Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14

I'm so happy that my book arrived and I am now caught up and able to share in the discussions.  The subject matter is really interesting and I love the glimpses into the past. 

What is the "receipt" book? How has it been used by this line of women? What does it mean to Prudence?

The receipt book is the recipe book for cures used by the healers in the family.  It seems that all of the women in the family have the gift of healing and, I'm sure, pass their knowledge down through the ages.  To Prudence, although she is a healer/midwife, the receipt book is the basis for all that has gone wrong in the last three generations.  

Connie's research turns up Prudence's journal to give us another glimpse into the lives of Mercy, Prudence, and Patty. Do you have a sense of what Prudence was like?

I think Prudence has been beaten down by circumstances.  Her grandmother was persecuted, the family turned into outcasts who were barely able to survive day-to-day life.  I think Prudence was a midwife only because she had no other options open to her and found no joy from her lot in life.  

What is the symbol on the front door, and how do you believe it got there? (This question is for those who haven't read past chapter 14!)

I have not read past chapter 14 and I think the symbol on the door was a warning of sorts put there by Dr. Chilton.  

Connie and Sam's relationship continues to grow. How is Sam helping Connie's research? Is Sam a romantic?

I like Sam and hope the he turns out to be a good guy.  Sam, in the beginning, spurred Connie into continuing to push on with her research.  

Now I'm off to catch up on all the comments posted for the last ten days.  I have a lot of reading to do, but didn't want to be influenced until I caught up. 
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I just wanted to add my thoughts about the symbol that was burned into the door of Granna's house.  I agree with several of the previous posts that this is a symbol of protection rather than one of evil.  Also, I don't think it was done by a person (or a person as we know them).  This thought came to mind when the woman in Lilith's Garden questioned Connie about how "perfect" the circle was and then she said nobody that she knew of in the Wicca community had been able to manifest a circle like the one Connie described.  Also, I am still uncertain about Connie's obvious dislike of this woman.
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Contributor
tammypennington
0 Kudos

Ok...well I had composed a msg before but it disappeared before I sent it (I think).  Forgive me if this is a dupe post.

At this point, I am of the opinion that the charm burned on the front door is a protective charm that was sent by Grace and that it was burned by the blue meteor like light she saw...

I think that Grace may know more about Chilton than she has told Connie and that Chilton will do ANYTHING to get his hands on the book.  

I'm off to read more...can't stand to wait until next week (and my husband is dying to read it after me)!  :smileyhappy:

Tammy in Seattle
Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-RESPONSE TO MODERATOR QUESTIONS CHAPTERS 7-14

1. This section opens with Connie telling Chilton of her source, and by the end of it, we know that Chilton is furious with Connie for not finding the "receipt" book. Have your feelings for Chilton changed?

I haven’t trusted him from the beginning but the more fervent he becomes, the more suspicious I become.

2. What is the "receipt" book? How has it been used by this line of women? What does it mean to Prudence?

The receipt book is an instruction book for making remedies and possibly contains methods of detecting ailments. The women in the family have used it as a study guide and educational tool to learn their healing trade. Prudence views the book not as a tool for prosperity, but as the root of all grief perpetuated on her family.

3. Connie's research turns up Prudence's journal to give us another glimpse into the lives of Mercy, Prudence, and Patty. Do you have a sense of what Prudence was like?

I get the impression that she is solemn, detached, shrewd, practical, cold, bitter and enduring.

4. How close is Connie's understanding of these women's lives, compared to our own?

I don’t think Connie really has a clue. Her focus has been on finding the book and not learning about the lives attached to the hands that held it.

5. How does it feel to have more information than Connie does?

It’s sometimes easy to forget that Connie is Interlude illiterate. One can only hope that she figures things out along the way.

6. What is the symbol on the front door, and how do you believe it got there? (This question is for those who haven't read past chapter 14!)

Obviously the markings were done by magical means but how so? Possible theories are all long shots and all farfetched:

1. Grace manifested it somehow because she was wary of Professor Chilton and Connie‘s safety.

2. It was always there on the front door and just not visible until now.

3. The house as an entity manifested the mandala to protect Connie.

4. Connie's ancestors reaching out from the grave?

7. Connie and Sam's relationship continues to grow. How is Sam helping Connie's research? Is Sam a romantic?

Sam’s enthusiasm and encouragement help keep Connie going. He gives her plenty of space and respects her thoughts while offering his own food for thought. He displays tendencies of a free spirit and free spirits are often romantics. Judging from his nighttime backyard excursion, the midnight swim and the sunset kiss, I would say a definite yes!

TRJ4SQ

DSaff wrote:

The door - I think the symbol was burned by the blue light she thought was from a meteor (pg. 171). The perfect circle leads me to believe that it was done supernaturally, and the timing is right. I looked up the words and they seem to denote a helper of God. So, I wonder if this is a sign of protection rather than something bad. I could be way off base, but think there are forces on both sides of finding The Physick Book!

Awesome correlation of events here! I really like what this idea suggests. Great job!

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Danimal79 wrote:

I agree with you, DSaff, I think the circle on the door and the meteor are connected.  For that matter, there seems to be a connection with the color blue.  The meteor was blue and, when Connie wondered what color her aura was (when talking on the phone with Grace), she thought she heard Grace murmur the word "blue," before hanging up.  Then, of course, there was the incident with the dandelion.."The blue light condensed into a pulsing, round orb between her hands, aiming crackling electric veins at a dry young dandelion seed on the ground." 

It's subtle but just a little something I noticed...

I was also thinking about the whole names thing and a possible connection with the symbol that was burned into the door.  I looked up the meaning of Elizabeth (which Liz is presumably short for).  Elizabeth is supposed to mean 'oath of God' and Samuel is supposed to mean "name of God."  Liz translated the words in the circle to mean "helper of God."  I know this seems a tenuous connection but I wanted to mention it nonetheless.

Excellent thought...Blue seems to be the in color! I do agree..

I have to say that I'm impressed with your forethought to check out Sam & Liz's names. We've all considered the implications of connectedness with all of the women and we know if plays a big part in the depth of the story. I think you are on to something big here! Congrats!

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

After reading many of the posts I decided to look some things up and I thought some of you might be interested in these websites:

http://bluemoonwicca.org/classes.html
http://www.spelwerx.com/color_correspondences.html

twj

Cool! Thanks!
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

It is really odd that no male children seem to be born to these households. With the deaths of their husbands, these women had to forge on alone in a society that wasn't very female friendly.

Good point! I picked up on this too.

Add the fact that it has been only one female child. Very curious indeed!

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

I have the same question.  Hopefully more will come up about the corn doll and the needle that was hidden in the skirt.  I can't imagine why the doll would have been mentioned, otherwise.  I'm just anxious to know more.  Also, is there a significance to the fact that the needle pricked her? or was that just a way to show that she had discovered the needle?

So many mysteries...I want to read on! 

I'm wondering if that little pin prick might be the catalyst for Connie's growing awareness??

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: The Horseshoe

thewanderingjew wrote:
I think that as I read further into the book, the reaffixing of the horseshoe above the door will probably turn out to be a very significant event. I also found an interesting comment about horseshoes at this website. The website itself has some pretty unusual links. It would seem that witchcraft is a flourishing business.
"However, in its function as an amulet for magical protection, especially over the doorways of barns and stables, the horseshoe usually points downward and it is said that "no witch will pass under it."

DSaff wrote:

Did anyone else find significance in Connie's fixing the horseshoe on pgs. 196-197? I loved the way she picked up the nail, clenched her jaw and pushed the horseshoe into alignment. Then she stepped back to admire it and uttered "Blessed be" to Arlo. Salem and some of its people are growing on her and this seems like a step to bring better luck.

We have a horseshoe over our garage door. This is cool info! Thanks!
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Grace

Skelly7645 wrote:

Dandelions-I assume that the dandelions sketch in Ch. 11 , and then it is smudged by a "drop from somewhere" must have symbolic meaning.  Are dandelions related to witchcraft in any way? Then, in Ch. 14 the whole episode with the reading of a recipe card and the flower (a dandelion) comes to life and then dies.

Hmmm...This is a really interesting question. Has anyone checked it out? I did a brief search but didn't find anything.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 9

ponie wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

The mushrooms must go!

She may NEED the mushrooms later!

Will check these other sites out and get back to you!

You're right! What WAS I thinking??:smileyvery-happy:

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 14

ponie wrote:
TRJ4SQ!  You are on a roll ths morning!!!  Great thoughts, further things to ponder!!!

Thanks! On a roll this morning too but will soon be rolling into bed! Can anyone else tell I'm a night owl?:smileytongue:
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 14

ponie wrote:

ponie wrote:
TRJ4SQ!  You are on a roll ths morning!!!  Great thoughts, further things to ponder!!!

a post to my own post - I can't help myself :smileyvery-happy: - I hope I am not committing a posting faux pas...

TRJ4SQ...good stuff...don't rest on your laurels, keep it coming!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Very funny Ponie!:smileyvery-happy:

You know I can't resist!

Wiki Answers....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_don't_rest_on_your_laurels_mean&src=ansTT

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 8

Fozzie wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

The bathroom scene didn't seem like it fit into the story well. I may have missed something. Any thoughts on this?

Could you give  page reference?  Thanks.

Sure! It's pages 119 & 120 where Connie spends several minutes in front of the bathroom mirror in an self degrading diatribe before meeting with the professor.
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: The house

Fozzie wrote:

chris227 wrote:

I just have a few random thoughs and notes I jotted down while I was reading that I wanted to mention.  About the house:

Okay I think that the house is extremely spooky and I would not be staying there alone (or probably at all) but on page 130 it says "the dried potted plants that hung motionless, like dried spiders, in the windows" which to me just made the house sound spookier.  Now at this point Connie had been in the house for a couple of weeks, why didn't she get rid of the dead plants?  And the garden is thriving but the houseplants are dead (I know I know no water, etc. but the garden doesn't give away to reason why should aything else in the house?).

I keep wondering why Connie just doesn't toss the dead houseplants out into the yard!  And now we know she has a compost pile, so dump them there!

Message Edited by Fozzie on 04-08-2009 12:02 PM

Maybe she'll bring them back to life later??
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

libralady wrote:
I just wanted to add my thoughts about the symbol that was burned into the door of Granna's house.  I agree with several of the previous posts that this is a symbol of protection rather than one of evil.  Also, I don't think it was done by a person (or a person as we know them).  This thought came to mind when the woman in Lilith's Garden questioned Connie about how "perfect" the circle was and then she said nobody that she knew of in the Wicca community had been able to manifest a circle like the one Connie described.  Also, I am still uncertain about Connie's obvious dislike of this woman.

I agree and disagree. In a previous post, I indicated that Grace was responsible for this. DSaff then brought my attention to the blue meteor light - which probably burned the symbol into the door. The circle was 'perfect' because Grace also has 'powers'. We know Grace but, we are only speculating that she is a descendant of Deliverance. I say speculate because nothing has been confirmed - eventhough the hints have been there from the previous chapters. I also think that a 'real witch' would not join a Wicca community'. One would not want to call attention to what one can do.

CathyB

Message Edited by CathyB on 04-09-2009 08:20 AM
Message Edited by CathyB on 04-09-2009 08:20 AM
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: Part I, Chapters 7 - 14-MY THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER 8

[ Edited ]

DSaff wrote:

I think the reference was to page 119 where Connie was trying to fix her hair and gather her courage before meeting Chilton. I thought it was appropriate and showed that Connie did have anxiety when not only meeting with Chilton, but when entering the Faculty Club.

Fozzie wrote:

TRJ4SQ wrote:

The bathroom scene didn't seem like it fit into the story well. I may have missed something. Any thoughts on this?

Could you give  page reference?  Thanks.

DSaff, Thanks for helping Fozzie out with the page number. I appreciate it!

While I agree that she was probably experiencing a great deal of anxiety, I don't think cutting herself down was the best way to deal with it. A self pep talk might have done more for her spirits & her confidence. Perhaps I'm only projecting my thoughts on how I would react in a similar situation.

Message Edited by TRJ4SQ on 04-09-2009 08:17 AM
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

TRJ4SQ wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

I have the same question.  Hopefully more will come up about the corn doll and the needle that was hidden in the skirt.  I can't imagine why the doll would have been mentioned, otherwise.  I'm just anxious to know more.  Also, is there a significance to the fact that the needle pricked her? or was that just a way to show that she had discovered the needle?

So many mysteries...I want to read on! 

I'm wondering if that little pin prick might be the catalyst for Connie's growing awareness??

Last weekend, I read The Crucible. There was a scene when Elizabeth Proctor was given a 'similar' doll. Later when the authorities showed up, they asked her whether or not she owned any 'poppet dolls', indicating that they were properties of witches. The doll was retrieved and one of the authorities was pricked with a needle that was left in the doll. An explanation was then given that the needle inflicted pain on a desired 'target' (person).

I think the doll is just there as another clue to being a 'witch'. :smileyvery-happy:

CathyB

Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I am enjoying the book but I am having a hard time understanding the relationship between Connie and her mom and even Connie and the other characters. She seems so naive at times and yet she has been so independent most of her life that I feel she should be more worldy and intuitive, maybe even just more aware than she sometimes seems. She always seems to be at sea about something and never fully comprehends her situation. Her character doesn't seem real to me yet......

Connie's character isn't working for me either.  She discussed ideas eloquently early on during her oral exam but since then seems to be floating around, not seeing what's going on around her.  Her reactions are mild regarding Chilton, her mother, the clues she finds, odd occurrences, even the love interest, Sam.  Her character started out so strong and interesting and it hasn't been sustained.

By mid book I had hoped to understand the other characters in the book.   Liz has almost disappeared.  Thomas and the other professors don't seem to have roles anymore.  That leaves Connie, Sam and Chilton.  Other than that Chilton gets creepier, I'm not seeing much development.

Sorry..... I had expected to be more intrugued by the book.  The topic was so juicy! 

As I've said before, I'm finding the "old" story more interesting than the current.

pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher