she came home to find the circle on her door. i thought it would  get suspense ful but it really hasnt. i guess i havent went far enough.
Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

i am wondering does this mean connie has mystical powers. because of the incident with the flower. and does her mom have them to.
Correspondent
DiniB

I know I am a week behind schedule, but I want to make sure I participate so I can be included in future First Look selections.

Overall, I like the pace of this section better than 1-6.  The story is very detailed and puzzling in the first section and all of a sudden, things start falling into place in chapter 7 and onward.

My hunch regarding Chilton's interest in alchemy is playing out in this section.  What particular aspect of alchemy, I, like Connie, still haven't figured out yet. Is he really wanting to create gold?  I think for what started as research for Chilton has now turned into obsession.

The receipt book is a recipe book of remedies and or spells passed down through generations of the Dane ancestors. The book symbolizes misery, isolation and danger. She calls it the "wretched book" (p 183).  Prudence associates the book with danger to the husbands in the family, "Her father had gone in an instant,washed away to sea, and her mother's father, too, felled with all the men who married into her line" (p 183). By selling the book, she hopes to get rid of the stigma cast on her family.

Goodreads ID: dinib
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

DiniB wrote:

I know I am a week behind schedule, but I want to make sure I participate so I can be included in future First Look selections.

Overall, I like the pace of this section better than 1-6.  The story is very detailed and puzzling in the first section and all of a sudden, things start falling into place in chapter 7 and onward.

My hunch regarding Chilton's interest in alchemy is playing out in this section.  What particular aspect of alchemy, I, like Connie, still haven't figured out yet. Is he really wanting to create gold?  I think for what started as research for Chilton has now turned into obsession.

The receipt book is a recipe book of remedies and or spells passed down through generations of the Dane ancestors. The book symbolizes misery, isolation and danger. She calls it the "wretched book" (p 183).  Prudence associates the book with danger to the husbands in the family, "Her father had gone in an instant,washed away to sea, and her mother's father, too, felled with all the men who married into her line" (p 183). By selling the book, she hopes to get rid of the stigma cast on her family.

Hang in there DiniB!  I think there are others on your same "track".  It's worth finishing for sure.  Starting tomorrow I can actually comment according to the schedule.  But I have been waiting for the day I could freely post without giving anything away.  I will not read ahead in the future.  However I saw somewhere when someone had read ahead and then found out there was a schedule then read 2 books while waiting for the schedule to catch up.  That wasn't good either.  It's been a roller coaster!!  But it's been so worth it.
ponie
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

The door - I think the symbol was burned by the blue light she thought was from a meteor (pg. 171). The perfect circle leads me to believe that it was done supernaturally, and the timing is right. I looked up the words and they seem to denote a helper of God. So, I wonder if this is a sign of protection rather than something bad. I could be way off base, but think there are forces on both sides of finding The Physick Book!

Thanks for pointing that out.  I barely remember reading the paragraph, but after re-reading it, your theory totally supports the text.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

I really am going to get caught up today. I am wondering what Chilton is up too. He seems way too interested in Connie's finds. I believe that he doesn''t have anything to give to this conference he is going to. He seems very suspicious.

I am looking forward to more of this book. I am also looking forward to the next first lokk book. I am so glad that I joined this club.

I love reading the comments.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

PB684 wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

skiibunny1213 wrote:
I also found it interesting that Connie could sense/see what Grace was doing over the phone without asking.  It made me think that maybe Grace seems distant from her daughter not because there is tension on her part but more because maybe she doesn't need to ask Connie what she's been up to... you know? 

I made note of that as well. It has been. Funny that nobody questions it. It probably always has been like with them that so it doesn't seem strange to them.  

Good point:smileywink: I hadn't thought of it that way! I noticed that Connie could always tell what Grace was up to but I hadn't thought about it being the other way around.

PB684

I didn't think of it this way either.  Great point and thought!

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

Connie and her mother have a special connection. I think Grace is aware of it but Connie isn't - yet. It seems as if Grace is trying to lead Connie to discover her abilities in subtle ways. Connie is so scientific and literal, Grace is probably afraid if she told her she wouldn't believe it.
http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

Inspired Contributor
kaylami

Have your feelings for Chilton changed?

Nope...always disliked him.  Felt he was trying to throw her under the bus during her interview and he just gets worse.  An arrogant jerk.

What is the "receipt" book? How has it been used by this line of women? What does it mean to Prudence? 

For me the receipt book is a record book or "recipe book" kept by generations of this family passed down from daughter to daughter for who knows how long.  In it they keep a record of what herbs & charms work for different situations.  I think each generation probably stumbled across something new and made note.  For Prudence I think it means trouble.  She only sees the pain it has caused in her family and I think she wants to get rid of it spare her own daughter from discovering the family secret.  Maybe if it's gone, they can live as a "normal" family.

Connie's research turns up Prudence's journal to give us another glimpse into the lives of Mercy, Prudence, and Patty. Do you have a sense of what Prudence was like? 

I thinks Prudence was a "matter of fact" person.  She was resistant to spells and charms even though she had probably witnessed then in action.  I believe she wanted to keep her family safe and meld into the community around them, forgetting the past.

How close is Connie's understanding of these women's lives, compared to our own? How does it feel to have more information than Connie does?

Surprisingly, I think the reader is more connected because of the interlude sections of the book.  I would think Connie with all of her education, and her dreams or visions would be more in touch with these women.  It's has really frustrated me that a woman who is supposed to be so intelligent misses so many clues to the past and the book.  These are not clues exclusive to the reader.  I find myself saying "DUH!" a lot.

Connie and Sam's relationship continues to grow. How is Sam helping Connie's research? Is Sam a romantic? 

I think Sam provides Connie with an unbiased person to share her research findings.  He is truly interested in helping her and providing encouragement.  I feel that Sam is a die hard romantic.  Which is great for Connie to feel a little love and support especially with her mom so far away and Chilton coming down on her.

Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

I felt like the symbol on the door was more a symbol of protection and not something for Connie to be afraid of.

I think the book she is looking for is a medicine book, but also a book of potions. It is handed down from woman to woman through the family line, but there seems to be a sense of animosity towards it with the daughter who sells it - animosity or possibly misunderstanding at its importance to the family line.

It seems like all is not lost, though, as we see at the end of Chapter 14.

I like how Connie and Sam's relationship is moving very slowly. I like the way it is developing. 

I think that Chilton is too dependent on Connie and her work. It seems that he is looking to her to save his career and his reputation. I just don't think she knows this yet.

What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Contributor
kate23
0 Kudos

Since I'm jumping in so late, I'm not sure if someone else commented on this but I chuckled when on pg.139 Sam and Connie are discussing today's perception of witch "stuff" - brooms, black cats. Connie comments "Well, the cat is just a stand-in for a familiar. But they weren't always only cats." Made me think of Arlo and the powers he might possess...
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

kate23 wrote:
Since I'm jumping in so late, I'm not sure if someone else commented on this but I chuckled when on pg.139 Sam and Connie are discussing today's perception of witch "stuff" - brooms, black cats. Connie comments "Well, the cat is just a stand-in for a familiar. But they weren't always only cats." Made me think of Arlo and the powers he might possess...

I agree with you. I liked the Arlo character in the book. In that scene it does make you chuckle. It was good interaction with Connie and Sam.

Reader 2
Jenn13trs

I am a little behind in posting this, I apologize...

I just have to start out by saying as this book goes on, I come to distrust and dislike Chilton less and less.

I have somewhat a sense of what Prudence was like. She obviously didn't write down her feelins and daily happenings, in detail, as you;d expect a journal to be. Instead she wrote it more like an almanac - the weather, what food or supplies she was given in return for delivering babies, etc.

I like knowing more than Connie does, but as the story goes on I am assumung Connie will eventually make the connections and learn what we as readers knew of in advance.

The engraving on her door is a symbol or manifestation. Some Wiccan groups tried to duplicate it without success. I think that someone from the past that Connie is digging into somehow made it appear there to keep her safe.

I think Sam is good for Connie. He helps her see a different side of her research, or see things from a different angle, different point of view. I think that he is a romantic, just not in the traditional sense.

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded

I always had a little bit of a suspicion about Chilton's "intentions" with Connie and her research.  I think he's a bit of a womanizer with the "girl" comments.  I wasn't at all surprised that he got angry with Connie.  He seems like a very selfish man who would probably want the book for his own gain and wouldn't give Connie any credit for it at all.  He's a superficial person and doesn't really respect Connie as a person.  I don't think he even has the slightest interest in Connie's research unless it helps him out.

The "receipt" book is the recipe book for all the herbs, spices and other ingredients needed to cure the various ailments that have been practiced by Deliverance's family over the centuries.  It's a spell book.  To Prudence it means doom for all the males (husbands) in the family.  It means the end of ridicule and scorn on her family and a better life for her family if she rids herself of it.

Prudence had a really "simple" life.  She didn't write very much about her true feelings or her deepest thoughts.  She lived up to her name.  Everything was just the basics of life.  The weather, babies she delivered and the things that were significant - death of her father and mother she showed no emotion as if it was an everyday occurence.  It seemed that her past experiences in her life hardened her.

She's probably alot closer to their lives than her own.  Her future is so uncertain.  She doesn't know if she'll be teaching, where she'll be living, if she'll have her research topic or a love interest. 

The simple was conjured up by someone and is a circle with the symbol of the alpha and omega that was burned on to the door.  I think maybe the souls of Connie's ancestors were trying to tell her something about the book.  However, I have an inward suspicion that it was Professor Chilton trying to scare Connie away from finding the book so he can find it himself and get his accolades from the university instead of ridicule for his theory on alchemy.

Sam is really helping on the background of find Mercy and in showing Connie different markers around town.  He seems to be guiding Connie and pushing her to go forward in searching for what she needs.  I don't think that Sam is a romantic.  He's an intellect like Connie and I think he's just a straight forward kinda guy although the stars view was nice.  He just kinda strikes me as a beer and peanuts type of guy.

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

I really never liked Chilton from the beginning.  He seemed patronizing and way to hung up on himself.  I realize that he was a "big wig" in the school and as such, was afforded the respect of such a prestigious position, but he was demeaning and obnoxious throughout.

When I read this part of the book, I disliked him even more...so POMPOUS to assume that Connie would do for him what he could not.  Of course, she DID continue the search for the book...but for HER purposes...which were not known at this time.

The receipt book, a recipe book was used to keep track of the remedies (recipes) used for healing. Some were truly simple recipes...others were spells...but the fact that they had this historical document in itself was amazing. 

I think that Connie realizes her connection with these women...but doesn't want to go through and see what she can do - I imagine it would be quite frightening to discover this in your own history...to know that one of your family was hanged for witchcraft!

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

I agree with both of you.  I actually had this question regarding Arlso going on my head in the first section thinking witches' familiars were cats.

pen21 wrote:

kate23 wrote:

I agree with you. I liked the Arlo character in the book. In that scene it does make you chuckle. It was good interaction with Connie and Sam.