Reply
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎02-04-2009

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Finally took a moment to view this.  How fun!  It definitely adds some depth and insight to the background of the book/author. 

 

Publishers, are you listening?! 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎02-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Ponie,

 

I could have written what you did!  I do feel like I'm learning as I go--which I AM!--so that makes it a little more difficult.  As in:  just came back from researching the whole TAGS thing.

 

And I am finding it much easier to comment/discuss this book, where I did not so much with Sag Harbor.  It was my first, marginally interesting to me and then there was that trepidation thing about being new!

 

Welcome, Kindred Soul!  :smileywink:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Contributor
AMoriarty
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

The video is a great idea! It adds to my enjoyment of a book when I can see and hear an author speak, get a little bit of insight into their world and the way the book came into being, and be a bit of a voyeur! Afterall, thats one of the great things about reading....we get to watch others through someone else's eyes. Thanks for giving us the head's up!
Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...


hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Ponie,

 

I could have written what you did!  I do feel like I'm learning as I go--which I AM!--so that makes it a little more difficult.  As in:  just came back from researching the whole TAGS thing.

 

And I am finding it much easier to comment/discuss this book, where I did not so much with Sag Harbor.  It was my first, marginally interesting to me and then there was that trepidation thing about being new!

 

Welcome, Kindred Soul!  :smileywink:


 

I am impressed with your tags research...I still don't get what they are or what they do or what I do with them or what they have to do with me!  Feel free to enlighten me.  I just figured out how to quote post and about Laurels this time.  I was putting tags off til next go round!!!:smileyhappy:
ponie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Glad everyone is enjoying the video and I'm looking forward to Katherine joining us!

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
Posts: 143
Registered: ‎03-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Thank you for the video!  It was great to hear her talk about what started her to write the book. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎02-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...


ponie wrote:

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Ponie,

 

I could have written what you did!  I do feel like I'm learning as I go--which I AM!--so that makes it a little more difficult.  As in:  just came back from researching the whole TAGS thing.

 

And I am finding it much easier to comment/discuss this book, where I did not so much with Sag Harbor.  It was my first, marginally interesting to me and then there was that trepidation thing about being new!

 

Welcome, Kindred Soul!  :smileywink:


 

I am impressed with your tags research...I still don't get what they are or what they do or what I do with them or what they have to do with me!  Feel free to enlighten me.  I just figured out how to quote post and about Laurels this time.  I was putting tags off til next go round!!!:smileyhappy:

Well, I really don't see a lot of value to tags yet, but basically it's like a topic word---like Arlo.   If you tag something with Arlo (relating to him), then you could do a search and find all references to him.  I think! 

 

Now, you just made me go look for how to do "quote post", which I didn't know---thanks!

 

 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...


hookedonbooks09 wrote:

ponie wrote:

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Ponie,

 

I could have written what you did!  I do feel like I'm learning as I go--which I AM!--so that makes it a little more difficult.  As in:  just came back from researching the whole TAGS thing.

 

And I am finding it much easier to comment/discuss this book, where I did not so much with Sag Harbor.  It was my first, marginally interesting to me and then there was that trepidation thing about being new!

 

Welcome, Kindred Soul!  :smileywink:


 

I am impressed with your tags research...I still don't get what they are or what they do or what I do with them or what they have to do with me!  Feel free to enlighten me.  I just figured out how to quote post and about Laurels this time.  I was putting tags off til next go round!!!:smileyhappy:

Well, I really don't see a lot of value to tags yet, but basically it's like a topic word---like Arlo.   If you tag something with Arlo (relating to him), then you could do a search and find all references to him.  I think! 

 

Now, you just made me go look for how to do "quote post", which I didn't know---thanks!

 

 


 

Hey before you know it, we'll know what we're doing!!:smileyvery-happy:
ponie
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎01-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Thanks for the link, PaulH--interesting video!

 

Joan

Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎01-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Paul H.,

 

Thank you so much for posting the video link.  It really adds to the book when you know something about the background of it and where the author got their inspiration from!  Watching this video of Katherine Howe in the areas surrounding Marblehead and Salem was incredibly interesting and added so much to the book.  Thanks bunches!!

 

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Thank you so much for sharing this video!  It's wonderful to see the author talk about something that is basically her baby and how she thought of it.  To take a tour of Marblehead and Salem, so to speak, puts a validity on the book...for although we know the Salem Witchcraft Trials are a real part of history and our book is a work of fiction, to see where the two intertwine with each other as a living, breathing place is fantastic.  The video is a great idea!

 

Arlo is just as I imagined him! :smileywink:

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
candeny6
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎12-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Very neat!

Candi
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

I've watched BN videos before and found them enjoyable and helpful. Now, having one on the book we are reading in the club is extra helpful. Having the author's explanation for her novel and giving some of her feelings is great. Keep up the good work!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Cool video, thank you.
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
Posts: 143
Registered: ‎03-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

It was such a treat to see Katherine Howe talk about how the book was written and what inspired it.  To see that, you get more of a feel of the book.  And the author.  Thank you for providing the video.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
vmann
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Thanks for the video. I always love to have the background, it really helps to understand the book in a greater light.
Contributor
brezi
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎04-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Great video! Thank you for sharing it with us. It was neat to see a little of the Salem and Marblehead areas and to meet Katherine.
Frequent Contributor
PattyJean
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎02-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Always enjoy the videos on the B&N website.  This one was no exception - thanks for pointing us in the right direction, never thought of looking for it since the book was an ARC.
Frequent Contributor
MomforrestMO
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎03-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

I just watched the video and thought it was interesting
MomforrestMO
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Watch a Video of Katherine Howe and the Making of the Physick Book...

Thank you so much for adding this to our opportunities!  Hearing Katherine Howe's voice seemed to put a voice to Connie for me, and the clips of Katherine exploring the settings (the horseshoe above the door, the tombstone, etc.) added to the visual aspects of the novel.  Hearing an author speak about her work adds a personal feel to the writer and a deeper connection with the reader.   
"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper