Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi I'm Beth and YEAH!!! anoth book.  It's so very exciting and most of the first look books have been great.  The Believers is just coming out and I loved that.  Sag Harbor was a great, funny , insightful read.  I will look to read other book by that author.

And this book looks very interesting.  Should be good!

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy, how nice of you to respond.  Thanks.

ponie
Frequent Contributor
adopted1

Hi Ponie.....this is just my second time too (my first was Sag Harbor). And like you, I was a little intimidated with the pros.  I posted a few times and even asked Colsen a question.  I was suprised and pleased when he answered me. That alone made it all worth it! It feels good when what you have to say really means something to someone else. 

I look forward to discussing our new journey with you and everyone else!:smileywink:

adopted1
Inspired Contributor
ABH47
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I've been away from this group for about a year, but am happy to be back and am looking forward to reading and discussing this book! I like historical novels and know this will be a fun and interesting discussion! 

Alexis 

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Linda from Kansas. This is my second First Look book. I am really looking forward to reading and discussing The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. It looks fascinating. I love reading history, historical fiction, and mysteries. This book should be perfect.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.
I am Doreen and this is my 3rd ARC book discussion.

I too am excited to get this book and for us all to delve into it.

I live in California, a young 57.

I have been with B&N book groups since 05. Ive also taken many of the classes they use to offer.

Its always fun and interesting to read the books and ask the author questions.
I have learned so much about the writing experience.

For the newer people to this format, just dive in and have fun. All questions are good.

I enjoy reading all the posts.

New User
Misssweet23
0 Kudos

Hi - I am Marcie. I live in Charleston, SC with my husband and child (a black pug) Mysti.  This will hopefully be my first of many First Look opportunities. I really enjoy historical fiction and Salem Witch stories. I am looking forward to reading this with all of you.
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Hey! adopted1!! thanks for responding.  Like vermontcozy said as well, it's fun to get responded to...something personal to look forward to when you sign in.  I've watched people who have been at this for many First Looks banter back and forth; they "know" each other.  In the beginning you don't know what's OK and what's not - like is there posting etiquette? - but it seems just about anything goes as long as you aren't rude!!! (or spoiling!!!!)
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Misssweet23 wrote:
Hi - I am Marcie. I live in Charleston, SC with my husband and child (a black pug) Mysti.  This will hopefully be my first of many First Look opportunities. I really enjoy historical fiction and Salem Witch stories. I am looking forward to reading this with all of you.

Hey! Marcie!  Welcome!! I just recently read Sullivan's Island (by Dorothea Benton Frank).  It was set in Charleston.  If you like historical fiction check out Robert Alexander's The Kitchen Boy, Rasputin's Daughter and The Romanov Bride.  I heard him speak last night and he really does his research homework.  His website is very cool.

I also just fiqured out how to use "Quote Post".  I'm learning!!!  =)

ponie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi again everyone.  It is so nice to see names I recognize from past First Looks and also so many names I haven't seen before. 

As to those who are hesitant to post, I love to read what other readers think and I'm sure most everyone here does too.  It's part of what make a bookclub so fun. 

Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Nadine.  This will be my sixth First Look Book Club.  I enjoyed reading The House at Riverton, Songs for the Missing, and The Believers.  Unfortunately, The Sister was not my cup of tea and I am still struggling to get through Sag Harbor.  However, I am grateful to Barnes & Noble for giving me this wonderful opportunity to expand my literary horizons.  I am looking forward to reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

My problem is that I often have something I would like to say, but as I'm reading the previous posts I find that it's already been brought up by someone.  So, I'm certainly not going to post something that's already been said.

Am I the only person this happens to?  What do others do about this - posting "I agree" or "I was thinking the same thing" is just not appropriate as it just takes up space.

Cheers,

Amanda

Tarri wrote:

As to those who are hesitant to post, I love to read what other readers think and I'm sure most everyone here does too.  It's part of what make a bookclub so fun. 

Frequent Contributor
Fond_of_Books
0 Kudos

This is my second First Look Book. This is the type of book I would pick up and buy at the book store so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

I live in Las Vegas, and I participate in a book club in addition to all of the reading I do on my own. I'm looking forward to this discussion.

Fond_of_Books

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. ~Louisa May Alcott
Wordsmith
ponie

Amanda-Louise wrote:

My problem is that I often have something I would like to say, but as I'm reading the previous posts I find that it's already been brought up by someone.  So, I'm certainly not going to post something that's already been said.

Am I the only person this happens to?  What do others do about this - posting "I agree" or "I was thinking the same thing" is just not appropriate as it just takes up space.

Cheers,

Amanda

Tarri wrote:

Yikes!  IS it OK to disagree here?  I like agreeing with previous posts (if I do agree) and maybe taking it a step further, building on what was said...and I like to be agreed with (and know I'm not the only one) if someones agrees with what I have said and then perhaps builds on that.  It's nice to see what other people think whether it is agree or disagree with what's been posted.  To do so seems more interactive and I, for one, like that. 

ponie
Reader
KimTX
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Kim. I am really excited to read this book--it sounds so interesting! I enjoyed Sag Harbor as well--that time was my first time in this club. I look forward to interacting with all of you!

Take care,

Kim

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Sure it happens.  The more you post, the more it happens.  But often, each poster has a slightly different perspective or comes at the same point from a slightly different angle, which adds richness and depth.

And if you wind up saying the same thing, so be it.  Nobody's going to slap your hand, and there are no negtive Laurels, so heck, relax and if it happens, it happens!

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Cheers,

Amanda

Tarri wrote:

And let me add one more point. I don't know about others, but when I've made a point that I think had some value, I really appreciate when people respond with "good point," or "I agree," or "I like that point, and would extend it by adding that..." 

And if I think somebody else has made a good point, or expressed something particularly well, I think it's just courtesy to say so.  If all one's posts just fall into the vacuum without any feedback, it can get discouraging, particularly for new posters.  So if I see a good post by an old hand I may pass it by, whereas if it's a newer poster I will often say something so they know their participation is appreciated and will be enthusiastic about participating more actively in future.  

Not that it should be faked -- that's no good.  But sometimes a simple "attaboy" is of real meaning to a person.  

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Cheers,

Amanda

Tarri wrote:

0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Tricia, 20, from Pennsylvania, I love to read and have done a few First Look book clubs before. I really liked Sag Harbor so I hope this book can meet our expectations!
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

And let me add one more point. I don't know about others, but when I've made a point that I think had some value, I really appreciate when people respond with "good point," or "I agree," or "I like that point, and would extend it by adding that..." 

And if I think somebody else has made a good point, or expressed something particularly well, I think it's just courtesy to say so.  If all one's posts just fall into the vacuum without any feedback, it can get discouraging, particularly for new posters.  So if I see a good post by an old hand I may pass it by, whereas if it's a newer poster I will often say something so they know their participation is appreciated and will be enthusiastic about participating more actively in future.  

Not that it should be faked -- that's no good.  But sometimes a simple "attaboy" is of real meaning to a person.  

Well said...thanks for the encouragement.

ponie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I agree with Eman.  You may think you are saying the same thing, but I may read something different and that will make me think.