gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl

Re: Questions for Editor, Leslie Wells?

Thank you for partnering with Barnes & Noble for the First Look Book Club!  It's a wonderful and generous and very much appreciated by us who get in. There are the days of excitement when we read about the new book, the signing up and waiting to hear if we're admitted and the anticipation for the book's arrival and the first chance to dig in and read it.  

This was one of my favorites of all the First Look books that I've read.

I've enjoyed the book very much.  I do wish that there were more pages and details given to the characters in the 1600s.  

I felt that I really liked Deliverance and Mercy and would have wanted to find out much more about their lives.   The book has led me to wantn to read more about the period.  

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Awesome!  :smileywink:

LeslieWells wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Leslie:

Do you know if there will be a sequel or if Katherine has another book in the works?

Eadie Burke

Hi Eadie,

Yes, Katherine is starting to work on another novel and Hyperion will be the publisher.

Thanks,

Leslie

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you  :smileywink:

LeslieWells wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Thank you for joining us, Ms. Wells! This is a wonderful book. I know that the job of editor can be taxing as well as joyful. Can you tell us what drew you to this book and how the editing process has gone? 

Hi there! I've always been interested in the Salem witchcraft trials, so immediately I was interested in Katherine's novel. But I was also drawn in from page one by her gorgeous writing -- we editors see hundreds of novels a year, but we acquire only a handful, so a book must really stand out for us to publish it. The combination of strong plot line and pacing, great period detail, and superb writing drew me in to the book and kept me going.

In terms of the editing, Katherine is absolutely wonderful to work with, and the editing was collaborative (as any good editing process should be).

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I'm curious about the editing process. How do you do it? Are you looking for continuity, cohesiveness, etc? Or, do you make suggestions about the writing itself?

Thanks for taking my question.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

Hi Ms. Wells,

I enjoyed the book very much and was wondering about the ARC process.  At the point that the book is distributed to book clubs as an ARC, is it largely completed?  Would any final changes be limited to typos or is it possible that the author and publisher could add large chunks that would further develop the characters of Deliverance and Mercy and tell us more about their lives?

I do intend to recommend the book to friends, but it didn't feel complete when I'd finished it.  You know the feeling of putting down a wonderful book and being able to just savor the ending?  I'd expected that with this book but instead had been restless for more.   Is there any chance that additional chapters might be woven in?

Thanks!
Mooks

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

LeslieWells wrote:

no4daughter wrote:

Thank you so much for giving us an advance read of this book.  I am enjoying it so much and think that it is the best of the books I have read here at First Look.

There has been much discussion here regarding the "packaging" of the book.  I was so excited when I opened the box I received from B & N to find this beautiful book.  I love the feel of the pages and the flap that encloses them.  Will this presentation be continued when the book is realeased in hardcover?

Hi there,

Thank you for your email, and I'm so glad you're enjoying THE PHYSICK BOOK!

We did work very hard on the cover, flap copy, interior design, and total look of the ARC -- we went through many book designs before we chose this one, and we collaborated closely with Katherine to make sure we had the correct period detail for the plants (mandrake) and other details. We were all very pleased with the way it turned out.

And yes, we will have the same cover and interior design for the hardcover.

Best wishes,

Leslie

Hi and welcome, Leslie!

This book is terrific and I'm really enjoying it.  I had the same impression when I opened it as did many here.  HOWEVER.  Either I am book-flap challenged or the flap sort of gets in the way while reading?  I thought "Oh great, a built-in bookmark", but then if you use it that way, it sticks out rather awkwardly.  Just my HO, but I had to throw it in here.  If I'm missing something, please, fill me in.  I do love the feel of it otherwise!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Me again!  I did want to ask about something that was mentioned in other posts--the typos, etc.

Is this something we should be noting for you, or will the book be going through another editing process?  It seems this came up before on Sag Harbor and it was dismissed as not important in our situation.  Please advise!

Repeating others here, but thanks for the ARC---it's fun for us and I have been sharing my views with others at work, who are now interested in the publication date.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

LeslieWells wrote:

no4daughter wrote:

Thank you so much for giving us an advance read of this book.  I am enjoying it so much and think that it is the best of the books I have read here at First Look.

There has been much discussion here regarding the "packaging" of the book.  I was so excited when I opened the box I received from B & N to find this beautiful book.  I love the feel of the pages and the flap that encloses them.  Will this presentation be continued when the book is realeased in hardcover?

Hi there,

Thank you for your email, and I'm so glad you're enjoying THE PHYSICK BOOK!

We did work very hard on the cover, flap copy, interior design, and total look of the ARC -- we went through many book designs before we chose this one, and we collaborated closely with Katherine to make sure we had the correct period detail for the plants (mandrake) and other details. We were all very pleased with the way it turned out.

And yes, we will have the same cover and interior design for the hardcover.

Best wishes,

Leslie

Hi and welcome, Leslie!

This book is terrific and I'm really enjoying it.  I had the same impression when I opened it as did many here.  HOWEVER.  Either I am book-flap challenged or the flap sort of gets in the way while reading?  I thought "Oh great, a built-in bookmark", but then if you use it that way, it sticks out rather awkwardly.  Just my HO, but I had to throw it in here.  If I'm missing something, please, fill me in.  I do love the feel of it otherwise!

Just tuck the flap behind all the pages and read on! No problema!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Leslie,

I don't have any questions as yet, but I did want to take this opportunity th welcome you.  You have quite a find in Katherine and this book.  Each step of the way through the story, has kept me glued to the pages and wanting more.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

LeslieWells wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Leslie:

Do you know if there will be a sequel or if Katherine has another book in the works?

Eadie Burke

Hi Eadie,

Yes, Katherine is starting to work on another novel and Hyperion will be the publisher.

Thanks,

Leslie

I'm so very happy to hear this!  Thank you for joining us Leslie and for your role in producing such a fantastic book!

Julie

New User
juls74
0 Kudos

Ms. Wells:

Please let me add my thanks for allowing us the opportunity to read this book in the First Look book club.  Of the three books I have read while participating, it is by far the most enjoyable.

I do have to second some of the comments made about the extended book flap.  While I, too, thought that it would work well as a built-in bookmark, I find it getting in the way and being annoying during reading.

However, I have enjoyed the book immensly and must admit I have finished it because I was unable to pace myself!  I will be keeping my eye out for more books from this author.

Out of curiosity and because I have often thought of writing, it it truly reasonable to think that one can break into this field without some type of connection or contact?  Also, do all editors, publishers, etc. have to be based in NYC?

DebsScott
0 Kudos

Welcome Ms. Wells!  Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic book with us! It is a beautiful tome on the outside and terrific reading on the inside. 

I don't really have any questions about the book yet, but was wondering if you could answer a couple about your specific job.  First, do you get to choose the genre of books you want to edit or are you tossed a stack of manuscripts and told to read them?  Is it difficult for you to edit a book if you do not find it particularly enjoyable?  Are y'all hiring?  :smileyhappy:

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hi there, Ms Wells.  So happy that you can be with us as we enjoy The Physick Book.  I'm a bit confused as to the timing of chapters 8, 9 and 10.  Please help me understand.....Chapter 8 takes place in Late June, Chapter 9 in Mid-June and Chapter 10 around the Summer Soltice which I believe is around June 23rd.  Is that the way it should read, am I missing something or is it just a typo?

Thanks alot,

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I would also like to add that although the extra book flap is attractive--it does not fold easily and it is annoying --I just ended up cutting it off --perhaps if it were three quarters size page it could be used as a book mark but not as it is.
Message Edited by deannafrances on 04-07-2009 01:40 AM
Contributor
LeslieWells

gl wrote:

Thank you for partnering with Barnes & Noble for the First Look Book Club!  It's a wonderful and generous and very much appreciated by us who get in. There are the days of excitement when we read about the new book, the signing up and waiting to hear if we're admitted and the anticipation for the book's arrival and the first chance to dig in and read it.  

This was one of my favorites of all the First Look books that I've read.

I've enjoyed the book very much.  I do wish that there were more pages and details given to the characters in the 1600s.  

I felt that I really liked Deliverance and Mercy and would have wanted to find out much more about their lives.   The book has led me to wantn to read more about the period.  

I'm so glad you're enjoying the book, and I agree that the Deliverance/Mercy sections are tantalizing. I think the best historic fiction does make the reader want to read more about the period. Thank you for your email.

Contributor
LeslieWells
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:

I'm curious about the editing process. How do you do it? Are you looking for continuity, cohesiveness, etc? Or, do you make suggestions about the writing itself?

Thanks for taking my question.

When editing a novel, first you read it several times to look for larger issues such as continuity and cohesiveness (as you mentioned), also parts that should be cut, parts that you'd like expanded upon, making sure the characters remain in character, asking the author to clarify things that aren't clear, and so on. Then once the manuscript is in good shape in terms of the larger issues, the editor goes through line by line to work on smaller things such as word choices, sentences breaks, even punctuation. Usually you go through several drafts before the editing process is finished, and the editor goes back and forth with the author, discussing questions, and so on. The author makes the changes that she agrees with in each draft and ultimately we wind up with the final manuscript.

Contributor
LeslieWells

mooks wrote:

Hi Ms. Wells,

I enjoyed the book very much and was wondering about the ARC process.  At the point that the book is distributed to book clubs as an ARC, is it largely completed?  Would any final changes be limited to typos or is it possible that the author and publisher could add large chunks that would further develop the characters of Deliverance and Mercy and tell us more about their lives?

I do intend to recommend the book to friends, but it didn't feel complete when I'd finished it.  You know the feeling of putting down a wonderful book and being able to just savor the ending?  I'd expected that with this book but instead had been restless for more.   Is there any chance that additional chapters might be woven in?

Thanks!
Mooks

By the time a book is in ARC form, it won't be rewritten or added to in a major way because it has been typeset (but not yet proofread-- the ARC is made up from uncorrected pages, but the final hardcover book will have been proofed several times). The main plot of PHYSICK is Connie in the present day, and the Deliverance sections were the historic flashbacks, so less material was devoted to those parts-- but glad you enjoyed them!

Contributor
LeslieWells
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Me again!  I did want to ask about something that was mentioned in other posts--the typos, etc.

Is this something we should be noting for you, or will the book be going through another editing process?  It seems this came up before on Sag Harbor and it was dismissed as not important in our situation.  Please advise!

Repeating others here, but thanks for the ARC---it's fun for us and I have been sharing my views with others at work, who are now interested in the publication date.

ARCs have not been proofread--(they never are) -- because they're made up from first pass pages that have not yet been checked. But the final book will have been proofread several times.

So don't worry about the typos....thanks.

Contributor
LeslieWells
0 Kudos

MSaff wrote:

Hi Leslie,

I don't have any questions as yet, but I did want to take this opportunity th welcome you.  You have quite a find in Katherine and this book.  Each step of the way through the story, has kept me glued to the pages and wanting more.

Thank you so much, so glad that you're enjoying it!

Contributor
LeslieWells
0 Kudos

juls74 wrote:

Ms. Wells:

Please let me add my thanks for allowing us the opportunity to read this book in the First Look book club.  Of the three books I have read while participating, it is by far the most enjoyable.

I do have to second some of the comments made about the extended book flap.  While I, too, thought that it would work well as a built-in bookmark, I find it getting in the way and being annoying during reading.

However, I have enjoyed the book immensly and must admit I have finished it because I was unable to pace myself!  I will be keeping my eye out for more books from this author.

Out of curiosity and because I have often thought of writing, it it truly reasonable to think that one can break into this field without some type of connection or contact?  Also, do all editors, publishers, etc. have to be based in NYC?

There are a number of smaller presses and publisheres, as well as university presses, outside of NYC but most of the main houses are in the city with a couple of exceptions of course.

There is a pretty long apprenticeship before one becomes an editor. The opening job is as an editorial assistant. The job entails answering phones, typing letters, reading manuscripts for the editor, and assisting the editor in the details of putting a book together. The assistant job can last anywhere from 2 to 4 years. The assistants/editors are in the office every day, so to work for one of the NYC houses, you need to live in the city or close enough to commute to the office every day.