Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi - I'm Sheri from Southern California.  I'm an avid reader and writer.  This is my first time participating in First Look.  I'm very excited about this as the book sounds amazing!
Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I guess I'm not alone in not having my book yet, whew! I'm in Colorado. Maybe Monday...
Contributor
Jilly
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jill, and I just received my confirmation.  I can't wait to get started!  This is my second time with the first look group. I look forward to our discussion.

Cheers,

Jill

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Liz! These groups can be great fun, and I'm glad you could join us. I love your line "Let's get this thing going!" I certainly am ready. :smileywink:

EZPiecesToo wrote:
Hi!  I'm Liz from Indianapolis, IN.  I have four children, two of my own and two step children - 27, 21, 10 and 7 respectively.  This is my first time so be gentle with me.  My daughter talked me into signing up but I think this is going to be a good thing! Some quiet time is all I need now!  Lets get this thing going!!!!!
Message Edited by EZPiecesToo on 03-28-2009 09:58 PM

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I loved your posts, Jennmarie and Ponie! Reading to/with children is so very important. It is fun to exchange books with my children who are now adults, even more fun to discuss them. The power of books and reading is awesome!

ponie wrote:

Jennmarie68 wrote:

I think the biggest thing is just finding books that they enjoy now so that they don't think of reading as being boring when they grow up. I know for me the Dr. Seuss books I had were always in use. And as I grew out of them there was Matilda and Sheil Silverstein. Once I got into high school I found the Fear Street books by R.L. Stein and I was hooked on those.

I think had my mom not read to me as a child that I wouldn't really like reading now. But I found, at a young age, that reading can be a great form of escapisim. I love to get lost in a good story. 

So just try to find what your kids like, if they enjoy reading while they are young it will stick with them when they get older. 

-Jennifer

I don't remember books being a part of my growing up years.  I remember reading Gone with The Wind in my senior year of high school - but I had to for English, it was not my choice. 

When my kids were young - I had a real good friend who was a librarian.  That's when it all started for me.  I remember she - and her kids - and me - and my kids -went for a weekend at our cabin in Northern MN.  We took tons of books she had picked out.  I remember - to this day I can be there, feel it, see it - me, in the middle of the night, in our Bethany camper, in very dim light, staying up to finish The Secret Garden.  And there's been no stopping me since! 

I read with my kids as they were growing up, things I would have, should have, read when I was growing up, if my mom had been a reader.  It continues to be a marvelous journey. 

I have a 85 year old friend (really my mom's best friend) who calls me often to tell me the books she's been reading the ones I must go out and get and read!  She reads the Reader's Digest condensed but always tells me to read the unabridged.  I have never been disappointed with any suggestion of hers.  I now call her with my "must reads" as well. 

Tho I have tried many times I cannot get my mom to read a book of any kind.  I even tried starting her on Al Capone Does My Shirts (I love that book!) and she just couldn't / wouldn't / didn't finish.  It is sad; she is missing so much.  It's a way to connect with someone. It's like having secrets when you've read the same books.  There's a language from shared books that just those who have read them know about and "get".

Both my girls read lots and we are always passing books back and forth and around...and still toting tons of books to the cabin.  No way a person could read the number of books we take but hey! you gotta have choices!!  Never know what you might "feel" like reading once you get up there.  It's a wonderful thing!

MY, my, my...I sure can (and did) go on and on...not sure where all that came from but thanks for reading!!!  Read on!!!!!

This really should have been in The Community Room.  I won't do this again here.  Actually I didn't notice that until I was finished.  But no more.  Discussions start in earnest Monday so I will stick to the schedule and stay on track.:smileyhappy: I promise.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Jennmarie68 wrote:

We were trying to do the book discussion thing on our own, but the book I picked out she didn't like then the book we decided on together is taking us too long to read. So I did the Sag Harbor First Look and I decided that the structured format would be better for us. So here she is. I think I'll have to talk her through how to do her posts but that's ok. I think she'll like the book and I know that she'll have some interesting insight to add to the discussions.

I saw the Mother & Daughter discussion also and thought it was a little fortuitous that I had asked her to join this one...

I am glad to see I am not the only one who shares the love of reading with their mother.  Actually, I am sure that many of us have gotten our love of reading from other mothers!
I was talking to my mom about this last night. I told her that I wish that I had gotten her to join, as I know she would really like this book.  As it was, I just barely snuck in under the wire.  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Jennmarie68 wrote:

I think the biggest thing is just finding books that they enjoy now so that they don't think of reading as being boring when they grow up. I know for me the Dr. Seuss books I had were always in use. And as I grew out of them there was Matilda and Sheil Silverstein. Once I got into high school I found the Fear Street books by R.L. Stein and I was hooked on those.

I think had my mom not read to me as a child that I wouldn't really like reading now. But I found, at a young age, that reading can be a great form of escapisim. I love to get lost in a good story. 

So just try to find what your kids like, if they enjoy reading while they are young it will stick with them when they get older. 

-Jennifer

Well said Jennifer!  

I should learn to read ahead more posts before I post myself, so that I don't duplicate. Sorry. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Jo and I have participated in a number of First Look discussions.  I started reading this book on Friday and I'm captivated.  Looking forward to some great discussions in the weeks to come.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm Kaye from FL and consider myself to be a voracious reader. I recieved the book Friday afternoon, started it last night and am enthralled already. This promises to be a great discussion. Great choice, B&N! Thank you for this wonderful program.

kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

My name is Karen, I'm 41, and I live in Maryland.  I have an adult son  And of course I love to read.  :-)

Contributor
amajor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  My name is Abby and I live in Central TX.  Look forward to chatting with you all!
---Abby

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
- Groucho Marx
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

Jennmarie68 wrote:

We were trying to do the book discussion thing on our own, but the book I picked out she didn't like then the book we decided on together is taking us too long to read. So I did the Sag Harbor First Look and I decided that the structured format would be better for us. So here she is. I think I'll have to talk her through how to do her posts but that's ok. I think she'll like the book and I know that she'll have some interesting insight to add to the discussions.

I saw the Mother & Daughter discussion also and thought it was a little fortuitous that I had asked her to join this one...

I am glad to see I am not the only one who shares the love of reading with their mother.  Actually, I am sure that many of us have gotten our love of reading from other mothers!
I was talking to my mom about this last night. I told her that I wish that I had gotten her to join, as I know she would really like this book.  As it was, I just barely snuck in under the wire.  

Me mum (who is eighty and still loves her romance novels) loves to read and she's passed that down to HER daughters.  I love to read and have passed that down to MY daughters.  My oldest reads to her two-year-old son and one-month-old daughter so hopefully they will also love to read.  Isn't it wonderful? If we have given our children nothing else, we have given them the love for the written word.  Simply wonderful.

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

Jennmarie68 wrote:

-Jennifer

Well said Jennifer!  
I should learn to read ahead more posts before I post myself, so that I don't duplicate. Sorry. 

Nothing wrong with duplication!  It just reiterates the point in a positive manner. :smileyhappy:
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Contributor
C-c-a
0 Kudos

Hi Aimee,

I live in SW PA near Pittsburgh. I have visited Strasburg and Lancaster. I love the area. My hubby lived in York for a short time.

I participated in BN discussion of A Fortunate Age. This is a great book club.

I started the book on Friday. I am loving it and looking forward to the discussions.

Missy

Reader 4
PHDuarte
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Pamela in Chicagoland. This is my second First Look, but I plead guilty to not participating (only 1 post) on A Fortunate Age - life got really busy. I did read it and enjoyed it.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane sounds like my kind of book - history and mystery!

I love the cover.

New User
logs821
0 Kudos

Hello, My name is Susie.  I am from Massachusetts.  The Physick Book of Deliverance is my 1st First Look Book Club book....looking fwd to reading it.  I love books that are from a familiar location, and this book takes place in MA, my home state!  I should be done my current book within the week and I will be on to this book!
Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I am back for another First Look discussion and I am so excited. When I received the package in the mail and opened it I was SO enamored with the design of the book cover. It is truly beautiful and makes me feel like I am opening up into a whole new world - kind of like peeking into someone's diary. I just want to savor it. I have read the first chapter and I already love this book. I am excited about having the opportunity to discuss this book with everyone. I think this First Look program is a true gift! I cannot wait to get started :smileyhappy:
What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

How long has everyone had to wait for a book that has received one?  I received my confirmation on the 16th and I'm still waiting anxiously for my book.  This is the first time I've joined FL and wondering if you usually have to wait this long.  I wish I was prepared to start discussing tomorrow.

Thanks-

Kayla in Utah

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Kaylami wrote:

How long has everyone had to wait for a book that has received one?  I received my confirmation on the 16th and I'm still waiting anxiously for my book.  This is the first time I've joined FL and wondering if you usually have to wait this long.  I wish I was prepared to start discussing tomorrow.

Thanks-

Kayla in Utah

My confirmation got on the 20th but up to now my book hasn't arrived yet. I'm completely anxious. I had other FL participations but my last book took a long time between confirmation and arrival. This is the one that is taking the longest time. I don't know what is happening but, sorry, I'm not so sad at seeing I'm not the only one who hasn't got the copy yet. My first FLs didn't take more than 4 days to come between confirmation and arrival.Hope we are lucky tomorrow and truck brings our copies.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Kayla, I got my confirmation on the 16th also and I just received my book on Friday. I live in eastern Nebraska and I'm thinking your book should be on its way soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it tomorrow!

kaylami wrote:

Thanks-

Kayla in Utah

April